Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (H)

Burndens Bogs

Not always pretty but deserved overall.

Quite a few positives.....a safer looking defence, a fighting spirit to hang on, if a little naive at times eg Halfalion running off & Isgrove not taking it in to the corner at the end & a lot of attacking options that will only get better when they settle in.....MM seems to be trying too hard so far !!

I'd quibble that the 2 man midfield is leaving us light, but that should get sorted when Lee & Sarce are back & will give IE an interesting selection problem.

MOM shared between Santos & Baptiste. EIEIEIO

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We are improving, slowly slowly catchy monkey. I know we’ve only seen him twice, but not reet impressed with Williams, not quick enough over 5-10 yards and chooses the wrong option too often. 5 minutes before he got sent off he bottled a 50/50 which pissed me off. Gethin Jones is just shite, much rather have Brocky there. Santos/Bap/Thommo/Dec John were immense today. Onwards & upwards, this team will get better.

Individually, I'm not keen on Jones or Isgrove but they seem to have a decent understanding and are better together.

As it happens, I'd rather neither be there but they will do for now

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Surprised to see a few thinking that was in some way a bad performance. We didn't set the world alight but compared to some of our performances in the first part of the season, that one was decent! 

Plenty of room for improvement sure but a new-look team today did well to grind out the win. Looked very positive first 15. Lost our way at times but nothing to be too concerned about, for me. Wonder whether Jensen will get a crack soon or if Evatt will stick with Gilks...

Best XI at the minute in my view is:

Gilks;

Jones, Baptiste, Santos, John;

Lee, Tutte, Thomason;

Gnahoua, Doyle, Afolayan.

Think people are being overly harsh on MJ Williams too - been better than Comley in that role by a long way! He's not glamorous but does the job he's given. Don't think Tutte deserved to be dropped though.

Sarcevic should push for a starting spot too but not sure who would drop out. MJ or Tutte have to play the DM role. 

Maddison needs to show what he's about sooner rather than later. A lot of hype around him, similar to Crawford but not seen much from either this season to justify their reputations.

Isgrove and Gnahoua look much more consistent than him. I'm guessing Maddison is one of those hit and miss players a bit like Ameobi, sometimes fantastic but when he's not, there's not much to his game.

Good post. Although I’d definitely go Brockbank for Jones and Sarcevic in the 10 role when both fit.

The other aspect to this post is there’s far more positive than negative which surely should be the case this evening? And any criticism is constructive while understanding that we are in a period of progress and developing as a team.

People coming on here with just negative posts and claiming we are a poor team is absolute nonsense

Thought we played ok today, especially considering we started players lacking fitness and game time such as John, Maddison and the West Ham lad, we did well to grind out a win in the end, but that's a good sign of a team down to 10 men. 

Only 7 points off the playoffs now, we'll get there this season, still plenty of games to go and enough time for our new recruits to gel, we're going up!

Edited by Blondi

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

Good post. Although I’d definitely go Brockbank for Jones and Sarcevic in the 10 role when both fit.

The other aspect to this post is there’s far more positive than negative which surely should be the case this evening? And any criticism is constructive while understanding that we are in a period of progress and developing as a team.

People coming on here with just negative posts and claiming we are a poor team is absolute nonsense

Biggest challenge now is building out consistency and getting the most out of our new creative players. Look decent defensively.

Don't think it's too late to still have a go at chasing the playoffs or even autos if we really get going but it's a huge task and all it takes is a poor refereeing decision against us or not taking our chances in one game and it could be the difference this season.

19 games to go and 9 points behind 3rd place. Need a lot of wins to make up the gap and a bit of luck. Would snap your hand off for guaranteed playoffs.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Biggest challenge now is building out consistency and getting the most out of our new creative players. Look decent defensively.

Don't think it's too late to still have a go at chasing the playoffs or even autos if we really get going but it's a huge task and all it takes is a poor refereeing decision against us or not taking our chances in one game and it could be the difference this season.

19 games to go and 9 points behind 3rd place. Need a lot of wins to make up the gap and a bit of luck. Would snap your hand off for guaranteed playoffs.

Good runs tend not to start by blowing teams away.

It takes time for confidence to build. In our case it takes times for players to gel and become match fit.

I've not written off automatics yet. If we can build fitness and confidence while playing not the best, March and April could be great - or a damp squib

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Let’s just push for automatic promotion. I haven’t the stomach for a trip to Wembley after last time!

I can see our first in the flesh game being the play off final.

v Tranmere

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Some of the negativity defies belief . Someone earlier conducted a Character assassination of our top scorer .

It really does. I don’t mind when it’s balanced and in context to our situation. But with some it’s so far removed from reality it’s crazy 

11 minutes ago, desperado said:

It really does. I don’t mind when it’s balanced and in context to our situation. But with some it’s so far removed from reality it’s crazy 

People see what they want to see and some people are twisted. My girlfriend is a City season ticket holder and she says that some of the stuff she hears from folk at the match is unbelievable. Some football fans are fucking mad.