Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Beer Gardens

bolton_blondie

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

It’s alright, nice in the summer good for taking the dogs

I didn't think dogs were allowed in the Bob Smithy? I was sure there was a sign at the side door.

Blundells is dog friendly though and decent pub scran too.  Last went there after winning a 3 course meal on golden gamble! 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I didn't think dogs were allowed in the Bob Smithy? I was sure there was a sign at the side door.

Blundells is dog friendly though and decent pub scran too.  Last went there after winning a 3 course meal on golden gamble! 

Blundell was OK last time i went. Typical pub food. Black dog up Belmont is nice for food

• Members
35 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I’ve not took the pup in but the elder one I took in and no one said shit. Probably because I’m harder than a coffin nail 😁

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Sit on the steps here...

20210214-213505.jpg

It's the City Hotel on Escrick Street, Halliwell.

Neither a hotel nor in a city.

What was up with The Escrick Arms?

It’s Eskrick.... Jsl. The City used to have strippers on Sunday afternoons back in the 80’s, some rum un’s went in there. Eskrick St also had the Bowling Green pub near to it’s junction with Elgin St. 

2 hours ago, Dimron said:

The Howcroft, my great aunties old pub. Last I heard the bowling green was still there

If I could bring one pub back from the dead it would be that place. Loved it. Started my drinking in there at 16 when Frank was the landlord. Decent pint of Tetleys but as yoof we drank snakebites with that cider that he kept under the bar in bottles. Went off to uni and when I came back Clive Nightingale ran it and it was still a decent boozer. Seem to remember the same crowd in there as in The Ainsworth - Clive and Baz, Andy S, etc. Plenty well known Wanderers. Great times 

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

If I could bring one pub back from the dead it would be that place. Loved it. Started my drinking in there at 16 when Frank was the landlord. Decent pint of Tetleys but as yoof we drank snakebites with that cider that he kept under the bar in bottles. Went off to uni and when I came back Clive Nightingale ran it and it was still a decent boozer. Seem to remember the same crowd in there as in The Ainsworth - Clive and Baz, Andy S, etc. Plenty well known Wanderers. Great times 

They ran trips to watch BWFC and although lived no where near there went on a few of there trips, think it was Clive that ran them proper BWFC lot on those trips. Seemed a cracking pub, sad to hear it’s gone. 

• Members
10 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

'kinell Rudy, got rid of your tan now?

Just a bit of dirt mate 

10 hours ago, fatty said:

Thomas egerton has a nice beer garden 

Used to have a barmaid in there with the biggest set of juggs I have ever seen 

12 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Sit on the steps here...

20210214-213505.jpg

A dog used to live on the roof. Fell off and broke it's leg when an RAF fighter plane buzzed the place.

10 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

It’s Eskrick.... Jsl. The City used to have strippers on Sunday afternoons back in the 80’s, some rum un’s went in there. Eskrick St also had the Bowling Green pub near to it’s junction with Elgin St. 

I thought it didn't look right when I wrote it...

It always looked rough.

I imagine the strippers were all 'Shazza' perms and tit tattoos - pint pot passed round for 50p's 😀.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They ran trips to watch BWFC and although lived no where near there went on a few of there trips, think it was Clive that ran them proper BWFC lot on those trips. Seemed a cracking pub, sad to hear it’s gone. 

Don't forget Mephy's Tours!

21 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

A dog used to live on the roof. Fell off and broke it's leg when an RAF fighter plane buzzed the place.

It was a canine suicide attempt, nowt to do with the plane...

I was forced up Halliwell every Sunday as my paternal grandma lived on Hughes Street.

It seemed like going back in time coming from the dazzling urban splendour of G/L - it seemed every house still had coal fires, the corner shop still had 'Temperance Bar' picked out in gold leaf on the transcept above the door.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It was a canine suicide attempt, nowt to do with the plane...

I was forced up Halliwell every Sunday as my paternal grandma lived on Hughes Street.

It seemed like going back in time coming from the dazzling urban splendour of G/L - it seemed every house still had coal fires, a the corner shop still had 'Temperance Bar' picked out in gold leaf on the transcept above the door.

The butcher's in Hughes Street was a gem. Think they used it in TV programmes a few times.

6 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

The butcher's in Hughes Street was a gem. Think they used it in TV programmes a few times.

It was, sommat that passed us by too (when it aired - despite our interest).

They redecorated all the 'outsides' of the houses nearby in 'period' colours for free.

My grandma agreed and then moaned about it saying it was 'drab'...

Always found it puzzling people giving a fuck about what their outsides look like - obviously not having it falling to bits or scruffy but everything else...bollocks to that, you probably only see your front about ten minutes maximum per day.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Sit on the steps here...

20210214-213505.jpg

Many moons ago, I used to go in here with my brother and his mates Bopper, Greasy Graham, Teatime Dave, Harry the Bastard and Dirtyneck

Friday afternoons they would have a "stripper" on. I expect it was just some local housewife who had agreed to shove alarming implements up her chimney in exchange for free rum and coke.

One particular afternoon, she had a volunteer on stage who was trying to ram a golf ball up her, and in the melee she somehow managed to get baby oil all over his shirt. He went fucking mental. There was a massive altercation going on at the side of the stage whilst the stripper continued to squeeze golf balls out to the amusement of a drunk and edgy crowd.

My brother and one of his mates then had a bet about who could drink a pint of Guinness through each others sock. My brothers mate did it no problem through the fresh hosiery of my bro's sock. His mate was in the middle of a 4 day bender and the stench alone from his crusty, towelling sock meant my bro managed one suck of Guinness before he was on those very steps chucking his ring up.

It was 3pm.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Did a few of them myself, some good lads went on them. Were you on the Charlton one where the coach broke down? Ended up turning back as we'd never make the game, a few scoops on the way back, got our travel money back and there was the Howcroft beer fesitval on when we landed back.

That was a boozy day

29 minutes ago, Spider said:

Many moons ago, I used to go in here with my brother and his mates Bopper, Greasy Graham, Teatime Dave, Harry the Bastard and Dirtyneck

Friday afternoons they would have a "stripper" on. I expect it was just some local housewife who had agreed to shove alarming implements up her chimney in exchange for free rum and coke.

One particular afternoon, she had a volunteer on stage who was trying to ram a golf ball up her, and in the melee she somehow managed to get baby oil all over his shirt. He went fucking mental. There was a massive altercation going on at the side of the stage whilst the stripper continued to squeeze golf balls out to the amusement of a drunk and edgy crowd.

My brother and one of his mates then had a bet about who could drink a pint of Guinness through each others sock. My brothers mate did it no problem through the fresh hosiery of my bro's sock. His mate was in the middle of a 4 day bender and the stench alone from his crusty, towelling sock meant my bro managed one suck of Guinness before he was on those very steps chucking his ring up.

It was 3pm.

Is that real or a Satan-esque tall tale?