Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Beer Gardens

bolton_blondie

• Site Supporter
On 16/02/2021 at 19:28, gonzo said:

Equally give me a nice pint in front a roaring fire in country pub any day.

Let's hear some recommendations for that...

River Wyre pub a stones throw from me is delightful on a cold winters day. Open fires throughout. Could sit there all day.

Not really  a country pub by anybody's standard, but Stonehill in Farnworth has open fires which have to be lit between end October and March (I think). It's a Sam Smiths house and the MD does surprise visits. If there's a fire not lit there's trouble so the landlord is always stoking them up. 

Regulars call him Coal Hand Luke.

On 17/02/2021 at 06:10, Biggish Dave said:

I’ve booked a weekend in York in July hoping we can go. I’ll be too bladdered to tamper with the wife

FFS. Surely, surely, surely in July. 

I am fairly certain that pubs will be open in early May, but 1+1.  

Hope so anyway as i've booked Crawley on non -refundable. 

Think that's going to be it though for BWFC games.   

22 minutes ago, captainmed said:

FFS. Surely, surely, surely in July. 

I am fairly certain that pubs will be open in early May, but 1+1.  

Hope so anyway as i've booked Crawley on non -refundable. 

Think that's going to be it though for BWFC games.   

If something is riding on Crawley many will travel regardless if no fans are back me included for a day out 

3 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Not really  a country pub by anybody's standard, but Stonehill in Farnworth has open fires which have to be lit between end October and March (I think). It's a Sam Smiths house and the MD does surprise visits. If there's a fire not lit there's trouble so the landlord is always stoking them up. 

Regulars call him Coal Hand Luke.

Sam Smiths pubs? Are the ones who ban phones?

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

If something is riding on Crawley many will travel regardless if no fans are back me included for a day out 

I know a couple of lads from crawley. Ive already said the same that if we need it for playoffs or heaven forbid promotion the place will be busy if pubs are open 

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Traf said:

Sam Smiths pubs? Are the ones who ban phones?

Yes, no phones, no music, certainly no swearing, no nowt. And spot on to last orders too.

I got a bollocking when I called in after a night match and got my phone out to see the goals on Sky Sports.

All the locals gasping and looking shocked. You'd have thought I'd got little Francis out and was waving him about.

• Members
30 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Yes, no phones, no music, certainly no swearing, no nowt. And spot on to last orders too.

I got a bollocking when I called in after a night match and got my phone out to see the goals on Sky Sports.

All the locals gasping and looking shocked. You'd have thought I'd got little Francis out and was waving him about.

No phones sounds perfect but no swearing?

34 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Sounds horrendous

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Last thing I want to do when I go for pint is speak to some pissed up pub wally about total bollocks I have to talk to customers about all week. 

No phones my arse. 

I hope they go bust the bunch of weird cunts.

The landlord told me once that the owner/MD goes out and parks up on the pub carpark early mornings to check what's going on, opening times etc. fires lit, curtains open and everything. 

1 minute ago, Francis Fogarty said:

The landlord told me once that the owner/MD goes out and parks up on the pub carpark early mornings to check what's going on, opening times etc. fires lit, curtains open and everything. 

Jesus.

They do seems really strict with it. My mate got asked to leave the Bispham Hotel for sitting alone outside with his phone. Ignored them twice and then they asked him to leave.

I really don't understand the policy. Talking loudly is one thing, I can get that, but what's thw difference between reading your phone or the paper?

Madness.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Jesus.

They do seems really strict with it. My mate got asked to leave the Bispham Hotel for sitting alone outside with his phone. Ignored them twice and then they asked him to leave.

I really don't understand the policy. Talking loudly is one thing, I can get that, but what's thw difference between reading your phone or the paper?

Madness.

being quirky

1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

He’s called Humphrey and is a really strange bloke, owns most of Tadcaster and won’t let anything get built. Turns up in pubs to ‘spy’ on how it’s being run but not many people know what he looks like