Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Beer Gardens

bolton_blondie

• Site Supporter

Back on the Sammy Smith's theme I don't know London all that well but on a visit about 8 years ago was mooching around Fleet St ( Ithink) and fell into a Smiths pub up a ginnel somewhere couldn't believe the price of a pint from what I'd been paying and although not my favourite beer it was still better than that flat southern piss.

3 minutes ago, Good Knee said:

Back on the Sammy Smith's theme I don't know London all that well but on a visit about 8 years ago was mooching around Fleet St ( Ithink) and fell into a Smiths pub up a ginnel somewhere couldn't believe the price of a pint from what I'd been paying and although not my favourite beer it was still better than that flat southern piss.

Probably Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. 

5 hours ago, MickyD said:

I called in The Angel in the London theatre district. A Sam Smiths pub. It was ok.  Learned a lot about how not to pay full whack for tickets so good result. A pint or two and a saving of over £100.

Anyone who pays full whack needs their head feeling.

Anyway, I'm gagging to get back when the summer is here. So, so many decent pubs and areas. Having said that - it's like anywhere you live - we always meet up with friends where it's easiest to. You always get the, I'm not going South or North etc So round King's Cross or TCR it is...

• Site Supporter

If I'm repeating myself I apologise.

Me and Mrs Fogarty used to go to Chorleywood for a few days, and a pub there The Stag had a great beer garden. We were chatting to the bloke behind the bar and he says We've got one of your Northern beers on in the other room. Holts, you might know it.

Aye, says I I know it, and if i's not Holts I'll know that too.

Anyway he come back with this pint and it was indeed Holts, but flat as a witch's tit. Five bubbles on the top. That worked out at 85 pence a bubble. It was a while ago, when Holts up here was fairly cheap.

Cracking beer garden, mind.

5 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Me and Mrs Fogarty used to go to Chorleywood for a few days, and a pub there The Stag had a great beer garden. We were chatting to the bloke behind the bar and he says We've got one of your Northern beers on in the other room. Holts, you might know it.

Aye, says I I know it, and if i's not Holts I'll know that too.

Anyway he come back with this pint and it was indeed Holts, but flat as a witch's tit. Five bubbles on the top. That worked out at 85 pence a bubble. It was a while ago, when Holts up here was fairly cheap.

Cracking beer garden, mind.

Holts ale never travelled well away from it's brewery, it was strong as fuck within a 10 mile radius.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Me and Mrs Fogarty used to go to Chorleywood for a few days, 

That sounds like one of those play on word place names like Staly Vegas or Ponte Carlo 

Had to double check as i thought maybe you'd really treat Chorley as a getaway destination

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Zico said:

That sounds like one of those play on word place names like Staly Vegas or Ponte Carlo 

Had to double check as i thought maybe you'd really treat Chorley as a getaway destination

Mrs. Fog has a son who lives down there or else I would have thought the same.

We wanted to stay at The Crown in Chorleywood one time but they were full. Landlord gave me a phone number and told me to ask for Jack so I rang the number and this northern accent told us to come and stay at their house where the did a couple of rooms to rent.

When we got there it was Jack Smethurst out of Love thy Neighbour and Corrie and stuff. He's a really nice chap and did a great breakfast. We stayed there many a time.

For what it's worth the pub nearest the Stag is called "The Land of Liberty, Peace and Plenty".

Edited by Francis Fogarty

7 hours ago, Traf said:

What's the score, then?

Basically West end shows play 8 times a week, that's a lot of inventory to shift so you have to sell through multiple outlets. Every agency has a ticketing manager to manage this inventory.

So they divide this up across multiple outlets depending on the deal with the primary ticket company. These get cut up across online sites and the ticket booths. West end shows rely on people booking in advance but so few shows are sold out. You'll usually get what you want at a booth, or rather you did - loads have gone bust not sure if they'll reopen.

The easiest way is currently through sites like TodayTix who have been growing massively over the past 2 years. They take a commission from the show but there is so much on there, and there are a raft of others. Ingresso take a feed from the main ticketing site and push out across loads of platforms. As with anything, it doesn't take long to have a quick search and get a much cheaper price. As I say all day long ticketing managers are shifting allocations around across these sites and channels.

"TodayTix | Theatre Tickets to Musicals, Plays, Broadway Shows, More" https://www.todaytix.com

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Basically West end shows play 8 times a week, that's a lot of inventory to shift so you have to sell through multiple outlets. Every agency has a ticketing manager to manage this inventory.

So they divide this up across multiple outlets depending on the deal with the primary ticket company. These get cut up across online sites and the ticket booths. West end shows rely on people booking in advance but so few shows are sold out. You'll usually get what you want at a booth, or rather you did - loads have gone bust not sure if they'll reopen.

The easiest way is currently through sites like TodayTix who have been growing massively over the past 2 years. They take a commission from the show but there is so much on there, and there are a raft of others. Ingresso take a feed from the main ticketing site and push out across loads of platforms. As with anything, it doesn't take long to have a quick search and get a much cheaper price. As I say all day long ticketing managers are shifting allocations around across these sites and channels.

"TodayTix | Theatre Tickets to Musicals, Plays, Broadway Shows, More" https://www.todaytix.com

Or do as i was advised and rock up at the theatre of choice at ten in the morning and ask at the box office for day tickets. Tenner each for£70-£80 tickets. 

To be honest, having to be at the theatre at 10 is the only bug bear but you see a side of London at a different time than normal. 

Edited by MickyD
Fat thumbs

10 hours ago, Zico said:

The ‘five towns’ is great for that. Ponte Carlo (Pontefract), Cas Vegas (Castleford), Feverley Hills (Featherstone), Shakey Wakey (Wakefield, the weakest of the five) and, my personal favourite, Viet Norm (Normanton). 

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

Or do as i was advised and rock up at the theatre of choice at ten in the morning and ask at the box office for day tickets. Tenner each for£70-£80 tickets. 

To be honest, having to be at the theatre at 10 is the only bug bear but you see a side of London at a different time than normal. 

Day tickets are also at the booths and you don't need to be there at 10. Those are house seats.

Also day tickets are available for National Theatre shows everyday at a set time.