Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Beer Gardens

bolton_blondie

8 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Not really  a country pub by anybody's standard, but Stonehill in Farnworth has open fires which have to be lit between end October and March (I think). It's a Sam Smiths house and the MD does surprise visits. If there's a fire not lit there's trouble so the landlord is always stoking them up. 

Regulars call him Coal Hand Luke.

I  reckon  i've had at least a pint in 99% of Bolton pubs that have been open for business during my drinking "career", but i can honestly say i've never heard of Stonehill, where bout's in Farnworth is it?

yes Humprey regularly checks out the Lion on CNR

put his prices up by a quid after first lockdown which surprised a lot of people

He does spend a lot of brass on character buildings that few other people would touch

Had a weekend in Gloucester a few years ago and they had refurbished a town center pub  with an oak frame and fires , stunning , must have cost a fortune

Edited by crawshawbooth
spelt wrongly

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I  reckon  i've had at least a pint in 99% of Bolton pubs that have been open for business during my drinking "career", but i can honestly say i've never heard of Stonehill, where bout's in Farnworth is it?

The only Sam Smith's I know of around that area is the Bridgewater. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

You've heard about it and had a pint there I'll wager but I called it the Stonehill. It's really called the Bridgewater on Cleggs Lane next to the Bradford Arms. (now flats I understand).

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks to Crawshawbooth for getting Humphreys name out. I couldn't remember his name for fuck.

• Site Supporter

I'll say one thing about  the Stonehill/Bridgewater no fun rule, the do have a darts team, and a pool team and do a Play your cards Right kind of game night called 'Sticky Fingers' I think. That's all I remember about that.

They also do a charity bowls day (CG) on one of the local greens, and the landlady does a Christmas dinner for locals who would otherwise be on their own.

The couple that run it are a great pair, and when they are not in their pub they're on holiday. Good luck to 'em.

35 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

You've heard about it and had a pint there I'll wager but I called it the Stonehill. It's really called the Bridgewater on Cleggs Lane next to the Bradford Arms. (now flats I understand).

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks to Crawshawbooth for getting Humphreys name out. I couldn't remember his name for fuck.

Ah The Bridgewater Hotel - Buckley Lane? Been in both there and The Bradford Arms back in the day. I read a review somewhere that described the Landlord as “ like someone out of Viz” it tickled me. Why would you call it The Stonehill?? Just curious like.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Ah The Bridgewater Hotel - Buckley Lane? Been in both there and The Bradford Arms back in the day. I read a review somewhere that described the Landlord as “ like someone out of Viz” it tickled me. Why would you call it The Stonehill?? Just curious like.

Yes, Buckley Lane. Tony the landlord is like a Viz character I suppose. He's a great bloke mostly. Just some odd things he  comes up with. I called in (again after a match) and put my fiver on the bar while I took my coat off, cleaned my steamy specs off etc.. I got back to the bar and my fiver was still there, with my pint and he says 'don't put the money on the bar, give it too me in my hand.' So I gave him the fiver in his hand and he put my change down on the bar.

I still don't know what it was all about.

Iirc the doctors and chemists on Buckley Lane are/were called The Stonehill Surgery/The Stonehill Pharmacy...

When we were all about twenty the Farnworth/NB contingent of our little troupe, when not in The Halfway House, supped in The Bridgewater. They always begged us to tone it down when we came up for a drink, lest they get barred.

They loved it in there as you could buy a plastic 'earthenware' bottle, fashioned after those the herbalist kept sarsparilla in - they could then be filled with about four pints at chucking out time.

A mate was once going early, driving back and my jacket was in his car, I did the heinous crime of taking my pint with me as we walked to his car. The landlord abandoned his busy three deep bar to follow us out and wordlessly wrench the now dregs only pintpot from my hand, tit.

It was obvious I was coming back in.

It was also only a bog standard glass too.

All the other (FW, NB) lads pretended they didn't know me when I came back in.

This Humphrey sounds like a reet odd fucker, he's not even one of those self-made obtuse Yerkshire twats one sometimes meets as he's an heir rather than an originator.

He's probably drank loads of gob/piss down the years.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Yes, Buckley Lane. Tony the landlord is like a Viz character I suppose. He's a great bloke mostly. Just some odd things he  comes up with. I called in (again after a match) and put my fiver on the bar while I took my coat off, cleaned my steamy specs off etc.. I got back to the bar and my fiver was still there, with my pint and he says 'don't put the money on the bar, give it too me in my hand.' So I gave him the fiver in his hand and he put my change down on the bar.

I still don't know what it was all about.

Tony Bolton, Tonge Moor lad me thinks, very good amateur footballer in his day .

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Good Knee said:

Tony Bolton, Tonge Moor lad me thinks, very good amateur footballer in his day .

Indeed. He's currently doing stewarding at Lever Chambers for the jab sessions. Stewarded me and Mrs. Fogarty last week, all the time telling us about the three holidays he's got booked (and intends going on he says) this year.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Indeed. He's currently doing stewarding at Lever Chambers for the jab sessions. Stewarded me and Mrs. Fogarty last week, all the time telling us about the three holidays he's got booked (and intends going on he says) this year.

Aye he's a rum un.

Humphrey owns properties on Steep Hill in Lincoln including Widow Cullen's Well pub. An artist friend owned an attached gallery shop and Humphrey let him have the premises for eff all and used to call in every so often for a chat, he was really supportive. Stay on his good side and you'll be alright, piss him off and take the rap.

• Moderators

Ended up in one in Stockport 

Thought fuck it, let's try a pint of mild 

£2.72 or something

I thought she meant each and gave her £6 

That was for two

Turns out it was only around 2.8% but still