Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Decimalisation

Dimron

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Dimron said:

A tanner was six old pence or 2.5 new pence, used to get a tanner bag of chips.

Half a crown was 2/6d or 12.5p... handy coin, looked nice

That’s just absolute fucking nonsense.

I bet Miami was front and centre pushing for decimalisation though.

“Thank me later. Visionaries making change for good!”

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never known any pint anywhere (here in Britain) to be under £1.

🙁

If I used to moan about crap wages etc. when I was younger my old man would always come out with the same rubbish about his 1st pay packet being about four quid, like my paltry 1st pay pack was twenty odd times greater...

Me: "Yeah, you earned four quid, but how much was a pint then..?"

1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I have never known any pint anywhere (here in Britain) to be under £1.

🙁

If I used to moan about crap wages etc. when I was younger my old man would always come out with the same rubbish about his 1st pay packet being about four quid, like my paltry 1st pay pack was twenty odd times greater...

Me: "Yeah, you earned four quid, but how much was a pint then..?"

Student union was 90p when I first started in the mid 90s, or that might have been just for cans of carling. Anyway it were crap.

• Site Supporter

Manchester Student Union did Stella Dry (hey, remember Stella Dry? eh? eh? Do you remember it? Eh?) for 50p a bottle during freshers week in 1993.

I got so drunk I fell asleep outside the Salisbury about 5 hours later attempting to get up the steps to Oxford St station.

Edited by Spider

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

Manchester Student Union did Stella Dry (hey, remember Stella Dry? eh? eh? Do you remember it? Eh?) for 50p a bottle during freshers week in 1993.

I got so drunk I fell asleep outside the Salisbury about 5 hours later attempting to get up the steps to Oxford St station.

Guinness rep used to come to our Union, paid 50p for a Guinness glass and you could keep having refills until his barrel ran out. We used to get a fill up then go round to the back of the queue and drink it before we were at the front again 🙂

2 hours ago, Dimron said:

Guinness rep used to come to our Union, paid 50p for a Guinness glass and you could keep having refills until his barrel ran out. We used to get a fill up then go round to the back of the queue and drink it before we were at the front again 🙂

There's a girl Kent and I know who worked for Deagio after uni. Went with her on some of the training days at Union bars to pour the perfect pint. Most of them didn't drink it so me and my mate supped whatever they didn't want. Battered.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

There's a girl Kent and I know who worked for Deagio after uni. Went with her on some of the training days at Union bars to pour the perfect pint. Most of them didn't drink it so me and my mate supped whatever they didn't want. Battered.

Did you and Kent high five over her back as you made her airtight?

4 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I can just about remember 1/2p's

The only thing one would buy in the entire world were tiny jelly bears from the penny tray.

Vaguely remember pound notes an' all.

some of the later predecimal coins were definitely reused . a ten new pence piece was the same as the florin and the old shilling coin was the same as five new pence. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling_(British_coin)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florin_(British_coin)

definitely remember using king george and young queen elizabeth 'hair down' portrait coins in the early 90s. 

til they shrank them..

80p a pint in the Lion of Vienna when I started supping, although the cheapest I ever saw was a pint of Greenhalls mild in Maxwell's for 65p.

Friday nights student union you'd just drink whatever was on promo. Liebfraumilch one week, double maxim the next, merrydown cider the week after. Different every week. That one week they did Mad Dog 2020, the place looked like Passchendaele come 2am. Bodies and puke all over the shop.

36 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

some of the later predecimal coins were definitely reused . a ten new pence piece was the same as the florin and the old shilling coin was the same as five new pence. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling_(British_coin)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florin_(British_coin)

definitely remember using king george and young queen elizabeth 'hair down' portrait coins in the early 90s. 

til they shrank them..

If one pritt-sticked about four sheets of kitchen foil together then cut circles of it to just over the size of an old 10p - then pritt-sticked that to the coin (and folded the edges over).

Hey presto - 50p piece (in vending machines).

The old "two shilling" 10p pieces (Florins) worked every single time.

We, I mean, my acquaintances, were horrible, we'd, I mean they'd take our big leather Puma schoolbags and go walkabout of a summer evening with a sockful of dodgy 50p's apiece - we'd rinse every Coke machine in Bolton/Farnworth etc.

Buy a can (30p) - get a can and 20p change for 10p outlay.

Used to sell them at school (the cans of pop) for 15/20p...

Thankfully decent CCTV was rare then.

Once me and a mate had a disagreement over sommat and he flounced off leaving me sat on a hill with about 200 cans...

I launched one at him in a fit of pique from about 100 yards then watched in horror as, because of the trajectory from the hill, it arrowed in on his head at about 100mph, heatseeker stylee, missed him by about an inch.

I could see the BEN headline...

"KID COUNTERFEITER KILLS CRIMBO ACCOMPLICE WITH COKE* CAN!"

* It was probably Sprite or Tango tbh, I'd have selected one of our less popular sellers.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

42 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Once me and a mate had a disagreement over sommat and he flounced off leaving me sat on a hill with about 200 cans...

I launched one at him in a fit of pique from about 100 yards then watched in horror as, because of the trajectory from the hill, it arrowed in on his head at about 100mph, heatseeker stylee, missed him by about an inch.

I could see the BEN headline...

"KID COUNTERFEITER KILLS CRIMBO ACCOMPLICE WITH COKE* CAN!"

* It was probably Sprite or Tango tbh, I'd have selected one of our less popular sellers.

anthropic measurements seem folksy and real. 

decimal ones seem like they were made by french people that arent , for want of a better word , autistic enough to be german scientists . 

Edited by e2e4
edited down the quote

• Site Supporter

Not decimalisation, but similar, some “interesting “views on the metric changeover from the time , including some that are still being heard today...

Some people weren’t as clued up as they’d have you believe in the 70s 

15 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

anthropic measurements seem folksy and real. 

decimal ones seem like they were made by french people that arent , for want of a better word , autistic enough to be german scientists . 

I just think Imperial terms, some Imperial terms, read/sound better when relaying an anecdote.

I'd say the yoot might use metric terms in their anecdotes but they probably don't do owt worthy of an anecdote.

Based on some of the 'yeah but, no but' Vicky Pollard-esque drivel I've overheard down the years...