Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Decimalisation

Dimron

• Site Supporter

I used to get a Tanner spends at decimalisation time and knew exactly what sweets that bought me. A week later, clutching y 2 1/2p I ended up having to put stuff back. Bullshit it was the same value! It’s scarred me for life being laughed at by the newsagent, Francis Fucking Walkden for thinking I could afford my sweets.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I used to get a Tanner spends at decimalisation time and knew exactly what sweets that bought me. A week later, clutching y 2 1/2p I ended up having to put stuff back. Bullshit it was the same value! It’s scarred me for life being laughed at by the newsagent, Francis Fucking Walkden for thinking I could afford my sweets.

I've been scarred for life from the penny chews and arrows... my rear molars are all amalgam with no roots left

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I left school Christmas 1970 in pounds shillings and pence and started work 22 February 1971 in pounds and pence.

I didn't know what the fuck had happened.

I used to be as happy in £sd as £&p and also as happy in feet and inches as mm or cm and gallons & litres but  miles and Km requires some stopping and thinking about.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I used to be as happy in £sd as £&p and also as happy in feet and inches as mm or cm and gallons & litres but  miles and Km requires some stopping and thinking about.

I started work in a paper mill office so measurements there were metric anyway so apart from school maths my transition was easy.

On 15/02/2021 at 11:17, Spider said:

Old money sounds like a load of characters from a Dickens novel

I;ve got a tin full of old money, farthings, ha'pennys, pennies, threepenny bits, tanners, bobs, 2 bobs, half crowns, crowns and a lot of the silver money is pre 1930, grandkids love playing with them

Similarly, imperial measurements and metric. Like decimalisation, I was brought up with both. As an engineer, you had to be familiar with both units of measurement. I once took some drawings to the Czech Republic with imperial measurements for a quotation. They might as well have been hieroglyphics.

What is 21” 7/16” asked the Czech estimator.

I spent the night in a hotel converting to metric.