Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Southend (A)

Leyther_Matt

16 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Doesn’t matter who beat who

this League is gash 

I think i must be alone in thinking the standard in League 2 is fairly decent, everyone at least tries to get the ball down and play and the only really gash team i’ve witnessed this season was ourselves early doors. Admittedly there is no stand out team and anyone can beat anyone on their day. I think the standard of football in League 2 has improved a lot since we were last in this division under Parky.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I think i must be alone in thinking the standard in League 2 is fairly decent, everyone at least tries to get the ball down and play and the only really gash team i’ve witnessed this season was us early doors. Admittedly there is no stand out team and anyone can beat anyone on their day. I think the standard of football in League 2 has improved a lot since we were last in this division under Parky.

Maybe I'm missing something here but wasn't the last time we were in this division under Phil Neal? Apologies if I've misunderstood a joke.

57 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Maybe I'm missing something here but wasn't the last time we were in this division under Phil Neal? Apologies if I've misunderstood a joke.

Yeh you’re right, it was 1987 in the old div 4 under Phil Neal. Parky was League 1 ( old Division3) i thought the standard of football in our promotion year under Parky was fairly shite.

The players in this division are pros, so they are very good players. However they are at this level for a reason. Most teams play to a system and when allowed to play look decent. But take them out of the comfort zone they struggle. 
Take Mansfield as an example, passing the ball and closing down with an extra man in midfield they looked ok. But when it came to being pressed themselves they struggled. 
It is all about margins so at top level you see balls constantly played in the right place for players to move onto. Players at this level can play that ball but often it is not quite as accurate. 
I have not seen a great team in the division Orient hammered us but they had shots going in from everywhere which rarely happens at this level and Port Vale just did the basics right.

This is why I think criticism of Williams is unfair, he makes us harder to play against and does lots of little things right. The ball to Doyle for the winner was not 'world class' but it got them turned round , the ball to the west spammer when he hit the post was a simple lay off into space. We do not have to be Man City to do well in these league, hopefully Maddison realises that the million dollar ball every time is not what it is about getting a few basics right is enough then throw in the maverick stuff  

I’ve only seen a few decent teams in this league and I think we made them look ok due to our poor approach early doors

its poor the teams who have come up from the national league and built on tells you that orient/FGR/ Cheltenham and then Lincoln/Luton & Bristol rovers who passed further 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I think i must be alone in thinking the standard in League 2 is fairly decent, everyone at least tries to get the ball down and play and the only really gash team i’ve witnessed this season was ourselves early doors. Admittedly there is no stand out team and anyone can beat anyone on their day. I think the standard of football in League 2 has improved a lot since we were last in this division under Parky.

52 minutes ago, Ani said:

The players in this division are pros, so they are very good players. However they are at this level for a reason. Most teams play to a system and when allowed to play look decent. But take them out of the comfort zone they struggle. 
Take Mansfield as an example, passing the ball and closing down with an extra man in midfield they looked ok. But when it came to being pressed themselves they struggled. 
It is all about margins so at top level you see balls constantly played in the right place for players to move onto. Players at this level can play that ball but often it is not quite as accurate. 
I have not seen a great team in the division Orient hammered us but they had shots going in from everywhere which rarely happens at this level and Port Vale just did the basics right.

This is why I think criticism of Williams is unfair, he makes us harder to play against and does lots of little things right. The ball to Doyle for the winner was not 'world class' but it got them turned round , the ball to the west spammer when he hit the post was a simple lay off into space. We do not have to be Man City to do well in these league, hopefully Maddison realises that the million dollar ball every time is not what it is about getting a few basics right is enough then throw in the maverick stuff  

Agree with a lot in these 2 posts.

I really thought the standard of player and football would be a lot worse than what it has been. Sides like Cheltenham, Crawley and Newport looked good in their cup ties against the big boys and sides lower down (Mansfield and Scunthorpe for examples) have looked decent too.

But as Ani alluded to the consistency of good decision making is one of the key differences in why we have arguably decent sides and players playing in league 2 - no player and no team is doing this on a regular basis.

If we can then who knows where it can take us. But I think we need to accept there will be some reality checks between now and the end of the season, where these aspects of “league 2” inconsistencies will rear their head.

At their best, players like Arthur, Delfonso, Isgrove, Arfalion, Madison, Sarcevic look too good for Div 2, but it is their inconsistency - never mind game to game but even over 90 mins - that has resulted in them playing for us in Div 2.

I also agree that there are no stand out teams - good or bad - in this division & this could work in our favour. If teams continue to take points off each other, it could lower the points required for a play off place or even automatic.

• Site Supporter

The thing about this L2 is that for BWFC it's all new.

Add to that us having a new team just bedding in, visiting new grounds, with no fans in, kicking off at daft o'clock, two games a week. Not to mention shit playing surfaces and even shitter officials.

Ani's comments about players being professionals and therefore decent footballers is correct, and it's the teams that have been in this league for ages who are more clever and less (I'm trying to say niieve but I can't decide how to spell it) than us that are doing for us.

Two sendings off overturned within a week ?

Also, iFollow can take it's share of the blame. If clubs can pay £10 to watch Bolton games it's no wonder we're getting caught. I know this works both ways by the way.

8 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I would agree with that; standard is almost as high as League 1 and it shows from the way League 2 teams have faired against Championship and Premier League teams they are must better than when were in 4th tier

8 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

What...like a slimmer version 🤔

Possibly, hungry gagging for a piece of the action and will up his game now he has competent players around him 

We wonder whether Jensen will get a game.

Evatt today praised the lad, his training & his ability. Then added, pointing to outcomes earlier in the season, this is perhaps not the best time to throw a young goalkeeper into the breach.

Well, that may well be right. But did he not realise, when he signed him, on deadline day, that he was young, inexperienced & similar to Crellin in those respects ? Coz if he did why does it now appear to be a surprise ?

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Been finding it hard to find any enjoyment in it all since the fans left... But I was gutted I missed the Mansfield game so I'm tuning back in tomorrow. Which will almost certainly mean we lose or scrape a draw. 2-1 loss or 1-1. 

Pessimism aside, we've a decent opportunity looking at the next 3 games. 6 or more points from them and we'll be right up there. COYW

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

It really is 

There are 15 points between separating 15 places. Absolute madness

Have a look at the 1908-09 First Division table:

6th (Woolwich) Arsenal 38 pts

19th (of 20) Manchester City 34 pts (and relegated on last day of season because champions Newcastle lost at home to Liverpool, City never having been in a relegation position from their first match till their last just days before Liverpool's great escape).