Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Southend (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Members
10 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Have a look at the 1908-09 First Division table:

6th (Woolwich) Arsenal 38 pts

19th (of 20) Manchester City 34 pts (and relegated on last day of season because champions Newcastle lost at home to Liverpool, City never having been in a relegation position from their first match till their last just days before Liverpool's great escape).

I love you Malc 

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

We wonder whether Jensen will get a game.

Evatt today praised the lad, his training & his ability. Then added, pointing to outcomes earlier in the season, this is perhaps not the best time to throw a young goalkeeper into the breach.

Well, that may well be right. But did he not realise, when he signed him, on deadline day, that he was young, inexperienced & similar to Crellin in those respects ? Coz if he did why does it now appear to be a surprise ?

The goalkeeping situation is getting beyond wierd.  We've got 4 keepers, 3 of them signed by the manager and one that has played a couple of senior games without embarrassing himself, yet its still preferable for Baptiste or Fonz to go in the nets for 80 minutes than "risk" one of them being put in too soon.  And the one that is being relied on came as a coach, not expecting to play.  You couldn't make it up.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The goalkeeping situation is getting beyond wierd.  We've got 4 keepers, 3 of them signed by the manager and one that has played a couple of senior games without embarrassing himself, yet its still preferable for Baptiste or Fonz to go in the nets for 80 minutes than "risk" one of them being put in too soon.  And the one that is being relied on came as a coach, not expecting to play.  You couldn't make it up.

The manager must think Gilkes is the best of the lot, given the career he’s had you wouldn’t argue with that. 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The manager must think Gilkes is the best of the lot, given the career he’s had you wouldn’t argue with that. 

But that's the same career he'd had at the start of the season too? So something's changed, obviously Crellin being cack, but not getting a keeper to become a starter in Jan, I hope doesn't come back to bite us.

Who are our Loan players ? 

MM, West Spammer, Jackson, Zebedee, keeper, John ? 

We can only have 5 in squad, so keeper on bench and Zebedee or Jackson left out  

Imagine when Gills stayed down at Mansfield there were worries  

Edited by Ani

5 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I would agree with that; standard is almost as high as League 1 and it shows from the way League 2 teams have faired against Championship and Premier League teams they are must better than when were in 4th tier

I'd disagree.  League One in the last year or so has had top strikers compared to league two, and that's what sets the divisions apart - an end product.  I agree most teams in this league are neat and tidy, and there are some half decent players, but it all goes to pot when they get near the penalty area.

The strikers in league two are one paced, one footed, poor at shooting, impotent in the air, and don't seem to have a trick or a scoring instinct.  In 2020 League one had Clarke-Harris, Charlie Wyke, Marquis, Ivan Toney, Ched Evans, Matty Taylor, Ladapo, even Magennis, Eaves and Tyler Walker.  I've not seen a striker this year that would cut it at a higher level apart from arguably Doyle and Vaughan, not saying there aren't others but the general standard is poor.

2 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Been finding it hard to find any enjoyment in it all since the fans left... But I was gutted I missed the Mansfield game so I'm tuning back in tomorrow. Which will almost certainly mean we lose or scrape a draw. 2-1 loss or 1-1. 

Pessimism aside, we've a decent opportunity looking at the next 3 games. 6 or more points from them and we'll be right up there. COYW

Well don’t tune in then..... 😉

13 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Thought the team might have flown to this.

where will they stay with no hotels officially open ?  In fact been wondering where any teams are staying if they need to do overnighters.

A lot of Hotels are open for work related travel 👍🏼