Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Southend (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Site Supporter

That was as an important a 3 point haul as last time we were there.

This season, I'm delighted other teams have games in hand. Our schedule is hectic, theirs will be stupid.

It's building. 2 reds over turned, 2 games we would probably have lost at the time called off - then 1 won when we did play it. Stuffy win today etc.

I like Williams. We've missed someone like him. 

Not pretty but nuts to it. Beer please inn keeper

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Donkey Delaney can fuck off, he is shit. It seems a lot of fans on social media are giving Williams the MotM.

That's a bit strong.  We've had far worse, this season and before.  Williams played well, but gives a lot of free kicks away, doesn't seem quick enough to be a defender and a bit weak to play centre back.

Second half like Mansfield they let our centre halves have the ball then pressed as it went to full backs. This meant the game was broken up and had very little possession. 
As the front 4 get better we will need to find a way to play out of those positions. 

• Site Supporter

I don’t care if every game is shit but we win 1-0.

Getting out of this dungeon is all that matters.

Evatt gets results, he gets my backing.

Hopefully it’s dawned on him now that grit and grind are what you need first.

Fine by me. We can’t be there, so let’s just scrap like pikeys and get out of here.

That's a significant win dug out in difficult circumstances ... only a bit more than 48 hours an unlikely 3 points at Mansfield. If we now win these two upcoming home games I'm going to have some serious belief in our prospects this season. It's a big if given our home form since August. Let's see what happens .. finding ways to win games of football against the odds is a very, very handy habit.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

That's a significant win dug out in difficult circumstances ... only a bit more than 48 hours an unlikely 3 points at Mansfield. If we now win these two upcoming home games I'm going to have some serious belief in our prospects this season. It's a big if given our home form since August. Let's see what happens .. finding ways to win games of football against the odds is a very, very handy habit.

Absolutely 

The confidence must be starting to really hit home as well through the squad now.

Roll their sleeves up for every game and win the battles, we can definitely be troubling the top 3 by May

Edited by Spider

14 minutes ago, Spider said:

I don’t care if every game is shit but we win 1-0.

Getting out of this dungeon is all that matters.

Evatt gets results, he gets my backing.

Hopefully it’s dawned on him now that grit and grind are what you need first.

Fine by me. We can’t be there, so let’s just scrap like pikeys and get out of here.

This

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, bolton in bedford said:

Shittiest game to watch all season, yet  the most positive I’ve been all season. Buzzing.

22 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Williams has some engine on him, he runs all day long, proper worker in the middle of the park, exactly what we missed earlier in the season.

Not the prettiest player, won’t score a lot of goals, and will go under the radar but thought he was excellent today 

Lots of posts to agree with, but these two sum the victory up for me today. 

Like Bedford I’m absolutely delighted after that, the alcohol will flow well tonight, it really was a horrible, frustrating game, but a clean sheet and 3 points is enough to make us all believe, surely?

And Williams was outstanding today- MOM 

And for all the IE doubters out there, he has to take a lot of credit for that victory today; an attacking, positive starting line up, a settled back 4 which is delivering, faith in his keeper who is a calming and experienced influence, subs which made a difference (again), players who HE brought in settling well and adding real quality and being pivotal in giving us hope when all seemed lost 1 month ago.

• Site Supporter

Biggest thing for me, we now have decent players. When they don't play very well, they make sure we don't get beat.

1st half, a few times, Lee and John combined and it looked championship class. 2nd half, nobody did much but Southend didn't really look like scoring either 

Just now, Max Cherry said:

Dreadful second half but 3 points. Better than playing well and losing. Hope IE is learning from these lapses. The squad we have now really is strong for this level. Well done to Williams today we play the flair lads in midfield we need someone like him. Some of the better technical players struggled second half. Great to see Sarce back as well - another who has had some OTT stick from our lunatic fringe

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Embarrassing win

27 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

embarrassing fan

27 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Eh?

Maybe he’s saying that playing shit and winning isn’t an embarrassing win, it’s a win. Look at the scores in Sunday’s papers; they won’t say, Southend 0 - Bolton (embarrassingly) 1 

Come the end of the season if we push further on and get an automatic promotion spot, nobody will give a fuck about the standard of the game. Don’t be embarrassed, be thankful we are three points  closer to a possible promotion.

A win is a win no matter how we get it I agree William's man  of match hes what we have been missing .

Hats off to IE hes starting to get this division and he changed the system which was not working.

Starting to believe so new keg on my beer pump so plenty nice cold draught beers tonight.🥳

15 minutes ago, Ani said:

Second half like Mansfield they let our centre halves have the ball then pressed as it went to full backs. This meant the game was broken up and had very little possession. 
As the front 4 get better we will need to find a way to play out of those positions. 

This , main difference was letting Santos & Baptiste fart about with the ball with no wide outlet as John & Jones were locked down .This puts pressure on with shitty clearances most of which end up in touch .Gilks guilty of same .We lose the initiative & it turns into a scrap fest.

We do need a plan B & it’s not through Doyle who for all his good points isn’t a target man. Think Arthur up top might give us the physicality we need.

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Maybe he’s saying that playing shit and winning isn’t an embarrassing win, it’s a win. Look at the scores in Sunday’s papers; they won’t say, Southend 0 - Bolton (embarrassingly) 1 

Come the end of the season if we push further on and get an automatic promotion spot, nobody will give a fuck about the standard of the game. Don’t be embarrassed, be thankful we are three points  closer to a possible promotion.

No, I was taking the Micky out of whoever said it was an embarrassing game. I’ll take any win, Micky!

Edited by boltondiver

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Thanks Mickey. 

Just meant my first reaction to a stuffy away win would not be embarrassment. Port Vale was embarrassing.  Who was embarrassed by that smash and grab at City that time? Not me. Not disputing we were lucky btw or how bad we were 2nd half