Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are we going up?

globaldiver

• Members
7 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Start playing for 90 minutes & we'll walk it. I'm not sure we've done that once so far.

5 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Absolutely.

I'm sure we'll miss out this year but I was comforting myself with the idea that we'd storm it next season instead.  We won't though until this is addressed.

Last few days I’ve noticed something with Wanderers. 

we start with the back four fairly deep with the DM sitting 

the wingers tuck in, Doyle is further back and there is a ball to be played over the top. 

around the seventy minute mark, our shape has changed, the line moves up, the wide men almost go in a forward 3 with Doyle the number 10 drops into the hole and we run hard and hassle them, press high up the pitch, it’s a change in tactic and the reason we score late goals.

I think IE has signed fit players, with a high endurance, so the 70 mins come we run hard when the other teams are tiring.

The other day four of our players went and got energy snacks at 65 mins, this is to give them that little burst.

Be hard to beat in the first, tire them out, then run teams hard 

YHIHF 

Edited by Rudy

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Last few days I’ve noticed something with Wanderers. 

we start with the back four fairly deep with the DM sitting 

the wingers took in, Doyle is further back and there is a ball to be played over the top. 

around the seventy minute mark, our shape has changed, the line moves up, the wide men almost go in a forward 3 with Doyle the number 10 drops into the hole and we run hard and hassle them, press high up the pitch, it’s a change in tactic and the reason we score late goals.

I think IE has signed fit players, with a high score endurance, so the 70 mins come we run hard when the other teams are tiring.

The other day four of our players went and got energy snacks at 65 mins, this is to give them that little burst.

Be hard to beat in the first, tire them out, then run teams hard 

YHIHF 

All about being level on 65 as a minimum

• Members

I also think the idea is to be compact in the middle of the park, run the triangle passing, always have that option to have someone who can turn out, and also someone to receive the ball forward facing. That’s how you manage the midfield and when the ball is lost, the midfield doesn’t get overran. That’s why you will see Williams get himself about all across that middle third, he’s anticipating where their striker/10 is going to pick the ball. 
If we commit forward we have a breakdown man, Mansfield’s second goal was this, he mistimed his tackle though and they scored.

IE isn’t just naming an XI and expecting to pick up a result, there is real methodical coaching in his play and he’s now getting the players he want

Every player even the keeper can play small intricate passes, I’ve seen people say I wish we wouldn’t mess about with it at the back, when this happening , two midfielders will be moving into space or showing for the ball, drawing their forwards into our 3rd leaving spaces.

I have full faith in IE and getting us up the table, slowly slowly catchy monkey 

Difficult to judge the recent home games with being down to 10 men last 2, all we've seen is backs to the wall stuff, and taking the season as a whole we've only "won" the 2nd half 3 times and lost 7.  

Our 2nd half form really has to improve at home, let's start by not giving the ref an excuse to send one off.

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Every player even the keeper can play small intricate passes, I’ve seen people say I wish we wouldn’t mess about with it at the back, when this happening , two midfielders will be moving into space or showing for the ball, drawing their forwards into our 3rd leaving spaces.

They are now, but they weren't earlier in the season. We've got the midfielders to do it now.

Bearing in mind almost every team above us has at least a game in hand, yes I think we're in good shape to go up.

Edited by Francis Fogarty

Just for interest, if everyone's average points per game so far continues at the same rate the top 7 will be:

FGR 84 pts, Cambridge 80, Carlisle 79, Cheltenham 77, Salford 74, Tranmere 74, Exeter 73.

Morecambe also 73, Newport 72, BWFC 10th on only 65, so currently 8 points off the play off pace.

To finish 3rd we "need" another 38 pts, 2.24 per game - unrealistic.

To finish (joint) 7th, we need another 32 pts, 1.88 per game. That's title winning form, the best in the league is FGR on 1.82 and Carlisle and Cambridge are only on 1.73.

So 2 home games this week - if we get 6 pts we're well on track, if we get 4 its looking like an opportunity missed to make up some real ground.

• Site Supporter

It's going to be a very strange season, games in hand will almost certainly lower the ppg needed than they are currently going at.

I'm delighted we play Carlisle late on in the season, they will be knackered by then.

I wouldn't swap our squad or only having 17 games left for any other team in the division. Granted, i'd like a few points but i firmly believe we'll get them now this current group is starting to bed in and get their fitness levels up.

22 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just for interest, if everyone's average points per game so far continues at the same rate the top 7 will be:

FGR 84 pts, Cambridge 80, Carlisle 79, Cheltenham 77, Salford 74, Tranmere 74, Exeter 73.

Morecambe also 73, Newport 72, BWFC 10th on only 65, so currently 8 points off the play off pace.

To finish (joint) 7th, we need another 32 pts, 1.88 per game. That's title winning form, the best in the league is FGR on 1.82 and Carlisle and Cambridge are only on 1.73.

So 2 home games this week - if we get 6 pts we're well on track, if we get 4 its looking like an opportunity missed to make up some real ground.

But over the last 20 games, which is a decent form indicator, especially as we have less than 20 to go, we're 7th in the table, just 4 pts shy of top.

You can prove pretty much anything with stats.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

@traf is right you can prove pretty much anything with statistics 

3 things

this evening 6 of the top 9 are playing each other - that impacts immediately on the above and this is going to carry on happening between now and the end of the season - we just need the wins and draws of other teams to fall the right way for us 

On transfer deadline day Evatt mentioned a target of 15 wins ( 45 points ) from 21 games  - on that basis to hit his target we now need 35 points from 17 games 

and throw this in for interest only from another clubs forum - gives an idea as to how others see the situation  ( Bradford City fans ) 

Looking on the league 2 forums all the talk is of Bolton being the only team to make a late run for the autos and being certs for a play off position.
A few sides in the top 10 losing momentum with the odd whisper about us.
This is exactly how it should be.
I don't want any pressure and extra hype placing on us.
Many feel Cambridge and FGR are certs for automatic promotion with the last auto place and play offs totally up for grabs.

Edited by Benny The Ball

22 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

3 things

this evening 6 of the top 9 are playing each other - that impacts immediately on the above and this is going to carry on happening between now and the end of the season - we just need the wins and draws of other teams to fall the right way for us 

On transfer deadline day Evatt mentioned a target of 15 wins ( 45 points ) from 21 games  - on that basis to hit his target we now need 35 points from 17 games 

and throw this in for interest only from another clubs forum - gives an idea as to how others see the situation  ( Bradford City fans ) 

Looking on the league 2 forums all the talk is of Bolton being the only team to make a late run for the autos and being certs for a play off position.
A few sides in the top 10 losing momentum with the odd whisper about us.
This is exactly how it should be.
I don't want any pressure and extra hype placing on us.
Many feel Cambridge and FGR are certs for automatic promotion with the last auto place and play offs totally up for grabs.

I think Bradford have been a bit fortunate lately and hopefully they drop off. 

Based on the xG of their last few games. 

They took 3 pts from Southend in an even game.

3 pts off Barrow, despite barrow edging the stats. 

3 pts from Morecambe in an even game. 

3 pts off Cheltenham in an even game. 

So they have 12 pts from games where they could have had 3 on the balance of play.  Watching them it could be a different story, but hopefully they don't get into contention as we have enough above us already to compete with. 

1 hour ago, Traf said:

But over the last 20 games, which is a decent form indicator, especially as we have less than 20 to go, we're 7th in the table, just 4 pts shy of top.

30 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

3 things

Yeah they're just stats, and the only thing we should concern ourselves with is continuing to pick up points, whatever the others do.

But... they've all played each other once already and still accrued the points they've got now (low compared to top teams in other divisions) - so they would still have to deteriorate to decrease their average points, when if other leagues are anything to go by they might improve.  Also if they drop points due to fatigue etc, someone else is getting the points instead, potentially bringing others into it because everyone down to about Scunthorpe still has a chance.

Who knows, it will be interesting to see how it changes, just hope our average increases this week.  

If we can just start putting away one or two of the really good chances we make in the first half, it will both take the pressure off us, lead to the opposition chasing the game, tiring and allowing us to up our game in the last 15 again. Sadly we don’t take our chances and until we do we’re going to struggle to win the games we need. Starting tonight I want to see us 2-0 up at half time.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Traf said:

The other thing he needs to take into account, is that should we beat these teams he refers to (as we realistically need to) then their ppg is damaged and ours enhanced.

Such that, we may not actually need quite as many as he suggests.

All hypothetical anyway- just need to win games.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

just need to win games.

This. Keep winning and hope the teams above slip up, which they are likely to do at some point.

Would be good to have some teams looking over their shoulder at the White Army on the march.

COYWM

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, Sweep said:

From what I've seen I'm not even sure that we'll come close to  - I'd have thought a finish about 8th or 9th, which obviously is disappointing, but the bad start has scuppered any realistic chance I'd have thought

We could get there tonight!

Games to come against a number of teams above us too.

We drew with Cambridge and Carlisle away, Newport have gone pants. We've already done Salford, so shouldn't be fearing any body. 

On 20/02/2021 at 19:48, Dimron said:

I'll let you know on Wednesday. The two form teams BWFC/Scunny are meeting on Tuesday night. Win that and it's definitely on, then its compete for everything,  keep a steady ship and play every game as it comes.

I'd like to  think play offs

Best performance of the season so far.

It's on as long as we keep our heads down and don't get beyond ourselves. Let's keep doing what we're now good at please