Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are we going up?

globaldiver

Hopefully the fixtures catch up on teams. We have a solid squad and have played Saturday and midweek since Morecambe (5 games). The next 5 are also Saturday/ midweek. Wouldn't mind a bit of a break to keep the best XI out, but that's not happening.

So if we are having to fit so many in, can't imagine what Carlisle have. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Razaldo9 said:

Hopefully the fixtures catch up on teams. We have a solid squad and have played Saturday and midweek since Morecambe (5 games). The next 5 are also Saturday/ midweek. Wouldn't mind a bit of a break to keep the best XI out, but that's not happening.

So if we are having to fit so many in, can't imagine what Carlisle have. 

Just looked - they are weekend/midweek all the way through to the end of the season apart from the last week where they have a week in between games 45 and 46. Ouch

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

To be fair I think we have the strongest squad in the top half, Take Vaughan out of Tranmere, Mullin out of Cambridge, and that would pretty much dry up their goals for, we have strength throughout, nothing to worry about IMO

Take Santos out of our defence......

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Otherwise I just hope that the bottom teams can take a few points off the top teams and the top teams draw when they play each other to give us as much external help as possible.

Yep, exactly.

Funny set of fixtures this weekend - can tell it's getting interesting , i'm studying all the other fixtures now - with it nearly all being top half v bottom half, so we could do with a few fighting performances from strugglers. ( not Barrow obv ). 

4 hours ago, Steejay said:

The play off finals are 29 - 31 May but when is it decided who is playing on which day?

It used to be Div 2 on the Saturday, 1 on Sunday, Championship on the bank holiday Monday but this got changed a bit recently (I think).

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

I thought it was Saturday Sunday Monday

we'll be promoted anyways 

Fairly sure they dicked about with it the other year so I’ve reserved hotels with a variety of combinations around the three days (free cancellations, of course).  

Not that they’ll be needed when we’re parading the championship trophy down Chorley New Road at the end of June and I’m chucking £20 notes about. 

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fairly sure they dicked about with it the other year so I’ve reserved hotels with a variety of combinations around the three days (free cancellations, of course).  

Not that they’ll be needed when we’re parading the championship trophy down Chorley New Road at the end of June and I’m chucking £20 notes about. 

The issue like with the euros will be train prices obviously can’t book now but can see a considerable hike 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well if it helps (it wont), I've updated yesterday's points per game analysis. Top 10 now:

FGR 84, Cheltenham 79, Cambridge 77, Tranmere 76, Carlisle 76, Exeter 76, Morecmbe 75, Newport 72, Salford 71, BW 67.5

So the projection for 3rd place has gone down from 79 to 77, and our's has improved from 65 to 67.5 - instead of needing 2.24 per game we only need 2.07 for automatic (33 more points - 11 wins from 16).

7th place projection has increased from 73 to 75 - its all closed up, the gap between 3rd and 7th is only 2 points now instead of 6.  To get 7th we needed 1.90 per game yesterday, now we need 1.95 (31 pts) as 4 teams around the play off positions won.

No charge for this service.

Which proves the point I was making: for us to go up, our ppg would have to improve, which in itself means that all others' can't. 

If we win Saturday, it will shift again, and as others above us are playing each other, things will close up more.

We are now 8 points behind the top team, win our game in hand and beat them when we play them, and that's down to 2 points.

Of course other teams have games in hand, but some of them will be against each other. 

No doubt to complex a problem to fully work out yet, but it's probably closer than we'd imagine that if we were to win every game then we'd mathematically go up.

A full half to go at FGR but currently getting beat by Southend at home (I would expect them to get a draw at least tbh) but these have won at Carlisle & Newport in recent weeks

Think folk are looking too much into fixtures games in hand etc in a league where there’s no run away team/s

26 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I'm just moving into Sweep's pub for the weekend.

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

The issue like with the euros will be train prices obviously can’t book now but can see a considerable hike 

Depends if we’re even allowed on trains by then! Can get an off peak return to Euston for £90ish which sounds ridiculous in isolation but if it’s the only one all season...

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Championship now goes first, they get first dibs on the pitch.

Makes sense, League Two might end up the Monday in that case