Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are we going up?

globaldiver

• Members
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve just had a quick flick through each of the top teams fixtures and I have Cambridge 82, Cheltenham 80, Tranmere 79, FGR 79, Morecambe 79.

That would mean 80 (5 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses) gets us promoted

83 wins the league (6 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss)

We’re gonna win the league!

BORIS OPEN THE STADIUMS YOU CUNT WE HAVE A PITCH THAT NEEDS INVADING 

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

BORIS OPEN THE STADIUMS YOU CUNT WE HAVE A PITCH THAT NEEDS INVADING 

Let's organise a peaceful protest in the ground, 1st May. 

Start around 2.55pm 

Dunno what we'll be protesting, but am sure we can think of something 😀😀

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

I'm actually enjoying that we've given them all a half season start. 

It's a bit like the piss- taking at school where you hop about telling folk you'd win this playing on one leg. 

The Exeter fans I work with quite correctly said, well you should with a budget 2-3 times bigger than pretty much  everyone else in the league. Felt a bit Roger the Red for a few minutes. 

With what our respective clubs put us through through administration enjoy every last minute 

Edited by green genie

• Moderators
5 hours ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Trampmere's next 2 games could see them drop like a stone!

Pretty please, with a big fookin' cherry 🍒  on top!

I think, I'd like them to win both, or draw both 

Probably best they don't lose anyway

1 minute ago, green genie said:

The Exeter fans I work with quite correctly said, well you should with a budget 2-3 times bigger than pretty much  everyone else in the league. Felt a bit Roger the Red for a few minutes. 

Have we actually though? I assume we have, and we should do really when you compare the size of the fan base and other income streams, but I’ve never seen anything that shows our player budget is 2-3 times the rest of the league.

Also, I reckon Salford will probably have the highest playing budget and it’s not doing them any favours.

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t be at the top of this league, and I’ve no doubt that we have many advantages over other smaller teams, but I’ve also never seen anything that says Bolton’s average player salary is £3k per week and the rest of the league is £1k per week for example.

26 minutes ago, green genie said:

Increasing Sarce and Doyle's wages should be enough of a clue

We signed those 2 though and then a load of conference/ league 2 players. We were under the salary cap and weren't at the limit either. 

Say we were actually paying slightly over the 1.5m when accounting for registering sarce and Doyle pre cap. I doubt most teams are paying £500k a year. 

Evatt said, consistently, that we were well inside the salary cap.

There were a lot of other managers moaning that we outpaid others when signing Doyle & Sarce ... though we signed them before the cap was introduced & so the the rules had them counted at average rates. We then brought in a large number on a pittance in footballer terms.

The cap was still in place when we got the quality in, in January, when Evatt was saying we still had scope, but John, Lee & Maddison must have been a stretch.

However, at the risk of going all Man Yoo & Liverpool on people ... f'kem. We got precious little support as we slid & say the Peterborough's & Doncaster piss all over us. I look forward to hauling them in over the coming few years.

1 hour ago, green genie said:

With what our respective clubs put us through through administration enjoy every last minute 

I’m not sure with salary caps and the transfer embargo we were under this is correct. However Man U probably have the biggest budget and they haven’t won the league for years. 

On 24/03/2021 at 11:26, jmjhb said:

Following last night's results:

38.5% chance of Top 3:

7.8% 1st

13.9% 2nd

16.7% 3rd

78 points sees a 47% chance of auto promotion

79 points 64.4% chance

58.6% chance of Top 3

18.3% 1st

20.9% 2nd

19.4% 3rd

78 points - 42.1% chance of promotion

79 points - 63.2% chance

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Hoping Sarcevic is back soon he will make big difference, looking at all top 6 fixtures I think it’s between us and Cheltenham for the title and a fit Sarcevic might just tip it in our favour. 

I am not expecting him back this season. He is a big miss in games like today.