Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are we going up?

globaldiver

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, desperado said:

We had this debate a while back and my opinion hasn’t changed and is more aligned to @RUREADY2ROLL

The issue is consistency.

The standard in this league is better than I thought it would be. There’s some talented players, progressive managers, sides who can execute a plan to stop other teams playing or impose their strengths to get results against anybody. Crawley and Cheltenham did it against sides in the top 2 tiers, as did today’s opponents  Newport, who beat Watford, Swansea and drew against Newcastle.

While we are on a good run and on our day capable of beating anyone in this league, we are, as we have seen these last few weeks, not immune to what plagues all these sides in the bottom tier, consistency. 

And let’s be honest, that’s why we are all there. I think it’s easy to get carried away thinking we will brush away every side we play and perform to our best every week, it’s not going to happen. And while I’ll be disappointed if we don’t win today, I won’t be coming on here calling out the players, IE, and their decision-making inconsistencies, if things don’t go to plan.

I would still believe that any result today would still leave us in a position for promotion.

Totally agree. Our point on Friday taking us 1 point further away from the 5 teams behind us means even a loss today isn’t the end of the world.

Sure, it makes it more difficult but 21 points remaining after today, teams arses twitching, it’s going to be a fun ride. Not for the faint hearted.

19 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I agree, I don't think we'll be Champions, probably a bit too much to do for that, but I don't see why we can't grab that third place

Win the next two and all of a sudden we’re back in the frame for champions.

Results elsewhere went our way again. Back on the horse with the next two and all will be well. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, desperado said:

while I’ll be disappointed if we don’t win today, I won’t be coming on here calling out the players, IE, and their decision-making inconsistencies, if things don’t go to plan.

I would still believe that any result today would still leave us in a position for promotion.

My opinion from this morning, even after a defeat, hasn’t changed, we are going up.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Still have every faith. Not even arsed we lost today. Had to lose somewhere and now is the right time to do it.

I think Maddison needs a couple of starts.

Agreed. 

Programme for the week... train, work hard, focus and win on Saturday

I wouldn’t fancy us in play offs :(

Especially if it involves them scruffy rat cunts from Birkenhead. 

I just can’t see anyone gathering enough form to stop us going up automatic, everyone is all over the place. 

Getting Sarcs back anytime soon would tip the balance for me. No coincidence him being missing has lead to a dip in form/creativity. 

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Getting Sarcs back anytime soon would tip the balance for me. No coincidence him being missing has lead to a dip in form/creativity. 

Me too, really showed we missed him recently.

I'm also concerned with out ability to break teams down at home who just come and sit deep and let us have the ball. Will be a good test against Harrogate as I'm sure they'll do similar to Colchester.

Sarc will definitely help with this.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I wouldn’t fancy us in play offs :(

Especially if it involves them scruffy rat cunts from Birkenhead. 

I just can’t see anyone gathering enough form to stop us going up automatic, everyone is all over the place. 

I agree, as long as we bounce back on Saturday, then our confidence will return. Our confidence and quality should be enough to see us over the line for promotion.

And while, undoubtedly I’d love to see Sarce back, I think we can also do it without him. I think if you gave Lee those 2 chances again, 99/100 he’s knocking those into the back of the net.

As at @Mounts Kipper mentioned yesterday, I heard everything I wanted to hear from our manager and coach/keeper.

The tone of IE and MG interviews after today’s defeat were very balanced, calm & rational, no panic, exactly what we need going into the final 7 games.

Its reactions like that, not hysterical over-reactions, that will compose these players, get them refocused and back on track to promotion. 

1 hour ago, Traf said:

We've lost 2 in 16, it's the proverbial dust down and go again moment.

Defeat might be that last kick up the arse they need. We are going up.

UTFW

Before the weekend we were one of 6 team chasing 3 spots. I think we are one of 4 teams chasing 1 spot. Cheltenham and Cambridge have consolidated their spots and we have fallen back into pack.