Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are we going up?

globaldiver

10 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I would guess our chances of automatic promotion are now probably 50/50.

1/4 with the bookies. They still think we will. Having said that they probably didnt watch the 2nd half on Saturday!

I didn’t have us down for winning at Salford & morecambe so it’s still on and don’t we have the best away record in the league?

Hard from IE point of view as he will throw caution early on but say morecambe race few goals up early doors it’s all or nothing 

We were shit at Grimsby, crawled over the line against Carlisle and struggled to beat 10 men at Morecambe - then that crap on Saturday. It’s not going to be easy but we can do this. You never know Bradford might even turn up. I am still fuming over that second half Saturday; they know what they need to do so bloody do it

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

We were shit at Grimsby, crawled over the line against Carlisle and struggled to beat 10 men at Morecambe - then that crap on Saturday. It’s not going to be easy but we can do this. You never know Bradford might even turn up. I am still fuming over that second half Saturday; they know what they need to do so bloody do it

I'll plait piss if Bradford get anything at Morecambe. They'll be 3 down by half time

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Tend to agree with you. Just don’t think we are good enough to win

The more I think about it, I don't think anyone in our league is good enough to survive in L1. Not convinced another year in L2 would be a bad thing

22 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

The more I think about it, I don't think anyone in our league is good enough to survive in L1. Not convinced another year in L2 would be a bad thing

plenty of new grounds........

31 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not convinced theres that much difference between Lg1 & Lg2, apart  from some better finishing & on the field organisation.

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

That depends upon how well teams supplement their squads.

We've got one or two youngsters who may come through, and a couple of loans who should be fine.

Still need to bring in some more.

If we go up then I’d think we’ll be somewhere between 7-10th in the betting for L1 promotion next season. We’ll only keep about 5-10 of the current squad and will have a bigger budget than half of the league to replace with L1 players - add Evatt into the mix, who will be seen as an even bigger asset if he’s added another promotion to his CV, and the fact that there are only probably 3 or 4 clubs that are as big or bigger draw to new players, and I can’t see that we won’t be straight into at least mid table.

Let’s get there first though!

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Not convinced theres that much difference between Lg1 & Lg2, apart  from some better finishing & on the field organisation.

I've been surprised how much football is played in Div2. Not as much hoofball as I expected. As said previously the main difference between Div2 and Div 1, is probably the standard of finishing.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

the main difference between Div2 and Div 1, is probably the standard of finishing.

We should be fine then 😂.

How we survive in division one should well and truly be left till 5pm on Saturday at the absolute earliest.

I’ve got a bit of a different perspective on why we haven’t finished sides off more convincingly, why we haven’t scored more goals, on why players haven’t performed more consistently and what this team looks like if we play our best.

These players are all still division 2 players. From an attacking perspective they are inconsistent, lacking quality in certain key moments, they occasionally get their decision making wrong and execute poorly at times, which has made for frustrating viewing at times. 

I think us beating sides 1-0 is what this team looks like at its best. It’s been a bit of a fallacy that they should be anything better. We trot out the Cambridge game as our best performance and what we should be like every week, but even that only finished 2-1! 

If we continue to be resilient, defensively solid, execute our tactics and formation to protect the back 4 but also use our attack minded players to recycle the ball well, waring  Crawley down with our possession based football and use our skill and pace to create chances then that could/should be enough. 

This team and the way we’ve gone about our business in the 2nd part of the season has been fantastic. You cannot question their character, their fitness, their attitude. The parts of our game that have been consistent have been enough to get us into this position. 

And I see little reason why this can’t be repeated again on Saturday.

The whites are going up. 

54 minutes ago, desperado said:

We should be fine then 😂.

How we survive in division one should well and truly be left till 5pm on Saturday at the absolute earliest.

I’ve got a bit of a different perspective on why we haven’t finished sides off more convincingly, why we haven’t scored more goals, on why players haven’t performed more consistently and what this team looks like if we play our best.

These players are all still division 2 players. From an attacking perspective they are inconsistent, lacking quality in certain key moments, they occasionally get their decision making wrong and execute poorly at times, which has made for frustrating viewing at times. 

I think us beating sides 1-0 is what this team looks like at its best. It’s been a bit of a fallacy that they should be anything better. We trot out the Cambridge game as our best performance and what we should be like every week, but even that only finished 2-1! 

If we continue to be resilient, defensively solid, execute our tactics and formation to protect the back 4 but also use our attack minded players to recycle the ball well, waring  Crawley down with our possession based football and use our skill and pace to create chances then that could/should be enough. 

This team and the way we’ve gone about our business in the 2nd part of the season has been fantastic. You cannot question their character, their fitness, their attitude. The parts of our game that have been consistent have been enough to get us into this position. 

And I see little reason why this can’t be repeated again on Saturday.

The whites are going up. 

Whilst i agree to a certain extent we have division 2 players, 4 of the team on Saturday have played in the premiership, and every other have played at an higher level, or played for someone at an higher level. We are now lining up to play a team who are division 2/ conference players! Shouldnt we be expecting more with regards to their experience? I still expect us to win on Saturday, and thats what we should expect. Experience should play its part, but, we have to be up for the battle, and if we dont we will fall short! Just hope thats not the case.