Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Scunthorpe.

leigh white

41 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Is it a must win?

I would say a must not lose; agree with CaptainMed we need 4 points from these two home games. Should achieve at least that unless we have a Port Vale performance.

The big challenge will be Oldham and Bradford away and if we can get 4 from these then we are going up

Why are we "bigging up" Scunthorpe FFS

OK - won 4 on the bounce - 3 home games against Port Vale LLWLD, Grimsby LDLLL and Harrogate WWLWL, with away success at Colchester DLDDL - OK Harrogate are on a reasonable run - but the other 3 have one win in fifteen games between them

Edited by bwfc2003
won not would

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Is it a must win?

No game at this stage is must win, but it is in the category 'if we do not win we are making life very hard'. I think we take games in twos at the moment and we need 3 or 4 points from each group. Obviously 6 would be great. 

31 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Why are we "bigging up" Scunthorpe FFS

OK - won 4 on the bounce - 3 home games against Port Vale LLWLD, Grimsby LDLLL and Harrogate WWLWL, with away success at Colchester DLDDL - OK Harrogate are on a reasonable run - but the other 3 have one win in fifteen games between them

Exactly 2003, their recent run is of no relevance and if we can’t win games like this and Barrow on Saturday, then we have no realistic chance of getting into the promotion mix. There isn’t a team in this league that we shouldn’t believe we can beat, home or away so dropping points in games like this is unacceptable. We need to go out with a winning attitude, believe we can win and take no prisoners. Playing for draws is negative and we had enough of that under Parkinson, we don’t want it now with IE. We can beat everybody so let’s just go and do it.

If everyone's fit, Sarcevic in for Delfonso. (i'd be tempted to give Doyle's legs a rest & bring in Miller, but IE won't )

Get an early goal  while we're on top  & we're going to paste somebody, if not, bring on our fresh forwards after 60 mins & we're going to paste somebody, if not, grind out another win with an er unusual goal.  

One way or another, i'm quietly confident.

We are playing with more confidence but we have been fortunate in the last two games. We have deserved the luck but we need to create more chances at home. We've beaten Scunthorpe already. These are nothing special. George Taft is their best defender FFS.

Get at them and defend properly and it's another 3 points. 

4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Scunthorpe will be highly motivated, Taft and Karacan will make sure of that, our extra firepower might just win the day, 2-1 with Doyle bouncing back to form with a brace. 

Do you really think karacan could motivate a team ??

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Piemon said:

We needed a change of luck which we have certainly had in the past couple of games.  Now we need to up the performances especially at home. This wont be an easy game.

2 - 1 

To be fair, I think our good luck in the last 2 games has only cancelled out the bad luck we had earlier in the season. Time to move on and actually rely on a performance.

On Saturday night I watched the EFL highlights for the first time this season, and there were a lot of surprisingly good goals. We really need to start performing properly if we're going to carry on this run.

51 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Who have we beaten?, Stevenage, Southend, Mansfield and Orient, hardly the Leagues best teams.

But being positive, Mansfield were top or thereabouts of form table, Stevenage and Orient top half and Southend had picked up.  Definitely not the car crash form of Grimsby and Colchester, and to a lesser extend Vale.

Anyway I don't care who we play we on Saturday and how 4 points from 2 is good.  We've got Scunthorpe at home, how would we not be going for 3 points..  If we do get into the play offs we'll be playing a better team and we'd be expecting more than to draw the home leg.