Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Scunthorpe.

leigh white

• Members
11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good point about the better players behind him. He’s clearly not at his best when he’s having to play in central midfield and be disciplined and cover for wing backs etc. but he’s had to do that for the team’s benefit earlier in the season.

With the confidence of a solid defence and midfield base behind him he can have more freedom to support Doyle and do what he does best by getting into the box - which was very clear when he came on last night. I don’t think we’ve seen him anywhere near his best yet which can only be a good thing if he’s still got that to come in the run in. I’d have him starting at the weekend and give either Dapo/Fonz or both a rest.

One player who hasn’t been given much of mention and I think has improved a lot over the last few games is Isgrove. He seems to be another that has grown in confidence and is benefitting from being in a better team. He’s got a top work ethic and never stops running and has started to add a decent end product as well.

Jones has also looked very solid - I’m not sure Brockbank walks back in at right back at the moment. In fact I’d say he doesn’t, I wouldn’t be changing such a solid back 4.

if MJ , tutte, Thomason & Lee do the graft, it’ll leave Sarc to flourish, but saying that Thomason passing was superb last night. 

I’ve seen you and others say it mate that these players needed time, Jones and Isgrove are examples of that, Isgrove reminds me of Owen Hargreaves, looks comfortable in every position and works his bollocks off.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Home games are free on ifollow to season ticket holders

10 hours ago, Ros Coe said:

What’s the weather been like on Mars 😁

He's currently locked in his shed as a strange 6 wheeled vehicle has just trundled past. 

Anyway, it's far cheaper to pay a tenner for every home game, rather than a season ticket, so maybe that's a spendthrift's route.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

He looked great when he came on, didn’t put a foot wrong, looked hungry and with better players behind him he had a bit more freedom. 
He’ll be crucial.

The big thing for me with Sarce is that he gives the team better balance. Given fortunes seem to have turned whilst he was out that might seem daft, but.....take the back fours as given, you then have 2 midfield players and 4 attackers, 2 wide, one out and out goal scorer and 1 other. Sarce is perfect as the other, he can help the midfield better than other options in this role as well as support the forwards. This is no disrespect to the others who have played the role Sarce just better suited to it  

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He's currently locked in his shed as a strange 6 wheeled vehicle has just trundled past. 

Anyway, it's far cheaper to pay a tenner for every home game, rather than a season ticket, so maybe that's a spendthrift's route.

It's even cheaper if you just don't bother with either.

5 hours ago, Zico said:

In seasons to come, league two fans will be asking "where were Bolton this time last season"

Wouldnt that be great to be this season's 'Reading' or whatever.

If we go up it will surely be the first team to do so from being 4th bottom on 1st Feb (or whatever it was).

Admittedly dates not typical this season, but it would be a great stat. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Delighted as I was, & deserved as our performance made it, I'd have been mightily pissed off if that penalty had been given against us.

Yeah me too, as soft as any given against us this season.

I know someone on here seemed to think we'd created a lot in the first half, and we did play well no doubt about it.

But its another home game where we aren't getting shots or headers in, we aren't working the keeper.

Given how many attacking players we've got its a bit of a mystery, but it probably doesnt matter in League 2.

I've never known us play in a division like this where keepers only seem to be there to kick the ball and collect crosses, game after game very few saves at either end, shooting is awful.  

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yeah me too, as soft as any given against us this season.

I know someone on here seemed to think we'd created a lot in the first half, and we did play well no doubt about it.

But its another home game where we aren't getting shots or headers in, we aren't working the keeper.

Given how many attacking players we've got its a bit of a mystery, but it probably doesnt matter in League 2.

I've never known us play in a division like this where keepers only seem to be there to kick the ball and collect crosses, game after game very few saves at either end, shooting is awful.  

I thought that about the penalty, I'd have been incandescent with rage if that had been at the other end. We did create stuff in the first half but we were so often one touch away from what I would call a chance.

It's not going to be pretty stuff in this league, everybody is too busy just trying to get out of it. Pitches are shite, officials are shite, and this season the atmosphere is shite. Plus, you can only play what's in front of you. If they can't,  or won't come out to play football there's not a lot you can do.

Next season, in L1 it will probably be more of the same, but we've got to start somewhere.

7 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Sarce will start on saturday without any shadow of a doubt. He's ready for it and we are ready for him. Probably instead of Fonz

Agree with this, Fonz just isn’t putting enough in, he takes too long & loses the ball far too easily.. put Afolayan back on the wing.