Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Owdum away

Burndens Bogs

Whenever anyone mentions Oldham away in the 1970s I immediately think of a double decker bus service that ran from Bolton Moor Lane bus station to Stockport , think it was called something like the Trans Lancs Express and it went via Bury Rochdale and Oldham

Matchdays were crazy - 2p (?) was the concessionary fare at the time to travel anywhere in Greater Manchester if you were under 16 or could convince the Bus driver you were - only time i ever went to an away games via a bus service

Can remember one year because everyone on it was going to the match the bus driver did not bother with the bus route and took us straight to Boundary park arriving about 4 hours before kick off - so early that there were no police there , and we were left to roam the town 

55 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Whenever anyone mentions Oldham away in the 1970s I immediately think of a double decker bus service that ran from Bolton Moor Lane bus station to Stockport , think it was called something like the Trans Lancs Express and it went via Bury Rochdale and Oldham

Matchdays were crazy - 2p (?) was the concessionary fare at the time to travel anywhere in Greater Manchester if you were under 16 or could convince the Bus driver you were - only time i ever went to an away games via a bus service

Can remember one year because everyone on it was going to the match the bus driver did not bother with the bus route and took us straight to Boundary park arriving about 4 hours before kick off - so early that there were no police there , and we were left to roam the town 

Great stuff, effectively away travel laid on for 4p return!!  I remember paying 2p to get the 582 from Atherton to Leigh a few times, before I had discovered Burnden.  By the time I was going to the match in late 70s the fares had gone up - not to 3p but an outrageous 100% increase to 4p in one go.

4 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

The first game in L3 me and my mate went on a SELNEC double decker football special. Only cost a few pence ...  5p ...  maybe 2p rings a bell  , we were schoolboys ....  No need to book just pile into moor lane. 

Stood on the open end , loads of wanderers fans all over ..no segregation.. rows upon rows of double decker buses to choose from for journey home . Happy days 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

The 400.

Went all over. Sometimes terminated at Ashton-under-Lyne otherwise onto Stockport.

My Gran and her chap, lived in A-u-L, and he worked on the buses. At one time is was rammed with crusties coming to Bolton Market (especially the fish section).

Later on, they were both in a residential home in Bolton: his mind had gone then and one night he disappeared. We were all out looking for him, with a number of coppers.

I suggested he might have jumped on a bus, and sure enough, the driver had realised something was a bit off and called the police. We collected him from Oldham nick, where he was regaling tales over a brew with a couple of officers.

49 minutes ago, Matt said:

My Oldham mate reckons they are gash at home. See 2 tough games coming up.

He's not wrong. They've beaten Cheltenham, Bradford, Newport and Salford and lost nearly all the others.  Wierdly all 4 wins are against top half teams but still terrible home form, great away form.

Another Owdum related story. We were supposed to play them but when we got there it was called off due to fog. Blackpool were playing Blackburn that day and both were near the top with us so we decided to go. We went in the terrace with the cop to our right and Blackpool end to our left. Five minutes before the teams come out it kicked off in the Blackpool end; we thought naturally that Blackburn had gone in. Police finally got things under control and marched about 150 passed us to the cop; I recognised loads they were Bolton. Not knowing the police put them with the Blackburn fans and within a minute it kicked off there. Throughout the game the police had to segregate Bolton and Blackburn on that cop. Anyone off here at that game?

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

20 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Another Owdum related story. We were supposed to play them but when we got there it was called off due to fog. Blackpool were playing Blackburn that day and both were near the top with us so we decided to go. We went in the terrace with the cop to our right and Blackpool end to our left. Five minutes before the teams come out it kicked off in the Blackpool end; we thought naturally that Blackburn had gone in. Police finally got things under control and marched about 150 passed us to the cop; I recognised loads they were Bolton. Not knowing the police put them with the Blackburn fans and within a minute it kicked off there. Throughout the game the police had to segregate Bolton and Blackburn on that cop. Anyone off here at that game?

Yes we were there that day in the Blackpool end - a day of fun and games