Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Owdum away

Burndens Bogs

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

You don’t drop your best striker when he’s in double figures and on a winning run. 

I’m not for dropping him

But he can’t get complacent that he’s a given starter needs to be more clinical

bag a hatrick tonight now😀

41 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Can't fault his effort, but his finishing leaves a little to be desired and the ball isn't sticking enough when it goes up to him - Not that I blame him necessarily for this, but he's just not that type of player. 

This is it for me.

It isn't a coincidence, in my mind, that since we got better players in Jan Doyle's performances have been called into question a little bit more, he looks pedestrian at times.

It is his role as a centre forward to mesh the front 4 together, he is the fulcrum for this formation, and I just don't see him doing it. Take the penalty away he has done very little in the last 4 games, and would suggest his assist rates are poor too, so he must be due a break.

I am unsure if Miller can do this any better, haven't seen enough of him,  so will have to bow to IEs better judgement but he talks about rotation often enough?

• Members
1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I’m not for dropping him

But he can’t get complacent that he’s a given starter needs to be more clinical

bag a hatrick tonight now😀

Put some money on it now you’ve said it mate 

• Site Supporter

Doyle’s hardly had many clear cut chances. The one in the first half on Saturday, yep he could have done better, but it still wasn’t a clear chance.

He’s worked his bollocks off all season with little service and still got into double figures. So it’s great that Miller can offer a decent back up option but I’d still be starting with Doyle and giving him a rest whenever necessary.

2 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Doyle’s hardly had many clear cut chances. The one in the first half on Saturday, yep he could have done better, but it still wasn’t a clear chance.

He’s worked his bollocks off all season with little service and still got into double figures. So it’s great that Miller can offer a decent back up option but I’d still be starting with Doyle and giving him a rest whenever necessary.

Spot on this. Can’t believe the criticism he had on Saturday. He’ll be more annoyed with himself that he didn’t manage to put a chance away. It would be crazy to drop him. 

• Site Supporter

Doyle's due to go on a goal scoring streak - keep him in for now. I'm happy to keep a couple of match winners on the bench too with Arthur & Miller, must break teams hearts when they see them subs coming on when they are already knackered

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, DazBob said:

I'd give Miller a start tonight.  His confidence must be soaring.

Also, Doyle seems to have gone off the boil a little for me of late.  Can't fault his effort, but his finishing leaves a little to be desired and the ball isn't sticking enough when it goes up to him - Not that I blame him necessarily for this, but he's just not that type of player.  He's a striker who sniffs things out in the box, and we're not giving him enough ammunition, hence him having to drop deeper for it.  He's played a lot of minutes so far this season so is due a rest.

3 hours ago, masi 51 said:

not broken....dont need fixing

This is where I’m at too. Leave Miller to come on off the bench once the defence has been run ragged. Risk seeing if he can do the same from the start when other matters dictate it, not just because he’s scored a couple of late, late goals.

47 minutes ago, woolli said:

8 of the top 11 teams at home tonight, so this is one of them must win games that we must win!

and 4 of the teams above us or that can catch us with games in hand play each other tonight  , so at least 2 of Tranmere / Newport & Morecambe / Crawley will drop points 

Would be happy with 4 points from our next two away games - fancy we will win tonight 1-3