Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Owdum away

Burndens Bogs

2 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Thought the whole last half hour was wasteful and sloppy, golden opportunity wasted to improve our GD, which we could do with doing.

Rather have 3 points from Bradford than an extra few goals. 

We would need to score another 6 to make an difference to Tranmere or Newport. Never mind the others.

Santos motm for me but couldn't fault anybody. Oldham came at us first 1o mins but i remember thinking this suits us once we settle down.. and despite what Roy the Yonner was saying we were getting control in midfield before the sending off. Jones and John getting forward Baptiste & Santos solid Half a lion was nuisance and Fonz putting himself about. Sarce & Lee are class and Williams does excellent job. Really enjoyed it second half included. Just needed a third for cherry on top but loving it at moment.

Even our corners were better (John was it?) and led to own goal. Big improvement on Isgrove"s delivery on Saturday 

10 minutes ago, woolli said:

Just have to keep winning! Worryingly there are still five teams below us who can catch us if they win their games in hand!

Equally, we're yet to play all of them and could be that little bit fresher given we have more time to recover (excluding the Bradford game on Sat)

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Thought the whole last half hour was wasteful and sloppy, golden opportunity wasted to improve our GD, which we could do with doing.

If we were chasing a game I could understand the observation. But that 2nd half was about maintaining what we had and more importantly managing the squad with the rest of the season in mind.

Unlike previous games those subs weren’t about bringing game changers on, it was about resting those who went off. Lee and Afolayan were playing as good as anyone out there today and Doyle was much better than Saturday. 

Lots to agree with on here tonight including the shout out for Jones being MOTM.

A very unusual but satisfying feeling strolling to victory.

Declan MOM for me, constantly getting forward.

Dapo best game since he got here. 

Lee and Williams are the 'proper' midfielders we were needing, (no disrespect to Thomason - the fact he is pushing them is a great sign). 

Thought Saucey was good tonight as well. 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ve not yet given up on Maddison, he’s trying to hard he needs an arm around the shoulder and told to just chill and stop trying to hard to impress. 

I've not given up on him either, just don't think his head is fully screwed on in terms of football. I shouldn't judge a book by its cover but from his appearance and social media he seems more interested in living the sweet life and chilling out. Think in his signing interview he said something along the lines of how Saturday matters and the week of training isn't that important. Not sure that is the right attitude for our current club philosophy.

I think you're right though, he's been trying too hard to be the match winner. He could've scored today but instead passed it and didn't quite come off. Needs to improve his decision making. Shown a few glimpses of what he can do but been disappointing overall.

People still hyping him up on social media because he wears odd boots and a headband but seems a bit gimmicky to me. Hope he can come good still but his career is going in the wrong direction atm.

14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ve not yet given up on Maddison, he’s trying to hard he needs an arm around the shoulder and told to just chill and stop trying to hard to impress. 

Yeah me too, obviously a class player there, let's see if Evatt can get a tune out of him.

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Lee played his best game for us tonight, he looks to be up to speed now.

I wouldn’t like to say who MOM was for me, I’ll call it an all round team win

agree i thought Oldham got into the game more after he went off but everyone did well 

18 minutes ago, desperado said:

If we were chasing a game I could understand the observation. But that 2nd half was about maintaining what we had and more importantly managing the squad with the rest of the season in mind.

Unlike previous games those subs weren’t about bringing game changers on, it was about resting those who went off. Lee and Afolayan were playing as good as anyone out there today and Doyle was much better than Saturday. 

Fine with us managing the minutes for those that went off, schedule is relentless and Sat will be tough, but we weren't under any pressure to just maintain and there were easy opportunities to be a bit more ruthless and pick off that third and even fourth goal. All three who went off did play well, for sure, Lee's best game so far, Doyle looked fresh and at it again and Dapo a real thorn in their side

Observations.

Doyle - you look at his goals over the past three years and it's pull backs and crosses on the break to a great extent.  We don't do that.  Lucky to have him and his predatory instinct in the box when we get it in there.  Return is fantastic.

Tackling - twice tonight Jones bottled it and Thomason once.  Get some Beckenbauer Supers and it won't hurt.  Mr Grey might have a couple of spare pairs ....... size 6.

Santos - Man mountain that lad.  Waited all season for him to win a header in the oppo box and it was shite.

Not moaning.  These lads look like they'll run through walls for their teammates so fair play. 

Enjoyed it tonight.

• Site Supporter

It was great to see most of the team surrounding the ref on the red card incident...

except Santos who opted to grip the miscreant. 

I think it’s probably the first time this season they’ve done this.