Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Owdum away

Burndens Bogs

39 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

We had three opportunities in the second half when a simple pass would have been a certain goal; multi coloured Maddison had two

Maddison needs to just settle down a bit and stop trying to score a worldie every time he gets the ball, getting more and more frustrated with himself with each attempt. Good to see that he’s desperate to succeed though, and I’m sure once he gets that first goal then he’ll start to choose better options. 

Any other player attempts the passes Maddison did last night not a word is said, but because it's Maddison he's criticised for it.

That said, I do think he needs to relax a little when he comes on.  He seems to be trying too hard to have an instant impact.

He also doesn't do himself any favours with odd boots and a stupid headband.

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

We had three opportunities in the second half when a simple pass would have been a certain goal; multi coloured Maddison had two

I imagine IE’s comment about folk not making the correct choice in front of goal was directed at Maddison. As you say, twice last night he tried breaking the nets when the correct choice would’ve been to pass it around the defenders blocking his path. Problem is, however, we’ve also had players who go for a pass when a shot would’ve been a better option.

If we had players doing all things right all game though, we’d be on European trips in the Champions League.

• Members
49 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Any other player attempts the passes Maddison did last night not a word is said, but because it's Maddison he's criticised for it.

That said, I do think he needs to relax a little when he comes on.  He seems to be trying too hard to have an instant impact.

He also doesn't do himself any favours with odd boots and a stupid headband.

He’d be out on the left for me. Do the simple things, find feet with the easy ball. 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Maddison needs to just settle down a bit and stop trying to score a worldie every time he gets the ball, getting more and more frustrated with himself with each attempt. Good to see that he’s desperate to succeed though, and I’m sure once he gets that first goal then he’ll start to choose better options. 

I think that’s unfair on Maddison Matt. I just think it’s his positivity and drive not his intention to score a worldie. I love how as soon as he gets the ball he looks to go forward and make something happen. Ok it’s not come off for him yet but I’m sure it will eventually.

We’re not quite there yet imo. Still too much arsing around with it at the back, we choose the wrong option too many times - passing when we should shoot and vice versa. We often have players who turn into trouble and finally, there are still one or two bottled tackles. Once we hit top gear,  we’ll spank someone.

36 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We’re not quite there yet imo. Still too much arsing around with it at the back, we choose the wrong option too many times - passing when we should shoot and vice versa. We often have players who turn into trouble and finally, there are still one or two bottled tackles. Once we hit top gear,  we’ll spank someone.

I agree, but remember where we were only 6 weeks ago.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tshape said:

Maddison looks like sumert a kid would create on FIFA. He'll cut in from the right and wallop one into the top corner on Saturday, it's a matter of time.

😄

• Members
1 hour ago, tshape said:

Maddison looks like sumert a kid would create on FIFA. He'll cut in from the right and wallop one into the top corner on Saturday, it's a matter of time.

If you’re gonna dress like a twat make sure you do the business on the pitch, otherwise you’re just shit with shit dress sense

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think that’s unfair on Maddison Matt. I just think it’s his positivity and drive not his intention to score a worldie. I love how as soon as he gets the ball he looks to go forward and make something happen. Ok it’s not come off for him yet but I’m sure it will eventually.

Wasn’t a criticism as such, just he’s playing with his head down a little bit and trying to rush everything. When it comes together I’ve no doubt at all he’ll be head and shoulders above most in this league. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Rudy said:

If you’re gonna dress like a twat make sure you do the business on the pitch, otherwise you’re just shit with shit dress sense

poor mans Ollie McBurnie

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Wasn’t a criticism as such, just he’s playing with his head down a little bit and trying to rush everything. When it comes together I’ve no doubt at all he’ll be head and shoulders above most in this league. 

Agree Matt, I think he’s trying a bit too hard. Nothing wrong with that but as you say, once he gets his head up and relaxes a bit, I think we’ll see the real Mad man and I for one can’t wait.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Ani said:

First 10 minutes they were the better team ! We were getting on top before the red card.

Second half we lacked a good ball into the box, once the subs started the game became disjointed. 

The opposition usually are in the first 10 minutes. Then we got amongst them, played higher up the field and didn't give them a minute. You could say the red was a result of our pushing forward instead of Santos Baptiste Gilks Baptiste Gilks. Fonz was only going one way when he got clattered.

We did make mistakes, missed chances and the result could have been much better for us. In previous matches we weren't even making chances.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

I'd like to see Maddison on the left rather than the right and Dapo should play on the right.

I’m not saying I disagree, as I too like to see wingers skinning their full backs and getting to the bye line.

But the case for the inverted wide men has its merits too. Cutting in creates goal scoring opportunities, it involves them more in the possession based play and it allows more overlapping of natural right/left sided fullbacks all of which we’ve seen to good effect these last 5/6 games.

Maybe some more regular switching is the answer so you get to see the best of both systems.