Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barrow H

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed on Jones, I thought he played well and looked like a bone fide right back, supporting the attack and defending well.  Yes there were times we'd like him to play it forward a bit quicker, same with most players today.  

Yes. The bwfc poll has him as one of 4 for MOTM. I can’t recall him doing anything wrong today. And I’m certainly not going to accept “he passed sideways and backwards” as a reason. When you are playing against 11 men behind the ball you have to do this. 

His energy to support the forward play and his commitment to defend and help keep a clean sheet was excellent today.

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

We never deserved to win that today. Barrow fully deserved a draw. But we did win it. That's all that matters.

Yes that’s all that matters.

10 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Well give me the Bruce Rioch days . We have the attacking players to do it as well 

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Have a look at our incredible run under Rioch to win promotion for L1. Our run was win 14, draw 3 and lose 1 in last 18 games.

Remove the rose tinted, we scrapped like hell to win the majority of them. Didn’t really blow anyone away

BD has called this one absolutely correct. However the wins come, that will do. That’s what happens in 92/93. And Bruce would have said exactly the same thing 👏🏽

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

At least the maths is improving on here, which twonk said they wanted 8 points from 9 a few weeks ago? 

It’s been a regular joke on here wanting an impossible number of points. A bit like saying we need two points on Tuesday night.

1-0 = 3 pts = 7th place (play off) = happy weekend again 

Further pluses ... another win, late win based on battling until the end, astute subs (always a gamble but they are working at the moment), solid defence including 90th minute challenges and what appears to be an “all in” squad. Could be, and has been, a lot worse!!

COYW

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure it's a commentator's place to declare a goal offside before the goal goes in unless it's very obvious. By all means suggest it looked offside after the event, but not as it happens.

I don't know if it was him or someone else but Tower FM used to have a co-commentator who would shout "goal" every time we had a chance at goal. Just describe what's happening first.

I couldn't give a fuck to be honest. As long as we're debating what the commentator said after we've won, I'm happy.

17 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Have a look at our incredible run under Rioch to win promotion for L1. Our run was win 14, draw 3 and lose 1 in last 18 games.

Remove the rose tinted, we scrapped like hell to win the majority of them. Didn’t really blow anyone away

The strikers alone scored 42 goals between them that season !! . never mind the chances they missed .

Bruce would of never recycled the ball as much as this a little bit more attacking intent instead of going backwards sometimes would make a difference and may be win a bit more comfortably .
The  players we have brought in have made a massive difference well done evatt 👏 

Evatt said match referee Alan Young had reached the right decision.

“I spoke to their player afterwards and he said he’d expected the contact and that our lad has pulled out. He said he’d told the referee that it wasn’t a penalty,” he said.

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

Evatt said match referee Alan Young had reached the right decision.

“I spoke to their player afterwards and he said he’d expected the contact and that our lad has pulled out. He said he’d told the referee that it wasn’t a penalty,” he said.

Without rose tinted specs , I thought the referee managed the game superbly.

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I couldn't give a fuck to be honest. As long as we're debating what the commentator said after we've won, I'm happy.

I could. Me and my mate both jumped up going mental. And I heard him say 'its offside - it's offside' in a miserable as fuck voice. So I told my mate to stop celebrating and told him the linesman must have flagged. So we watched Miller celebrating thinking any minute now they're going to realise it's going to get chalked off. The silly twat!

Plus he does that annoying breathing out thing at the end of every sentence. He should be executed as far as I'm concerned.

Another +1 for not celebrating the goal properly as I was waiting for the offside to be given.

Not great commentary in that moment but it’s not helped by the cameras. They really need to pan out, they’re so focussed in that you can’t even see options available on 10 yard passes, never mind flags for offside.

Anyway, I couldn’t care less right now, get in COYWM!! 

• Members
4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Without rose tinted specs , I thought the referee managed the game superbly.

Best ref we’ve had all season.

We have to expect teams to set up like Barrow did today, 10 men behind the ball, leave two up when defending corners and try and blag  a goal, I thought Barrow played brilliantly today, they must have thought they got a point and switched off. Fair play to our lads for keeping going, fuckin superb mentality and you cannot teach that. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I could. Me and my mate both jumped up going mental. And I heard him say 'its offside - it's offside' in a miserable as fuck voice. So I told my mate to stop celebrating and told him the linesman must have flagged. So we watched Miller celebrating thinking any minute now they're going to realise it's going to get chalked off. The silly twat!

Plus he does that annoying breathing out thing at the end of every sentence. He should be executed as far as I'm concerned.

Long may it continue that we're discussing commentators after we've won.

Just now, Rudy said:

Best ref we’ve had all season.

We have to expect teams to set up like Barrow did today, 10 men behind the ball, leave two up when defending corners and try and blag  a goal, I thought Barrow played brilliantly today, they must have thought they got a point and switched off. Fair play to our lads for keeping going, fuckin superb mentality and you cannot teach that. 

Our main problem today was quality ( or lack of ) of our  play around their  18 yard box . Far too many poor crosses and bad decision making , but the play up to that area was really good against a really solid defence , just lack of quality around their box is what made it harder than it was . But another 3 points and these really are the type of results that end up with promotion.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

The strikers alone scored 42 goals between them that season !! . never mind the chances they missed .

Bruce would of never recycled the ball as much as this a little bit more attacking intent instead of going backwards sometimes would make a difference and may be win a bit more comfortably .
The  players we have brought in have made a massive difference well done evatt 👏 

I hear you and agree. We are still too slow at moving the ball. I can understand that, takes time to bed the new players in and get them up to speed.

They should be there now. Marry that with confidence of winning games, I’d like to see us really step up the performances a notch now.

Tranmere have had 2 great wins this week but others will slip. Cambridge, Morecambe and Cheltenham are really not very good. Mid table teams from what I’ve seen. Just got to keep chipping away

I remember saying that this was a defensive master-class. Feel for Barrow but when it ain't happening for you this is what happens. Similarly when you are on a run... 

Regarding the commentary, I don't mind the "experts" but it is getting like BWFC Family Favourites with all the birthdays and anniversaries... maybe we should get Ed Stewpot in?

36 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure it's a commentator's place to declare a goal offside before the goal goes in unless it's very obvious. By all means suggest it looked offside after the event, but not as it happens.

I don't know if it was him or someone else but Tower FM used to have a co-commentator who would shout "goal" every time we had a chance at goal. Just describe what's happening first.

It was offside.

The linesman didn't have the bottle to raise his flag with that celebration going on, just wanted to get off and have a brew

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

They didn't notice or mention the foul throw on the far side. He'd also done one in the first half and got away with it.

To be honest, we manage to get away with foul throws just about every throw we get under the cameras. Half a football boot over the line.

27 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

How can some people on here get so upset with the commentators with a lot of vile comment about them ?  Because he shouted offside ! Just turn the sound down ,chill be happy with 3 points c o y w 

Good evening Mr Henshaw.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Winning obviously helps, but he's the second player this week to say the dressing room is one of the best he's been involved with

Gotta help confidence when they know they are one of, if not the best squad in the league. 

Just now, Dimron said:

It was offside.

The linesman didn't have the bottle to raise his flag with that celebration going on, just wanted to get off and have a brew

It wasn't. Miller wasn't in front of Gnahoua as the ball hit him.

But that's beside the point, which was that it isn't the commentators place to call it as it happens (unless the flag is up).

But anyway, we move on.

Good to win in the end, but that was hard to watch. Passing was laboured, too many players with a poor touch and don't get me started on the crossing. 

Got lucky at the end, may have been a penalty for Barrow and my first thoughts on the goal was that it was offside. However, it was an emphatic finish. 

I am OK with the commentary and the analysis.