Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barrow H

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Traf said:

That's why I felt Thomason should have come on for the last half hour. We moved the ball far too slowly at times. If Jones is getting in across to John, then both Santos & Baptiste don't have to touch it every time too.

Agree. Kieran Lee and Williams are ideal away. One or both not needed against a 10 behind the ball team. Tutte and Thomason could have been just as effective late on

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

@Henchontheradio

Apologies Wanderers if I spoiled your celebrations @OfficialBWFC @BoltonFM 
@derekclarksport 
Can only say what we see on the radio.
Have a good night all.

I was definitely stopped in my tracks celebrating because of his “OFFSIDE” shout. But I’m certainly not going to berate him or call him out for his naivety. 

At heart he wants Bolton to do well, but you can tell he’s trying to be balanced and offer some insight. While I may not agree with the everything he says, he’s a bloke who’s played for the wanderers, he wants us to do well and he’s apologised for a genuine mistake. Move on 

That wasn’t one for the purists.

got a bit annoyed with all the crap short corners, not getting crosses in earlier and the slow pace of the game in general.  Lot of play backwards and sideways as well, meaning they were happy to sit back.

King Arthur made a difference for me again, willing to take players on at pace and cross it.

good save by Gilkes, not seen their late penalty shout again, but we seemed slow to clear and didn’t really celebrate the winner as was waiting for offside.

you need ugly wins to go up, gained points on a few, on to the next.

think it will be easier for us away from home.

7 minutes ago, marple whites said:

That wasn’t one for the purists.

got a bit annoyed with all the crap short corners, not getting crosses in earlier and the slow pace of the game in general.  Lot of play backwards and sideways as well, meaning they were happy to sit back.

King Arthur made a difference for me again, willing to take players on at pace and cross it.

good save by Gilkes, not seen their late penalty shout again, but we seemed slow to clear and didn’t really celebrate the winner as was waiting for offside.

you need ugly wins to go up, gained points on a few, on to the next.

think it will be easier for us away from home.

No change there.  Is there a more consistent player?  If there was a number of "below par" performances against each outfield player who's played a good number of games, as a % of games played, he would be top with Thomasson, Santos and Tutte.   He's started 4 league games, less than Comley and the same as Gordon and White.

First half yesterday was good, second half was frustrating as we seemed to run out of ideas and kept trying the same thing. I was furious when Santos won the ball and played it back to Baptiste just before we scored though, shows what I know! 😀

Our fitness and ability to move the ball about though does tire the opposition and keeps us dangerous at the end. Just looking at the stats across the season, we top the charts in passes per game, pass accuracy, we are high in possession and we are top half in goals and chances created. However the big issue, for me, is that we are 20th in goals scored from set play and I think this is really telling against teams who set up like Barrow yesterday.  Carrying more threat from set pieces, it doesn't really matter what the opposition are doing in open play. I think we had 10+ corners yesterday and numerous free kicks in dangerous areas, but we never caused them a serious problem from any of them. I think we have the players to do more, and this for me is a training issue and an area IE should be more focused on. 

In games like yesterday it only takes one goal, hopefully early on, to completely change the game. We score  they have to open up more and that's where we should be able to do a lot more damage with the passing game.

• Members
10 hours ago, desperado said:

I was definitely stopped in my tracks celebrating because of his “OFFSIDE” shout. But I’m certainly not going to berate him or call him out for his naivety. 

At heart he wants Bolton to do well, but you can tell he’s trying to be balanced and offer some insight. While I may not agree with the everything he says, he’s a bloke who’s played for the wanderers, he wants us to do well and he’s apologised for a genuine mistake. Move on 

Why was he not watching the lino though? Caught up a bit in it. Hard not to really 

3 hours ago, Rizlar said:

... this passing it around just allows the opposition to get back in shape.

Which was the issue back in the bad old days. Fortunately we have better options but he needs to use them. We now have, for the level, power, speed & skill. We need to be forcing issues ... at least till we're ahead.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

14 hours ago, Traf said:

I thought Sarce looked better in that no.10 role than when previously asked to be the box to box guy. Unlucky not to grab a goal.

Arthur hasn't impressed when starting, so that's tough.

Same has been said of Sarcevic and Fonz.  Gets judged very quickly, he's only started 4 games - Barrow away (cracking cross for Doyle's header), Bradford home (wasn't subbed off and we won so must have played OK), Orient A - can't pick him out as the under performer that day - Morecambe H - 1 up and in total control until he was replaced by MM.

I'm not saying he should start every game or that he's faultless, I just feel he's not treated the same as others.  Coming on as sub and making something happen seems to count against his chances of starting.

22 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

FFS lads we’ve just won our 5th game with a 93 minute winner and fans moaning about the commentary, just switch it off if you don’t like it. 

Reading through some of the comments on here has just reminded me why I can’t be arsed posting on here anymore. Full of fkin idiots