Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bratfud Away

Steejay

First time there, Sunday midday kick off on sky and it pissed it down

Found a pub open early but was opposite a big police station, rather than through the main door a guy came out and took us through the kitchens etc to get to the bar

In there, it looked like people were well into their pints so god knows what time they turned up

Think it was 2-2 and Lee Mills scored for them

5 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I think Mr Evatt left Barrow to fulfil a personal ambition and to take up an opportunity -  nothing to do with wages paid to respective players at each club 

Just on the salary cap though ,  in league 2 its £1.5 million a year to cover all payments to players and agents

That means that if you had 3 clubs A B & C and each had a squad of 25 and A paid on average £45k per player per year , B paid £50k per annum per player and C paid £55k per player per year you would have differences in wage bills of A paying £1,125k per annum B paying £1250k and C paying £1375k then add on Employers NICS, you are talking of small differences and relatively fine margins in the great scheme of things - and certainly not enough to "Buy" a League 

And If Bolton are as a club paying well over the odds in wages to one or two so be it - but that means others in the squad are earning well below the average to enable them to operate inside the limit. 

All other league 2 clubs have the opportunity to do likewise 

Ultimately its down to the Individual club owners and Managers to make it work for them - they all know the parameters in which they could pay wages whilst the wage cap was operating 

Now compare that with the premier League and look at the successful clubs - such as your Manchester City and Liverpool -they are paying out 6 -7 times more per annum on wages than the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United - thats where money talks  and where it can buy success

Thought salary caps were scrapped?

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Thought salary caps were scrapped?

They have - as of about two weeks ago - not sure what they have been replaced with as yet ? just trying to make the point at this level its impossible to "buy" your way out of this league as was being suggested with them in place

Edited by Benny The Ball

23 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

They have - as of about two weeks ago - not sure what they have been replaced with as yet ? just trying to make the point at this level its impossible to "buy" your way out of this league as was being suggested with them in place

Gotcha

I don't think they are replacng it

4 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

was in that stand down the side when we lost 2-1 back in 93, loads of bolton in the main stand too 

I was in the Bolton end... I managed to sneak a 6 month old terrier in under my coat to keep me warm

3 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

First time there, Sunday midday kick off on sky and it pissed it down

Found a pub open early but was opposite a big police station, rather than through the main door a guy came out and took us through the kitchens etc to get to the bar

In there, it looked like people were well into their pints so god knows what time they turned up

Think it was 2-2 and Lee Mills scored for them

Remember watching this live on Sky on a family holiday in Turkey. First time watching back since and we scored two great goals here. Some good football too.
Plus some shocking defending from Gudni, which you wouldn’t find when he was late thirties.

10 hours ago, Morizio said:

Bradford City 2 Bolton Wanderers 4, September 1996
Nixon is a wanker.

We could have scored 10 that day.

A season before my time but I watched the 100 goals VHS from that season a lot. You can see Bolton everywhere around the ground when we score in that 4-2. 
Similarly at Maine Road when we clinched the league that season. 

• Site Supporter
On 03/03/2021 at 13:08, Bradford lad said:

Thought I'd come and and say hi, your almost too confident of beating us. We actually have two games in hand over you. Very similar recent form. Considering upto 14 games ago we played shit then suddenly got rid of McCall and now we are as good as anyone.

Always loved my trips to your old ground, never a dull moment on or off the pitch, we always bring a good following regardless to your place as you know. 

i am not taking you seriously until you admit wayne jacobs was not MoM

1 hour ago, fester58 said:

man of the match wayne jacobs. followed by 10 minutes of laughing and taking the piss

The Wayne Jacob's game was the cup match when we were in the Prem for the first time wasnt it? Sasa ran rings round them for 90 minutes, we won 3 (or 4?) nil and the announcer named one of their defenders as MotM.

2 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Remember watching this live on Sky on a family holiday in Turkey. First time watching back since and we scored two great goals here. Some good football too.
Plus some shocking defending from Gudni, which you wouldn’t find when he was late thirties.

Bet neither of them were expecting to play in the same side a couple of years later when we had Rankin on loan for a couple of months in 2000/01. 

Gunnlaugsson was unplayable for a spell early in that season. I distinctly remember us being 3-0 up at half-time at home to Huddersfield - who were top of the league at the time - and he was unreal. There was a Huddersfield fan in my class at school so took great pleasure in that one. They battered us second half and still couldn’t score. 

59 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The Wayne Jacob's game was the cup match when we were in the Prem for the first time wasnt it? Sasa ran rings round them for 90 minutes, we won 3 (or 4?) nil and the announcer named one of their defenders as MotM.

Wayne Jacobs!

1 hour ago, victor meldrew said:

late 70's for me , beat them 2-1 in league cup, can't be arsed looking up what year it was.

Think that was 76/77 from memory 

Was at that game - my first trip to Valley parade - along with what - maybe 800-1200 Bolton fans in a shed down one side of the pitch  - a Bradford player called Cecil Podd sticks in my mind to this day - the abuse he got that night - and presumably at most games he played in was incredible. 

Remember him taking a throw in directly in front of us

We rarely saw "players of colour" in those days - but with the passage of time , you want on the one hand to apologise for the abuse and on the other to salute them for putting up with it .  

I know it was different times and all that but worst racial abuse I have ever seen 

Edited by Benny The Ball

51 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

This was a cracker 

The lad sent off last for them Mark Stewart (I think) used to go in a pub I drank in in Bingley, played pool with him once about 4 weeks after this and said ' you could have broke the lads leg' , he thought I was Bradford fan and said 'that is what I was trying to do.' I called him a silly cunt and that was that.

Paul Jewel their ex manager and player was a regular round Bingley and a really nice bloke. 

Edited by Ani

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, fester58 said:

man of the match wayne jacobs. followed by 10 minutes of laughing and taking the piss

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

One Wayne Jacobs. There’s only one Wayne Jacobs!

Wife and I took our 15 month old first born to Bradford to see friends, dropped him off and took their teenager to match. He was lauded the next week in school for being in the Bolton crowd.

It was the game where the linesman was so close to the crowd he got dog’s abuse all game.

Oi, liner, we’ll shout, you raise your flag!

Think this could be our big win. Logic says this Bradford team is the most likely in all fixtures to have a go at us and I think this could play in to our hands massively.

Probably the away I’m gutted to miss the most this season. Worked in Bradford for a few years. Good place to sup and the ground is a belter. 

Bradford 2-4 Bolton

Though I’d take any type of win.

I reckon it could be the biggest Ifollow away audience in League 2 of the season so far tomorrow 

If it is I hope it gets publicised as such 

Ipswich got the biggest League 1 away audience to date in midweek at Accrington with 5005 passes sold 

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/march/5000-plus-match-passes-sold-for-accrington-clash/

A big game this, it feels like a win is needed to keep our destiny in our own hands.

We cant fail to get top 3 if we keep winning, but if we lose even top 7 is looking a hard task in the short term if only because it hands the initiative to Bradford, whoever loses needs favours from others.

Just hope its a real game for 95 minutes not spoiled by an early sending off or a dodgy pen/offside goal against us.

Expecting it to be either 1-1 or 1-0 to whoever scores first, not anticipating keepers having much to do but hope I'm wrong (well, their keeper at least).