Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bratfud Away

Steejay

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I always remember it as being the latter. I also remember when my daughter was little she would sing “ Ohhh wakey wakey, wakey wakey wakey wakey Wanderers” She didn’t find out the real lyrics till years later. Anyway back to Bratfurt - can’t see them finishing top6 or  7, they’re shit

My son, who's in his early 20s, used to sing exactly the same, try explaining that song to an 8 year old. 

I'll be honest I hate that song being sung by us, surely nobody above 15 sings it.

• Site Supporter

I’m simply making the point that we should get more than 71 as our season average takes into account 5 months when we were a completely different team. Like I say I’m really not into the season average stuff and apologise if my summary doesn’t make sense.

1 hour ago, bolton va va said:

Gutted, it feels like we lost, made worse by most of the other results going against us.....

but, lots of positives, the best we've played all season & didn't drop off in the 2nd half, just missing that final ball & when it all clicks we're going to paste someone.......we're a class above Bratfud who are supposed to be one of the better teams.......& everybody contributed.

No bad performances, Santos majestic again, as was Baptiste, & Isgrove had his best game for us so far.

A temporary setback.

Over the years Baptiste has been one of my least favourite all time BW players.  In the last month he's becoming one of my favourites of this season at least.  I've seen a different side to him, not only defending brilliantly, but passing well and then having that x factor of marauding forward, like Gudni used to, in that he seems to lose all sense of what position he's supposed to be playing for a minute.  I actually enjoy watching him play, yet upto January he gave me kittens whenever he went near the ball.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Over the years Baptiste has been one of my least favourite all time BW players.  In the last month he's becoming one of my favourites of this season at least.  I've seen a different side to him, not only defending brilliantly, but passing well and then having that x factor of marauding forward, like Gudni used to, in that he seems to lose all sense of what position he's supposed to be playing for a minute.  I actually enjoy watching him play, yet upto January he gave me kittens whenever he went near the ball.

Him and Santos have been superb together this last 6 weeks or so . 

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Darcy's set piece delivery is far better, didn't aim for the first man.

You're entitled to your opinion as you've rightly said, what are you basing that particular opinion on ?

How many set pieces has Darcy taken for us at L2 level or above ?

• Site Supporter

Credit where its due, he's been superb and long may it continue.

I thought a feature today were him and Santos raided forward more than usual. An instruction? Make their midfield come out before they give it to our midfield lads?

Momentum can be a factor in last dozen or so games, as can squad size and quality, we've both of those to call upon. Cheltenham and Morecambe both maintaining consistent progress, as are Exeter, most of the rest throwing an off one in now and then. 

I didn't particularly rate Cambridge last time, if Crellin hadn't chucked one in we'd have beaten them on their own patch even with the half a team we had then. 

Was frustrating today only because it was another nearly-but-not-quite day, great defensive structure and workrate, collective commitment, plenty of possession, stylish play up to final third but, the big but, not clinical enough again with final decision, pass, cross. Corners were awful again too. Isgrove's look like he's a kid on an adults pitch who's struggling to get it further than near post.

Lots of takes on Doyle tonight, for me he's a L1/2 striker for a reason. He's a bit too particular where he wants the ball when it comes in, doesn't gamble enough and is on his heels too often on balls that are fired into that corridor of uncertainty around six yard line, and by his own admission, doesn't like heading it much. He's a flat footed runner without much pace, doesn't stretch defences, his hold up play isn't anything special and he doesn't make it stick enough if anything is put up to him above waist height.

Having said all that, I wouldn't particularly put Miller in before him and we've nobody else in the wings so either he needs to try to adapt (not that likely) or we need to work harder at being more accurate and selective with our crossing, so he gets it where he wants it more often, then it's up to him to convert a big enough percentage.

34 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’m not really into all this average points malarkey. But one question I will ask is, are you basing OUR “current” average on our whole season? Surely then this is warped as we are a completely different team, performing a whole lot better.

Based on what I’ve seen in the last 3 months there isn’t a team who can perform as well, with as much quality and with as much consistency as we are doing. Doesn’t this count for more?

Completely agree, our average will improve, same as Bradford's and Tranmere's probably who also started slow. Carlisle and Newport likely to fall away.  But the average of the top 3 shows no sign of reducing, not saying it wont, but they're going to have to have a drop in form to get less than 78 points.  So that has to be our target surely, otherwise we are just saying we'll only go up if the others get worse.  And there's as much chance of them improving as deteriorating as we can't rely on any of the crap teams in this league to take more points off them than they have already. 

8 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

You're entitled to your opinion as you've rightly said, what are you basing that particular opinion on ?

How many set pieces has Darcy taken for us at L2 level or above ?

Took loads last season, mainly from left side.  I remember many people sat round me in ESL commenting on how his corners were a massive improvement on the dross we'd got used to from the likes of Vela (not having a go at him btw), Darcy hit it with pace and curve normally towards the far post, under or near the bar.  We've not seen anything of the like this season, although I accept set pieces isn't what we are about, if our success is based on that we're going nowhere.   

Carry on playing like that for the rest of the season and we'll be going up as Champions.....

Bollocks to the play-offs, it ain't happening....

Williams & Lee are class in centre mid.....

COYFWM!!!

17 minutes ago, jeep said:

Carry on playing like that for the rest of the season and we'll be going up as Champions.....

Bollocks to the play-offs, it ain't happening....

Williams & Lee are class in centre mid.....

COYFWM!!!

Feel we may run out of games though. I’ve not seen anyone in this league play the football we have done recently. Still gutted we drew

Feel deflated, which considering we were playing a team bang in form shows how far we have come.

thought we played really well, but still don’t create enough  out and out chances.

doyle should have done better with that header. 

good save by gilkes.

Would have taken a draw before the game, but better game management after we scored would have won it.  We have scored a lot of late goals, so probably due one against.

Win another 10 which we can do and we will be there or there abouts.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, superkev said:

Feel we may run out of games though. I’ve not seen anyone in this league play the football we have done recently. Still gutted we drew

How many other teams in this league have you watched?