Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Old school sweets

bolton_blondie

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

The original style midget gems you speak of are in home bargains mate 👍🏼If they have shops of that ilk in well heeled areas such as yours 😁

Proper ones are made by Lyons. The softer squishier ones with black as blackcurrant are made by Maynards.

More top midget gem facts next week, trivia fans.

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

Proper ones are made by Lyons. The softer squishier ones with black as blackcurrant are made by Maynards.

Yep it’s the Lyons ones that are in HB and b and m. 

maynards ones are crap. 

13 minutes ago, Sweep said:

homeless person is the correct nomenclature these days I think you'll find

I'm a traditionalist, I prefer 'of no fixed abode' or 'gentleman of the road'.

I didn't mean it like that though, I meant it like you bring your kit to school in a Handburys carrier bag and you wear Nicks.

😀

5 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Midget gems emerge relatively unscathed in a dump - like sweetcorn.

A very young child might mistake a gem studded log for a confection, so after a quarter of midget gems always flush, folks.

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

The spelling of the company ho makes the real midget gems is far, far more important that the fate of some shortbread scoffing midget with shit hair, so you're welcome.

I’ve got a bag in front of me (virtually empty now as I had forgotten I had them until the thread mentioned them) and didn’t want to get into the dispute or debate about the name so just went with Lyons as per the thread. 😁

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Aye the fruit salads are in as well. Also b and m have them in and that was where I got my last bag from. 

I forgot all About the existence of little gems. Takes me back that does! 

I went past a Little Gem, with 'Little Gem' livery on the side on Highfield Road last week.

Or was it a dream?

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve got a bag in front of me (virtually empty now as I had forgotten I had them until the thread mentioned them) and didn’t want to get into the dispute or debate about the name so just went with Lyons as per the thread. 😁

That's how Nazi Germany started 😉.

They sell Lyon's ground coffee at H.B. too.

The Italian Red 5 Strength is rocket-fuel, it's like a wrap of 'whizz' a cup or four of it.

Only 79p a bag an' all.

17 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Bit slow on the uptake, Mick.  I'd already revealed this thrilling fact.

After six months of sitting around doing fuck all I started running again in February.

Unsurprisingly, being about two-stone overweight, my times were crap - clumping and jiggling around my usual route in time and a half.

However thanks to Lyon's Red Italian 5 Coffee (79p Home Bargains) I floated around 10km in under an hour Saturday.

Lyon's Coffee - The beverage of Champions (and potential Coronary Care Unit Patients).

54 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

One of the kids books.last term had a policeman helping a 'tramp' - was published in the early 80s. I did wonder if any teacher had actually looked at the book since then.

How is calling a tramp a tramp prejudiced?

The book is correct.

If you don't want to be a tramp, move into a house, put away your stick and knotted hanked (bindle) and buy a hat that doesn't have the top half-detached and sticking up - like the lid of an opened tin of beans.

Winter nips, we took the name literally and they only seemed to appear in the playground when it was freezing and too slippy for tenniser kickarounds.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

43 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Your talking about a hobo there.

41 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

That's an Americanism, it's tramp here, always has been, always will be.

Tramps should be thankful they get that quaint term and not the actual truth...😡

Can we call them Vagrants?

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Can we call them Vagrants?

Yes.

I saw a bonny looking female tramp t'other week.

She was a pretty vagrant.

If a vagrant is drunk, however, then they are an inebriate.

I remember when tramps had the good grace not to beg, live on Moor Lane bus station and would drink Strongbow from brown glass bottles.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Chewing nuts are phenomenal.

Great whilst you were sucking the chocolate but fucking hell, your jaw ached like fuck after a while one you got to the chewing bit. 

Jawbreakers.

Red Devils.

Texans.

That Bluebird toffee in foil trays you could actually buy little hammers for.

Highland Toffee and Wham! Bars were also apt to remove fillings and/or stretch into a two foot long strand from hand to gob.

In the case of Whams one never knew if a crunchy bit was the embedded fizzers or a bit of amalgam from your teeth.

Edited by Youri McAnespie