Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Budget

fatty

Well, it's got the Thatcherites is a right old tizz. It's the closest we've had to a centrist budget is a long time. Too many unknowns yet as we step out of this situation, but it certainly appears like a key strategy going forward. You don't abandon a cornerstone of Conservative economic policy without thinking about it first.

So, we'll see. I'm.not sure it'll help struggling families in the long term if UC just cuts off.

• Site Supporter

An article in the independent (I think it is) that's very critical.

Christopher Chope being an absolute wanker in parliament about it earlier.

Made one salient point, which is worth consideration, but previously slammed a large proportion of the public and showed a fairly high level of ignorance over the virus.

Came across as the stereotypical out dated Conservative and a patronising twat.

Labour could do no better than using the clip of him in their next electioneering programme. 

I hope Boris or the chief whip thrash him.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

An article in the independent (I think it is) that's very critical.

Christopher Chope being an absolute wanker in parliament about it earlier.

Made one salient point, which is worth consideration, but previously slammed a large proportion of the public and showed a fairly high level of ignorance over the virus.

Came across as the stereotypical out dated Conservative and a patronising twat.

Labour could do no better than using the clip of him in their next electioneering programme. 

I hope Boris or the chief whip thrash him.

What was his salient point? 

The extent of public debt and other obligations is worrying.

The era of funny money and debasing capital continues.

Something might happen to change it, such as inflation.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

What was his salient point? 

That lower corporation tax encourages investment (as the Republic of Ireland did).

It makes sense in its own right, though I'm sure the chancellor is aware of that, but needs to find a balance between the tax take and industrial investment.

Away from this valid point of discussion, he was cunty.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

The extent of public debt and other obligations is worrying.

The era of funny money and debasing capital continues.

Something might happen to change it, such as inflation.

They had an expert on the box earlier.

Offering an opinion that we don’t necessarily need to pay down the debt, so long as the economy yields enough tax revenues to service it.

He did acknowledge the risk of inflation and interest rate rises, but suggested we shouldn't worry too much too soon.

Not sure I agree, though the fact that every other developed nation has also been walloped by the pandemic, may provide some grace.

Certainly a difficult job for all financial bods throughout governments. 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Offering an opinion that we don’t necessarily need to pay down the debt, so long as the economy yields enough tax revenues to service it.

He did acknowledge the risk of inflation and interest rate rises, but suggested we shouldn't worry too much too soon.

Not sure I agree, though the fact that every other developed nation has also been walloped by the pandemic, may provide some grace.

We need the political will to address it, but we are going the other way.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

We need the political will to address it, but we are going the other way.

At the moment, but I'm sure they will apply the brakes eventually. 

The former chancellor was on the other day basically saying 'stop spending': the difficulty comes when doing so too soon becomes a massive vote looser and the other lot get in, and the situation possibly reverses again.

I quite liked the honesty when he said we'll be paying this lot back for decades and it will be the responsibility of subsequent governments too.

Not an easy job for anyone- vaccinations key to an economic restart.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

At the moment, but I'm sure they will apply the brakes eventually. 

The former chancellor was on the other day basically saying 'stop spending': the difficulty comes when doing so too soon becomes a massive vote looser and the other lot get in, and the situation possibly reverses again.

I quite liked the honesty when he said we'll be paying this lot back for decades and it will be the responsibility of subsequent governments too.

Not an easy job for anyone- vaccinations key to an economic restart.

I don’t have an issue with the emergency spending, it’s the long term, year in year out accumulation of debts and obligations that we don’t seem to want to address.

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Except Labour would spend more on NHS pay rises...

At least they're getting a pay rise

Plenty of us are looking at taking a cut.

Edited by Spider

Nobody seriously begrudges nursing staff getting a greater increase than 1% do they?

Fiscal sensibility is one thing, shafting the very people we were begging to put off/come out of retirement, isolate from their own families etc is another.

I think they've handled this one badly and I'll be expecting another Boris u turn before the months out.

56 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Nobody seriously begrudges nursing staff getting a greater increase than 1% do they?

Fiscal sensibility is one thing, shafting the very people we were begging to put off/come out of retirement, isolate from their own families etc is another.

I think they've handled this one badly and I'll be expecting another Boris u turn before the months out.

I'd not say giving them any sort of pay rise is "shafting" them. We're now entering a few decades where we'll need to be tightening our belts, so the fact they get any pay rise at all is a bonus. I think the Government should probably go a bit further and "reward" them, and say guarantee them a 1% rise each year for the full term of this current Government.

Asking for 12%, they can fuck right off with that

Edited by Sweep

33 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'd not say giving them any sort of pay rise is "shafting" them. We're now entering a few decades where we'll need to be tightening our belts, so the fact they get any pay rise at all is a bonus. I think the Government should probably go a bit further and "reward" them, and say guarantee them a 1% rise each year for the full term of this current parliament.

Asking for 12%, they can fuck right off with that

Aye, any public support they have will soon dissipate if they insist on 12%.

Perhaps a 1% increase across the board and a flat rate payment of 5k for all who nursed throughout the pandemic?

4 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

How about 'blind eye Fridays', where they can fill their tunic pockets with Fentanyl, Gabapentin, Ketamine etc. without repercussions, to sell on in the black market?

Some dustman made about sixty grand flogging those rolls of biodegradable green bags.

Got caught like.

That gave me a proper :lol: moment!

Several years ago I remember a local authority discovering they were paying a street lighting engineer more than their chief exec.  He wasnt doing anything illegal, just taking advantage of generous overtime, shift allowance rates and staff shortages. 

21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Aye, any public support they have will soon dissipate if they insist on 12%.

Perhaps a 1% increase across the board and a flat rate payment of 5k for all who nursed throughout the pandemic?

Paid for by increasing the taxes of those who have a holiday at the tax payers expense? If so I’m all for that 

17 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The fact that lots of countries will be competing to borrow money means that the interest rates for borrowing will increase (supply and demand).