Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Maverick

Blondi

2 hours ago, Kane57 said:

You can't un-knob a knob. 

It'll be worth it even if the total sum of all his contributions whilst here is just one goal or one pass that leads to a goal.

I'm struggling with that logic tbh.  If he's giving the ball away more often that not, either by misplaced passes or over ambitious shots, 1 goal doesn't balance things up.  And I'm far from anti-MM, I'd love him to succeed here, but current evidence is he's got a lot of improving to do to be picked before those currently in front of him.  

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm struggling with that logic tbh.  If he's giving the ball away more often that not, either by misplaced passes or over ambitious shots, 1 goal doesn't balance things up.  And I'm far from anti-MM, I'd love him to succeed here, but current evidence is he's got a lot of improving to do to be picked before those currently in front of him.  

I know I'm not comparing apples wi' apples, but Santos got far more chances to prove his worth.

It paid off handsomely but our expectations of any player are higher now. I'd like MM to come good, but he's got to be playing for that.

47 minutes ago, MickyD said:

You may not be able to but a knob can un-knob himself. If he’s sleeping in until gone 1.30 then it’s a sure-fire guarantee that he’s not going to bed at a reasonable hour. 27 years old single lad living a fairly luxury life having someone cook, tidy, make beds, etc., must be bored shitless. Wasn’t Kev Nolan given the job of chaperoning Andy Carol because he had exactly the same attitude as Maddison?

Maybe our maverick needs someone to make sure he’s not a dick.

Before then Greaves made Reidy Worthington's buddy and had to keep him on the straight and narrow by going to Elvis conventions and the like.

Trouble is the team is all so new there's no long serving BWFC servant to put his arm around him and help him along.

My own observation has been he has vision and plays the right moves but the ball control in the end product is astray... from what I've now read it could be a sign of fatigue affecting concentration.

If you're reading this pal, get yourself sorted because glory days are just around the corner and we love our heroes.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Didn’t Jamie Pollock, having left Boro for Ososuna miss a game because they told him to be up at a certain time, then missed it claiming he didn’t speak Spanish so didn’t know?

Then signed for us 

He got the wrong day 

Sat at home thinking it was his day off, turned on the tv and oasasuna were playing

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Him and Thomason will start in place of Isgrove & Lee tonight. Maverick will win us the game

Only reason Lee should not play is if his legs aren't up to it. Hes different gravy and along with MJ William's, MJ Santos and MJ Afolyan have turned our season around. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Ratwhite said:

Only reason Lee should not play is if his legs aren't up to it. Hes different gravy and along with MJ William's, MJ Santos and MJ Afolyan have turned our season around. 

I agree - just going off Evatt resting him a couple of weeks ago, cotton wool job. For me, you keep your best players on the pitch for as many minutes as you can.

If Lee is getting to the point of needing a rest again then I’d be doing it on Saturday in what should be an easier game against Port Vale. I want to see our best team out tonight which means he starts with Williams.

As for Maddison, each of Dapo, Arthur, Isgrove, Sarce and Fonz are ahead of him in terms of recent performance levels - but you do know that there should be more coming from him and the sooner we can get him there the better for us. I’d give him half an hour tonight and then as long as he doesn’t have a shocker, give him a start against Port Vale.

14 hours ago, Zico said:

He got the wrong day 

Sat at home thinking it was his day off, turned on the tv and oasasuna were playing

I'd like to think they'd told him the wrong day on purpose.  That's one way to find out you're not in the manager's immediate plans.

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, DazBob said:

He can fuck off for me. He's a liability whenever he comes on.

When he scores the last minute goal in the final game of the season which puts us up as Champions, you’ll be eating those words...

hopefully.

I just feel like we can't afford to keep hanging our hats on the hope he'll click at this pivotal point of the season. Its too late to just keep throwing him in & see what happens especially when all the other wingers are more accustomed to the philosophy of keeping the ball & working tirelessly. It's a big risk letting him loose out there when we're at the part of the season where games are running out rapidly & we can't afford to let points slip because a player has a reputation along with a highlight reel. He was great for Peterborough & it was exciting at the time but he looks absolutely shot to pieces turning up here like constantly fighting to simply control the ball & struggling to make a simple pass. I hope he turns it around but it's hard to see it atm, all the team looks like it's developed relationships & chemistry all over the pitch especially two of the other new boys who joined the same day as Madders in MJ & Dapo. You also have Dennis to come back next season who will be hungry, dedicated & itching to get back on one of them wings hopefully either side of Dapo.