Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Maverick

Blondi

• Site Supporter

It’s been in my thoughts since I heard this morning about Frankie Worthy’s passing.

Are there two different and opposite meanings to the word maverick?

Is maverick a contronym?

We can’t have Frank Worthington hailed as a maverick and then Maddison being berated for being a maverick can we?

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

It’s been in my thoughts since I heard this morning about Frankie Worthy’s passing.

Is maverick a contronym?

We can’t have Frank Worthington hailed as a maverick and then Maddison being berated for being a maverick can we?

Maverick 

wasn't he a Pi lived in a caravan on a beach in LA

Can’t believe some of the so called Wanderers fans on here calling Maddison a nobhead and cock. At least give the guy a chance to get fit and adjust to his teammates before castigating him. Some of you have short memories and were probably the same ones lambasting a certain Aaron Wilbraham before a certain goal. Mad might just turn out to be this seasons saviour and if he is, he can have as many tattoos and coloured boots as he likes for me. Oh and by the way, I don’t suspect he compared himself in any way to Frankie Worthy, just saying.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Is maverick a contronym?

One was top scorer in the top league in the countryside represented England the other has shit hair and can not get in a team in bottom division. 

So there is a fundamental difference 

50 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Can’t believe some of the so called Wanderers fans on here calling Maddison a nobhead and cock. At least give the guy a chance to get fit and adjust to his teammates before castigating him. Some of you have short memories and were probably the same ones lambasting a certain Aaron Wilbraham before a certain goal. Mad might just turn out to be this seasons saviour and if he is, he can have as many tattoos and coloured boots as he likes for me. Oh and by the way, I don’t suspect he compared himself in any way to Frankie Worthy, just saying.

How long shall we give him?

Since he's been here he's only made us look poorer while he's been on the pitch and he doesn't care a jot about posting stuff on social media that makes him come across as thoroughly unprofessional.

Of course,  if he does something that wins us a game all will be forgiven such as the fuckle nature of us fans.

Let's not compare him to Wilbraham though.  Wilbraham's attitude and effort was never in doubt.

• Members
19 minutes ago, DazBob said:

How long shall we give him?

Since he's been here he's only made us look poorer while he's been on the pitch and he doesn't care a jot about posting stuff on social media that makes him come across as thoroughly unprofessional.

Of course,  if he does something that wins us a game all will be forgiven such as the fuckle nature of us fans.

Let's not compare him to Wilbraham though.  Wilbraham's attitude and effort was never in doubt.

IE said the ‘maverick’ term about him, he probably knew what he was going to get, but took a chance that up until now hasn’t worked out. 
He should be fit by now, that doesn’t wash with me, he’s 27 not 37. 
On the evidence of his performances he’s down the pecking order. It’s up to him to turn it around, if he can’t it’s not a big deal and off he pops at the end of his loan.

He has a real opportunity to be part of a something special, ball is in his court.

Tbf he hasn’t had a good run and when he has come on he’s trying too hard imo

yes there’s questions over his attitude plus with the team playing so well he will find it hard to get a place

if he contributes at some point great if not no loss he moves on 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Aaron Wilbraham was generally poor but gave everything he possibly could and then more, he's the sort who would run through walls.  Maddison allegedly has bags of ability but would rather stop up till 4.30am playing FIFA than turn out for the football team who pay his wages.

Ones a model professional, ones a cunt

Maddison may well be a cunt but since neither you nor I actually know him k32, it’s probably an unfair assessment, he may be a lovely fella. Personally I don’t care as long as he delivers for Wanderers on the field, if not he can do one at the end of his loan. All I’m saying is, let’s wait and see before we castigate the guy because he definitely has the ability to deliver for us despite so far underperforming.

Fuck me, a player comes in on loan, doesn't get much playing time and obvs is trying a bit too hard to pull things off and gets called a cunt, same people where probably taking the piss out of Santos at the start of the season and saying he should be subbed even if it took us down to 10 men.

Bet you were all chanting for Riga to come on a few years ago like he was the 2nd coming of pele 🤥

27 minutes ago, TroySwoosh said:

Fuck me, a player comes in on loan, doesn't get much playing time and obvs is trying a bit too hard to pull things off and gets called a cunt ...

Agreed. The lad may, or may not, make it with us ... I do hope he does ... but if it's not worked after a handful of gamesxmaybe he needs a bit more patience.

MJ Williams took a couple to settle ffs.

32 minutes ago, TroySwoosh said:

Fuck me, a player comes in on loan, doesn't get much playing time and obvs is trying a bit too hard to pull things off and gets called a cunt, same people where probably taking the piss out of Santos at the start of the season and saying he should be subbed even if it took us down to 10 men.

Bet you were all chanting for Riga to come on a few years ago like he was the 2nd coming of pele 🤥

To be fair Maddison has quite a bit of previous for being a cock 

• Members
46 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Agreed. The lad may, or may not, make it with us ... I do hope he does ... but if it's not worked after a handful of gamesxmaybe he needs a bit more patience.

MJ Williams took a couple to settle ffs.

Yeah but MJ is the Messiah

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, barryk32 said:

Aaron Wilbraham was generally poor but gave everything he possibly could and then more, he's the sort who would run through walls.  Maddison allegedly has bags of ability but would rather stop up till 4.30am playing FIFA than turn out for the football team who pay his wages.

Ones a model professional, ones a cunt

Seems about right.

Also remember one was being managed by Parky. 

This mon has a far more progressive bloke looking after him who is willing to embrace attacking talent, yet he shows so little.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Ani said:

Not sure he did , took a few experts on here a few games to realise what he brings to the team. 😁😂

Spotted it first game me Ani. I recognise talent 😁

Couldn’t give a flying fuck what Maddison gets up to off the pitch 

he’ll be judged on what he does on it. Has it worked out yet? No. Could he create or do something that goes along way to getting us up? Maybe. 

if he does it’s win win for us. If not then cheers and see you later 

no more no less 

31 minutes ago, Traf said:

Wilbraham?

If he'd been any good in earlier games, we wouldn't have need that late winner.

Hero by accident, like Robbie Savage another average clogger.

Is the right answer. he was turd but then did the magic. folk love pretending he was brilliant. he is a legend for keeping us up but as Traf says he should have made it so it wasn't needed.....the gamble could have failed and did until ALF came on. 

Maverick has been rubbish and brought nothing so far. happy clap him all you like but he is just costing money 

36 minutes ago, Big E said:

Is the right answer. he was turd but then did the magic. folk love pretending he was brilliant. he is a legend for keeping us up but as Traf says he should have made it so it wasn't needed.....the gamble could have failed and did until ALF came on. 

Maverick has been rubbish and brought nothing so far. happy clap him all you like but he is just costing money 

Not entirely in defence of Wilbraham as he was largely bobbins, but we wouldn’t have even been alive on the last day had he not scored in the 362nd minute at Sheff Weds earlier in the season 

19 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Aye the loopiest of looping headers.

Loved that.  Great cross from Postman (glad he got to contribute a bit in the championship) and good header from AW.

And not often BW fans can celebrate an important goal right in front of us in the last minute especially at a ground like Hillsborough. 

12 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Albie was a consummate professional and kept in very good shape. Just so he could maximise whatever chances he did get. While his performances weren’t always excellent, that’s all you can ask

As aforementioned, this lad seems to motivated by the wrong things and I’d clearly not always making the best choices at giving himself a chance to be in the best physical condition when he he gets a chance

i’d say you have it the wrong way around, them wanking over Maddison are the more likely ones to have done the same over Riga

i’m sure Maddison is capable of some quality stuff but whilst he’s fucking dreadful in every appearance, if it also seems he’s also not doing the right things in the pitch then he’s fair game for criticism