Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

26 years ago tonight......Bolton v Swindon, League Cup Semi Final at Burnden

miamiwhite

4 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Weirdly, we should've played Swindon in a league game on the Sat 11th Feb, but decided to play them the day after in the 1st Leg of the Semi.

Actually totally misread that Mick, please excuse me 😄 🤣 😂 

Anyway,  75th anniversary of the Burnden Disaster tomorrow, hope a few venture up to pay their respects 🙏 

3 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Actually totally misread that Mick, please excuse me 😄 🤣 😂 

Anyway,  75th anniversary of the Burnden Disaster tomorrow, hope a few venture up to pay their respects 🙏 

I missed the 1st Leg at Swindon due to a shortage of away tickets, the 3-3 was a blinder though in 89.

Guest Nordkurve
13 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I'd driven up for the original date only to hear it was called off due to the rain as I was passing Halifax. Worst rain I've driven in and then me fanbelt went.

Worth it for the "replay" though

Same here. I was on a BWFC London Supporters Club Minibus from London. we ended up in some pub near Huddersfield before driving back down South.

Remember watching first leg on tv live. Mcginley upset their defender then McMahon got involved. Peter Thorne getting interviewed pitch side straight after final whistle and seeing half the away end singing “where were you at burnden park “ across to the Swindon fans. Loved it.

Went to home game, outstanding night. Probably loudest I’ve ever heard burnden. Unbelievable atmosphere and intimidating as fuck 

Anyone remember the 2 lads who wore fancy dress in homage to our 2 Danes, Frandsen and Johansen? One was a packet of Lurpak and one was Lego Man. The Lurpak guy was stood up at the back of the away end, when he was in his seat he blocked the view of both his neighbours. Off here, perhaps?

I'm sure the previous round v Norwich was also called off originally, I remember being gutted should have been played before Christmas. 

Not on the same level as Swindon game obviously but a cracking night too, they were in Prem and you could tell, but we played superb to win 1-0 (Lee).

In the month between the 2 ties we beat both Charlton and Wolves 5-1.  We've had worse months.

Bolton players stayed in Reading the night before the 1st leg.  Quite a few were out clubbing the night before in Valbonnes in Caversham by the Thames.  Closing time Thommo was hammered and others had had quite a few.  2.30am me and a mate helped Thommo back over the bridge to the hotel.  He was fucked.

3.00pm the following day I was hanging out my arse in the home end with quite a few others.  

How some of them lads playing got their socks on I'll never know.  Ran out of steam a bit that day.  Wonder why?

5 hours ago, Thorpey said:

Bolton players stayed in Reading the night before the 1st leg.  Quite a few were out clubbing the night before in Valbonnes in Caversham by the Thames.  Closing time Thommo was hammered and others had had quite a few.  2.30am me and a mate helped Thommo back over the bridge to the hotel.  He was fucked.

3.00pm the following day I was hanging out my arse in the home end with quite a few others.  

How some of them lads playing got their socks on I'll never know.  Ran out of steam a bit that day.  Wonder why?

Proper footballers 😄

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm sure the previous round v Norwich was also called off originally, I remember being gutted should have been played before Christmas. 

Had a look and got confused as was sure it was before Christmas 

The game i was thinking about was the following season, freezing cold 0-0 aet penalty shoot out defeat 

Anyway 

We played Norwich in the QF the same night Liverpool played arsenal so guess it wasn't called off

12 hours ago, Zico said:

Had a look and got confused as was sure it was before Christmas 

The game i was thinking about was the following season, freezing cold 0-0 aet penalty shoot out defeat 

Anyway 

We played Norwich in the QF the same night Liverpool played arsenal so guess it wasn't called off

You're right, I must have got the postponements mixed up in my head.  All 4 quarter finals were played at 11th Jan.

The draw was kind to us, avoided Liverpool and Palace in semi.

BTW the combined attendance for Liv v Pal over 2 legs was less than 44k.  Puts our turn out v Tranmere and Villa a few years later into better perspective.

We got more at home v Swindon than Palace got at home v Liv and we were both 1 down from 1st leg.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You're right, I must have got the postponements mixed up in my head.  All 4 quarter finals were played at 11th Jan.

The draw was kind to us, avoided Liverpool and Palace in semi.

BTW the combined attendance for Liv v Pal over 2 legs was less than 44k.  Puts our turn out v Tranmere and Villa a few years later into better perspective.

We got more at home v Swindon than Palace got at home v Liv and we were both 1 down from 1st leg.

There’d be a meltdown these days (ignoring current times etc) if Liverpool only got 25k for a semi final