Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale (A)

leigh white

That was a bit of an "after the lord mayor's show" performance today but we've ground out yet another win. 

Sadly the top 3 all won and Cheltenham, Salford and Newport play in midweek. The upside is that we have very definitely consolidated ourselves in those play off spots.

As has been said before the key games are away matches v FGR, Morecambe, Newport, Salford. To have a chance of breaking in to that top three I think we probably need 10 points from those. It's a mark of our away record that it's not impossible by any means.

Won 9 Drawn 2 Lost 0 in our last 11. Incredible. Full marks to em.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Cheltenham winning wasn’t a bad thing

Nobody behind us can catch us without it being in our hands - beat Carlisle & Exeter, their games don’t matter.

we’ve got this, I’m convinced. We are the best team in the league

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Wouldn't mind seeing that lad from Lincoln come on for the last 15 here 

Good call Kent! Don’t think anybody would have called that one, but he did really well when he came on, never stopped chasing and closing down, didn’t give the ball away and showed some great quality keeping possession.

24 minutes ago, Cartman2932 said:

Terrible game but a great result. Winning ugly on shite pitches like that is all we can do. One game at a time.

Sums it up really. I commented at HT I thought we’d sneak it if we could produce one bit of quality from out wide, we did and scored.

Lee and Santos outstanding... again. And wellchuffed for Jones he’s deserved that from his recent performances. 

1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Nobody behind us can catch us without it being in our hands - beat Carlisle & Exeter, their games don’t matter.

we’ve got this, I’m convinced. We are the best team in the league

Totally

Setting up nicely for FGR who travel to Cambridge next week 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

See what you mean mate, but we’re looking up the table not behind us.

Midweek off, re-charge the batteries and we go again.

COYWM

Aye, Just gives a comfort zone in case we fuck up 

Similar to Southend where the opposition just tried to stifle us.  Winning ugly is just as important as winning in style and now buzzing once more, just a shame the top 3 all won but as long as we keep winning, we can do no more.

Kieran Lee is immense and a great signing, MOM for me.   

Commentators made me laugh more than annoyed, couldn’t decide if they wanted to shag or kill Santos, and now I have an urge to watch some wrestling after their many references.

Edited by bolton in bedford

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

A finish above them trampy cunts from Birkenhead would please me no end.

They've got games in hand, but by the same token, a lot of games to fit in. No midweek game I dont think, and the top 3 to play in addition to Exeter.

Could run out of puff!

7 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Mid-week fixtures are unkind.

Easy games for all the teams up there.

Away games @ FGR, Newport & Morecambe will define our season.

Home, easy games with the exception of Exeter & we can win them all.

Another enjoyable Saturday evening anyway.

There are no easy games at this stage of the season captain, anyone can and do beat anyone, so let’s just hope those above us think they’re easy and slip up.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They've got games in hand, but by the same token, a lot of games to fit in. No midweek game I dont think, and the top 3 to play in addition to Exeter.

Could run out of puff!

I like the fact we have Easter with 2 close games and the week of Salford but  other than that, we have a week between games now. No excuse for carrying niggles and being tired

A real grind but a great win nonetheless, tremendous collective effort and application again, including from Arthur and Elbouzedi who both played a good part. 

We weren't so good today with the ball but were excellent without it, great defensive work from 1-11, back four rock solid again but Williams and Lee breaking so much up in front of them a big help. Williams height a big plus today, he won umpteen headers second half 

A quiet midweek well earned and well appreciated I imagine, been a tough month. 

Some difficult games to come in the run in for sure but bobbly pitches and wind are likely to be as big a foe as any of them. That Cambridge performance said to me we shouldn't worry about anyone other than ourselves

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

We could do with a few more goals, I think a top 3 could come down to GD, and we are a few behind

From minute one, you could tell today was never going to be a day for bridging the goal difference gap. Getting the 3 points has proven to be vital with the rest of the results. 

And that today is all that matters 

• Site Supporter

When Elbow came on, my thoughts were his pace will make them drop 10 yards but his hold up play was better than we’ve seen before. 

He looked so unfit in Jan, maybe Maddison has been given a similar fitness programme to follow and we’ll see a similar improvement in 2 or 3 weeks time