Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sarah Everard

Rudy

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

I'll give it 12 months before some cunt does a dramatized TV version of the events.

There is some controversy over this Savile series. Can see both arguments, but won't be watching. 

Not the decision to do it, but because I don't need to learn more about him.

• The title was changed to Sarah Everard
  • Members
1 hour ago, deane koontz said:

I'll give it 12 months before some cunt does a dramatized TV version of the events.

There’s an argument that they are putting it in the spotlight so people  can become more vigilant, and people and police and learn if it’s dramatised and not just a news story. 

Plus it’s fact it’s already out there 

• Site Supporter

Twitter mob blaming all police for being corrupt wankers.

That’s like blaming all Muslims for 9/11.

I understand the reaction a bit, but evil on this level finds a way somehow. Fortunately it’s extremely rare.

it’s just fucking awful.

• Members
21 minutes ago, Spider said:

Twitter mob blaming all police for being corrupt wankers.

That’s like blaming all Muslims for 9/11.

I understand the reaction a bit, but evil on this level finds a way somehow. Fortunately it’s extremely rare.

it’s just fucking awful.

Have you seen he had the nickname 'the rapist' off his police pals because of how he made women uncomfortable? 

• Site Supporter

Talking about it now on the news.

A great danger of some exploiting this situation for ulterior motives, and mixing the whole issue up.

It was the police who caught this cunt, quickly. 

A mistake to start blaming them as if they're all murderers. One individual in 43000 met officers.

Maybe there are questions over his previous behaviour that should have been dealt with- complain if their performance isn't up to much- but can't start tarring them all with the same brush.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Talking about it now on the news.

A great danger of some exploiting this situation for ulterior motives, and mixing the whole issue up.

It was the police who caught this cunt, quickly. 

A mistake to start blaming them as if they're all murderers. One individual in 43000 met officers.

Maybe there are questions over his previous behaviour that should have been dealt with- complain if their performance isn't up to much- but can't start tarring them all with the same brush.

Largely agree with that.  I read some berk yesterday insisting that this should count as a 'death in custody' because he'd used his Police ID and handcuffs. 

There is, however, a wider debate about Police officers and the standards expected of them.  This guy had previous and just 3 days previously an allegation of exposing himself had been made, yet he wasn't suspended.

800 allegations of domestic abuse against Police officers in the last 5 years.  Of those found guilty, 52% were allowed to stay employed.  That doesnt send a great signal to victims.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Largely agree with that.  I read some berk yesterday insisting that this should count as a 'death in custody' because he'd used his Police ID and handcuffs. 

There is, however, a wider debate about Police officers and the standards expected of them.  This guy had previous and just 3 days previously an allegation of exposing himself had been made, yet he wasn't suspended.

800 allegations of domestic abuse against Police officers in the last 5 years.  Of those found guilty, 52% were allowed to stay employed.  That doesnt send a great signal to victims.

Indeed.

Remember, allegations are just that though- the problem seems to be the lack of investigation into them. Not just within the force neither, GMP has become shite- hope this new top man sorts it out.

Numbers don't help neither.

I have a mate, well for the duration of his tenure an ex-mate, who worked for the Police...

He said there was definitely a culture within for the 'good' copper, or 'new to the job' copper to look the other way and be reticent to whistleblow.

In comparison to other similar sectors; social work, probation services, education, health, care etc.

He's a big handy smart lad and was encouraged to go full Bacon constantly, this culture was the prime reason he demurred (and left altogether eventually).

He's not the ballooning Mitty type either...

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I have a mate, well for the duration of his tenure an ex-mate, who worked for the Police...

He said there was definitely a culture within for the 'good' copper, or 'new to the job' copper to look the other way and be reticent to whistleblow.

In comparison to other similar sectors; social work, probation services, education, health, care etc.

He's a big handy smart lad and was encouraged to go full Bacon constantly, this culture was the prime reason he demurred (and left altogether eventually).

He's not the ballooning Mitty type either...

Not actually sure what you’re getting at here. Are you suggesting brand new cops are keen but start picking up quicker/easier/less official methods as they go on?

And your mate/ex-mate didn’t like this so left?

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Not actually sure what you’re getting at here. Are you suggesting brand new cops are keen but start picking up quicker/easier/less official methods as they go on?

And your mate/ex-mate didn’t like this so left?

He just said there was a culture of looking the other way, even applicable to the 'good' coppers, and initiates picked this up quickly...

You know how in criminal circles 'grassing' is very much frowned upon, well...

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

He just said there was a culture of looking the other way, even applicable to the 'good' coppers, and initiates picked this up quickly...

You know how in criminal circles 'grassing' is very much frowned upon, well...

Bullying then? In a ‘look the other way if you want to survive in the job!’ type of way?

• Site Supporter

I think you'll find that culture, to a greater or lesser extent in any service/industry. 

Always a certain amount of looking after each other, and particularly in a service that is always under scrutiny from all parts.

The camaraderie is part of human nature, but no doubt oversteps the mark sometimes.

Not sure you can ever fully remove that, without risking destroying any sense of team ethic and morale. 

Whether this was the case here, with colleagues thinking he's a bit odd and nothing more, or whether it's genuine negligence, I'm sure will come out in due course.

Bound to be some sort of investigation. 

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think you'll find that culture, to a greater or lesser extent in any service/industry...

According to this lad it was very much to a greater extent.

To the extent he left, just after moving to a bigger house and arrival of his 2nd child, to an uncertain future.

Was on a decent wedge as well.

He drove deliveries for a supermarket immediately after for a spell to keep some money coming in...

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Nowack said:

I believe that a few officers stood up during the trial and gave him a character reference, that is really taking camaraderie to a new level.

There was no trial.

He admitted guilt so no need.

Not sure where you got your information from.

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There was no trial.

He admitted guilt so no need.

Not sure where you got your information from.

On the news they mentioned that part of the sentencing yesterday that officers spoke on behalf of him. I have had a look and not found anything else on it so am happy to retract it. 

2 minutes ago, Nowack said:

On the news they mentioned that part of the sentencing yesterday that officers spoke on behalf of him. I have had a look and not found anything else on it so am happy to retract it. 

That guy Afzal who prosecuted the Rochdale groomers alluded to officers speaking up for him after his guilty plea.

Can't find the article though.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Nowack said:

I think you’re right but it was the judge was hearing from family, police and others 

Edit-  but I don’t think it was supporting him 

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Seems weird that- which channel?

The reporter today (bbc) said his lawyer suggested some reasons for mitigation, but not heard of anyone giving references. Is it even allowed in sentencing?