Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chris Wilder

deane koontz

4 hours ago, hughmungus said:

Now that the Evattino experiment is thankfully reaching its conclusion, its time we upped our game (lets be honest its not hard with Evatt) and bust a gut to get Wilder.

Hopefully we would get back to watching teams that want to win properly.

You have missed half your handle ......I am not biting like some on here. Not a cat in hell are you a  Bolton fan

Hughmungus Windup

8 hours ago, W.cramp said:

Plenty of bad signings in football but 23 million for Brewster has to be right up there with the worst.   

Strange one with Brewster, £23m isn’t THAT much in today’s market and if he didn’t cut it in the Prem this year (which he clearly hasn’t) then he’s already proven he’ll score plenty of goals in the championship a and should give them a good chance of coming straight back up.

Add to that that he’s still young and so could probably sell now for £10-15m even after this awful season, and one successful season will likely put his value back to what they spent and I don’t think it’s as bad as it seems. Granted for £23m you’d want someone to keep you in the prem, so he’s failed at that, but in terms of investment I don’t think it’s a disaster.

Getting rid of Wilder on the other hand is a terrible decision. They should have taken the same view as Burnley did with Dyche, and Norwich are doing now - keep things stable, same manager, most of the same players and you’ll have a very good chance of bouncing straight back.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, W.cramp said:

Plenty of bad signings in football but 23 million for Brewster has to be right up there with the worst.   

Fine margins. Brewster could have been a good signing for them. He is their N’gog

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

One of my first post on here was about Wilder, what he did at Sheffield United was pretty phenomenal, and he did it in some style as well, played decent football and marched to the Premier League, and with some of the same players he had in L1.

Fantastic manager, he's had a bad season and since football resumed under covid conditions and zero crowds, they have lost their mojo, if any club has missed crowds, its Sheffield United, Bramhall Lane with fans is a difficult place to go.

I know fans of other clubs hate the fucker, if he was manager of your club you'd love him. I don't think the fans were wanting him out, I'd be surprised if they don't spiral back down the leagues, they've had a good 5 or 6 years, it comes to all, as we well know.

Right man at the right time.

He has now been found out, like all football managers do.

42 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

One of my first post on here was about Wilder, what he did at Sheffield United was pretty phenomenal, and he did it in some style as well, played decent football and marched to the Premier League, and with some of the same players he had in L1.

Fantastic manager, he's had a bad season and since football resumed under covid conditions and zero crowds, they have lost their mojo, if any club has missed crowds, its Sheffield United, Bramhall Lane with fans is a difficult place to go.

I know fans of other clubs hate the fucker, if he was manager of your club you'd love him. I don't think the fans were wanting him out, I'd be surprised if they don't spiral back down the leagues, they've had a good 5 or 6 years, it comes to all, as we well know.

Yep. Echoes of BWFC with Sheff U. BSA/Wilder. Lower league to Prem and clubs hating away games against us (them) and the "fuck you" attitude. Diouff/Fat Billy Sharpe

The big difference was BSA was clued up about signings - Djorkaeff, Campo, the list goes on.....

Like you I could see the bubble burst over the next few years

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Zico said:

Does anyone remember what hughmungus was like before he decided to self ostracise himself from the realm of critical thinking?

I’m not interested enough to go searching through history. But if my memory serves me right, he is a Bolton fan, living in Wigan and used to be a travel agent. 

3 hours ago, Horwich said:

Right man at the right time.

He has now been found out, like all football managers do.

Interesting point that, I think I agree with you in general but there must be some exceptions such as, Shankly, Stein, Clough, Paisley, Fagan, Robson, Venables, Ferguson and possibly Pep & Klopp may be added in the future as well?

12 hours ago, hughmungus said:

Now that the Evattino experiment is thankfully reaching its conclusion, its time we upped our game (lets be honest its not hard with Evatt) and bust a gut to get Wilder.

Hopefully we would get back to watching teams that want to win properly.

I'm fully convinced you're a troll now

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ros Coe said:

Interesting point that, I think I agree with you in general but there must be some exceptions such as, Shankly, Stein, Clough, Paisley, Fagan, Robson, Venables, Ferguson and possibly Pep & Klopp may be added in the future as well?

Ferguson was the biggest ever right person, right time manager. The group of players that were coming through at the time will never happen ever again.

I rate Pep

Think Klopp was at the right club at the right time and did ok in the main

Rest are before my time

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, jmjhb said:

I have a strange suspicion he won't be successful anywhere else

Won promotions with Oxford and Northampton unless you mean successful in premier league terms.

He'll be this generations Big Mick or Colin 

In an interview a week or so ago he was very spiky when asked about if he'd be still there next season.

Massive loss for them I suspect.

Awful accent too btw. Why does he have that accent instead of sounding like Sean Bean given he's supposed to be a dyed in the wool Blade?