Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chris Wilder

deane koontz

• Moderators

this seems to explain it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chris-wilder-aware-sheffield-united-23703233

board not impressed with him shelling out £23M for a striker who hasn't scored

didn't back him in January

wanted a technical director to be in charge of transfers instead

he was having none of it

£7M pay off

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

In L1, they were dwindling before Wilder came, not sure what they were exactly, but they were single figures. No different than most clubs, we would have done well to hit double figures this season.

More like averaging 19k before wilder 

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

In L1, they were dwindling before Wilder came, not sure what they were exactly, but they were single figures. No different than most clubs, we would have done well to hit double figures this season.

Wiki says between 17 and 18k in league one 

7k might have been a midweek league cup match 

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Aye I have it wrong, tbf considering they were in L1 for 6 seasons before Wilder arrived, their crowds held up better than first thought.

Though when I was at uni there we did used to get £5 tickets and the ground was at the bottom of our road 

Tinpot 😀

14 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Less than that fella, got it wrong, not quite in single figures, but their fairweather fans, those that turn up when your doing well, will disappear. They do at every club... even more so at ours.

Anyway Sheffield give student ticket discounts😀

5 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Though when I was at uni there we did used to get £5 tickets and the ground was at the bottom of our road 

Tinpot 😀

Yeah, can't remember whether it was only for certain games or for all of them. Went to see them play Arsenal in the cup once.

When they first linked up with us The University of Bolton used to do the same but £10 a ticket.

I always used to ask the girl (handful, very pretty but really overdoing it unnecessarily, like they often do nowadays) how many they'd sold when passing on a Friday, she'd open the drawer to reveal a big unsold wedge...

Apart from the visit of Watford - they sold out, presumably to Watford students who could keep their traps shut.

Blades are very well supported don’t worry about that. It’s just that both they and Wednesday have been in the doldrums for so long they’ve obviously drifted. Both are potential big clubs with little competition until you get to Leeds. Bad move to let Wilder go for me and I think they’ll live to regret it.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

this seems to explain it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chris-wilder-aware-sheffield-united-23703233

he was having none of it

£7M pay off

£23m is peanuts at PL level and any player can find it takes a while to settle. Bigger PL clubs have 4 or 5 quality strikers so one not hitting it off isn’t noticed but when you only have one it’s noticeable. The board should have backed him like we should have Big Sam but they haven’t and deserve what they get. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

£23m is peanuts at PL level and any player can find it takes a while to settle. Bigger PL clubs have 4 or 5 quality strikers so one not hitting it off isn’t noticed but when you only have one it’s noticeable. The board should have backed him like we should have Big Sam but they haven’t and deserve what they get. 

How many players has he actually signed since being promoted who start? 

Every time I've seen them it always still looks like their L1 or Championship team

Edited by Zico

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

this seems to explain it

he was having none of it

£7M pay off

He'll have a nicer garden than Megson with a pay off like that

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

How much did they spend on the keeper who got relegated with Bournemouth?

Especially when he used to play for them 

1 minute ago, Steejay said:

Think it was about £16m.

He's shite.

So nigh on £40m on two players doing nowt to help them stay up 

then there’s the wages 

it’s easy to say 23m is nothing, but cumulatively with a 16m keeper with form for relegation, plus wages it all adds up

• Site Supporter
On 12/03/2021 at 12:03, hughmungus said:

Now that the Evattino experiment is thankfully reaching its conclusion, its time we upped our game (lets be honest its not hard with Evatt) and bust a gut to get Wilder.

Hopefully we would get back to watching teams that want to win properly.

What a twat!

Very difficult to understand why a tight knitted team who came 9th in their first season back should so abject the next. Cut off & effective relegated by Christmas.

Normally even the poor teams have some sort of run.

Wilder was Sheffield United through and through, he'd developed a solid bunch.

That's about more than a couple of poor signings.

7 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Lots of newly promoted (to the premier) have a great first season. Surviving the second; once all the others have stopped underestimating you is key.

Yeah, I get the difficult second season, but 14 points from 28 games is special. Still some way better than Derby's infamous 11 from 38 in 2007-08.

I think the fact that, despite what Wilder has achieved the man has felt resigning was his only option & they've done nothing to keep him says a lot.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Yeah, I get the difficult second season, but 14 points from 28 games is special. Still some way better than Derby's infamous 11 from 38 in 2007-08.

I think the fact that, despite what Wilder has achieved the man has felt resigning was his only option & they've done nothing to keep him says a lot.

£7m payoff I read.