Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Our remaining 11 games

Burndens Bogs

We all know what we've done in the last 11 games - P11 W9 D2 L0, a magnificent run.

But what about the final 11 games?

I'd happily take W7 D2 L2 and finish on 80pts, that should be enough for an auto spot Shirley?

How many points do you lot think we'll manage in our final 11 games?

Based on a quick look of the last few seasons (I'm basing this on getting 1 more point than 4th)

18/19 - 77 points (6W, 2D)

17/18 - 81 points (8W)

16/17 - 78 (7W)

15/16 - 86! (9W 2D)

14/15 - 85 (9W 1D)

13/14 - 77

As few as 5 wins gets (keeps) us in the playoffs

Edited by jmjhb

13 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Didn't Evatt put a big run together at Barrow?

Just want to be well settled in the paly offs at Easter and then it is a final campaign

Think the most they managed were 7 in a row but could be wrong. 

Quite a gap in the outright odds now with the bookies having us safely in the top 7. 

I was saying 8-2-2 before today so will stick with 7-2-2 now. It's far from impossible given the way we are dealing with this league just now. That'd be 80 points.

One thing I'd like to see us do is hammer a couple of sides to boost up our goal difference. 

One aside from a historical perspective, we need 79 points to better the 78 we achieved in finishing 3rd in our one and only previous Div 4 season in 1987/88. That was 22-12-12. At the equivalent stage of that season, Simon Marland's book shows me we were on 17-8-10 and therefore two points better off than our current position in 20/21. We will need better than the 5-4-2 achieved by JT, Big Trev, Mark Came, Robbie Savage and Thommo in the last 11 games all those years ago.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We all know what we've done in the last 11 games - P11 W9 D2 L0, a magnificent run.

But what about the final 11 games?

I'd happily take W7 D2 L2 and finish on 80pts, that should be enough for an auto spot Shirley?

How many points do you lot think we'll manage in our final 11 games?

I'd be disappointed with failure to win 4 of the last 11.  We should win every home game (hopefully) and Grimsby away.  That leaves 5 away games, not saying they aren't in the "tough" category but if we only win 1 its a poor run that would probably cost us 3rd place given that we have ground to make up.

I've competed  in lots of leagues, football, rugby, snooker, pool, motorbikes and so on, all I know is you will will hit a run of form at some time and whether you win the league depends on how long you keep that run of form going

Over next couple of weeks teams will play their games in hand, so we will need to win next week to keep our current position. 

Hopefully the week off will help us get players bouncing for Walsall  

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, tomski said:

We keep doing our bit we won’t need to worry about anyone else. Normally I’m doing predictions and calculations. Don’t think it needs doing this time.

I know we look at who has got who to play, and hope for positive results, but as you say, if we keep winning, things should turn out grand for us.

If we do keep winning but 3 other teams also do well and finish above us then fair play to them for that.

25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I know we look at who has got who to play, and hope for positive results, but as you say, if we keep winning, things should turn out grand for us.

If we do keep winning but 3 other teams also do well and finish above us then fair play to them for that.

Spot on pal. Can’t see it myself but no grumbles if that’s the case. It’s incredible we have the opportunity that we have considering our previous form