Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Happy St Patrick’s Day

globaldiver

I must admit, it's not for me, this celebrating St Patrick's Day lark, and I do find it odd that plenty of people (in normal times) who have no Oirish connection at all use it as an excuse to go out and get hammered - Two of Mrs Sweep's cousins always go out on the piss on on St Paddy's Day (even calling it that is ridiculous) they love it, book a day of work and travel down to London for a day on the raging lash on Guinness. It's like some sort of tradition for them, in any other year they'd be meeting up about now for Breakfast in the local 'Spoons before getting the train to London......only to come back in about 12 hours with them foam Guinsess hats on and about £150 lighter in the pocket. Still, each to their own and all that I suppose

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I must admit, it's not for me, this celebrating St Patrick's Day lark, and I do find it odd that plenty of people (in normal times) who have no Oirish connection at all use it as an excuse to go out and get hammered - Two of Mrs Sweep's cousins always go out on the piss on on St Paddy's Day (even calling it that is ridiculous) they love it, book a day of work and travel down to London for a day on the raging lash on Guinness. It's like some sort of tradition for them, in any other year they'd be meeting up about now for Breakfast in the local 'Spoons before getting the train to London......only to come back in about 12 hours with them foam Guinsess hats on and about £150 lighter in the pocket. Still, each to their own and all that I suppose

Sounds like a decent day/evening out apart from the foam hats and St Patrick.

8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

My wife is Irish and our two sprogs are 50% Rasta 50% leprechaun 

I drink Guinness most nights as well. So they’re alright me the Irish lot. The southern not those mad cunts up the road 😁

A Rastachaun, they have a secret pot of weed hidden at the end of the rainbow

• Site Supporter

I understand why people don’t want to celebrate, but don’t understand the sheer anger towards it either ( by some) . I get the bemusement around people with no connections wearing Guinness hats and then not doing anything on St George’s day.

theres a reason it’s a day at all and the fact landmarks around the world turn green 

I’m Irish, wouldn’t wear a Guinness hat for love or money, but do like the day ( in normal circumstances) but that’s for more the cultural and in particular sporting events that take place , though I have been known to get pissed while doing these too, but not for a good while now. 

the day itself is developed from the sheer amount of diaspora and dependents of those celebrating their roots and developed Guinness et al turned it into the marketing monster it is now , it used to be a holy day in Ireland and the pubs were shut up until the 70s, it’s just the national day of a country, some people complaining about it slagging it off do nothing on St George’s but also put up American flags on Independence Day, which is independence from the Country they say they  love .That bemuses me just as much to be honest .

Edited by fatolive

1 hour ago, fatolive said:

I understand why people don’t want to celebrate, but don’t understand the sheer anger towards it either ( by some) . I get the bemusement around people with no connections wearing Guinness hats and then not doing anything on St George’s day.

theres a reason it’s a day at all and the fact landmarks around the world turn green 

I’m Irish, wouldn’t wear a Guinness hat for love or money, but do like the day ( in normal circumstances) but that’s for more the cultural and in particular sporting events that take place , though I have been known to get pissed while doing these too, but not for a good while now. 

the day itself is developed from the sheer amount of diaspora and dependents of those celebrating their roots and developed Guinness et al turned it into the marketing monster it is now , it used to be a holy day in Ireland and the pubs were shut up until the 70s, it’s just the national day of a country, some people complaining about it slagging it off do nothing on St George’s but also put up American flags on Independence Day, which is independence from the Country they say they  That bemuses me just as much to be honest .

As I said earlier, it's not for me. I also, for balance, don't understand those who decide to take a day of work to get pissed to "celebrate" St Georges day either. I can get my head around celebrating various "Independence Days" in some countries, but to celebrate some probably fictitious person, who the Catholic Church (I presume) decided to beatify or what ever it is they do I'm not too sure about

Edited by Sweep

My grandmother's parents were both from the same peat bog in Longford, but actually properly got talking on Chorley Old Road, he was digging a hole and she walked past apparently. I get my pisscan genes from her, he died young and she turned to the turps.

Anyhow I feel no more need to don a stupid hat or sup Guinness today (as a result of this info) than I feel the need to celebrate; The Night of the Long Knives, Adam Bogdan's Birthday or Yom Kippur nor eat trifle in Gibraltar whilst dressed as a Crusader on some random Turkish bloke's 'Saint' day (on account of other forks of my lineage).

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

If your parents don't have an accent you're (insert country of birth) not (country of ancestry) - if only one parent has an accent you can claim quarter ancestry if that floats your boat.

Now then, where's my Totemkopf flag for Long Knife night...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

My grandmother's parents were both from the same peat bog in Longford, but actually properly got talking on Chorley Old Road, he was digging a hole and she walked past apparently. I get my pisscan genes from her, he died young and she turned to the turps.

Anyhow I feel no more need to don a stupid hat or sup Guinness today (as a result of this info) than I feel the need to celebrate; The Night of the Long Knives, Adam Bogdan's Birthday or Yom Kippur nor eat trifle in Gibraltar whilst dressed as a Crusader on some random Turkish bloke's 'Saint' day (on account of other forks of lineage).

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

If your parents don't have an accent you're (insert country of birth) not (country of ancestry) - if only one parent has an accent you can claim quarter ancestry if that floats your boat.

Now then, where's my Totemkopf flag for Long Knife night...

Mudblood