Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In America

Zico

How many deaths over here due to; bowler hats, cups of tea and English crumpets, though?

Why do they think crumpets are particularly English? Why do they specify 'english' crumpets, are other nation's crumpets available over there? Has anyone ate what they (the septics) think is an 'English' crumpet over there? How did it compare to say a Warbies one?

I reckon' they're probably more like a pikelet crossed with a scotch pancake there.

I bet they're sweet an' all - they ram fucking everything with sugar over there, fat bastards.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

I once made the mistake of ordering pancakes with breakfast in Philadelphia. Fucking hell, 10 x 9” sweet and thick pancakes and a jar of maple syrup. 
It was a heart attack on a plate.

Oh, their bacon is shit too. And chips (fries) as a breakfast item.

Grits, what the fuck are grits?

19 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I once made the mistake of ordering pancakes with breakfast in Philadelphia. Fucking hell, 10 x 9” sweet and thick pancakes and a jar of maple syrup. 

We tried in Chicago couple of years ago, horrible, went a wedding in Kentucky same week and they were served with meal, slightly better but a long way off good. 
Corn Beef Hash was another unusual breakfast item. 

17 minutes ago, MickyD said:

you are correct the bacon is shit, once upset a butcher when asked him what he had done with the pig with all the meat on it, you need to order if they have is Canadian bacon, thats more like ours.

And yes grits is absolutely fucking shit , with a shit topping

1 hour ago, tyldesley_white said:

you are correct the bacon is shit, once upset a butcher when asked him what he had done with the pig with all the meat on it, you need to order if they have is Canadian bacon, thats more like ours.

That bodes well with a U S trade agreement over here.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, tyldesley_white said:

I asked an American guy why their bacon is shit. Even Canadian isn’t up to good old Danish back.

He questioned why we eat the meatiest part of a pig in thin slices and overpower it with salt and smokiness.

Maybe he had a point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2021 at 22:36, MickyD said:

I asked an American guy why their bacon is shit. Even Canadian isn’t up to good old Danish back.

He questioned why we eat the meatiest part of a pig in thin slices and overpower it with salt and smokiness.

Maybe he had a point.

The weird fuckers also have “biscuits” for breakfast. I always find there’s a certain charm to iHops and that kinda place even though the food is shite.

That said there’s one great options in the states for brekkie; across I’ve been to a few cracking Mexican places and there’s a small chain called Another Broken Egg Cafe that does the American breakfast stuff but just seems to be a bit “fresher” & more modern.

4 hours ago, Spider said:

I had huevos rancheros for breakfast near Miami once.

Its not, and will never be, a breakfast dish.

I had chicken jalfrezi for breakfast in a roof top restaurant in Margao, India.
That's not a breakfast dish, either.

7 hours ago, Traf said:

I had chicken jalfrezi for breakfast in a roof top restaurant in Margao, India.
That's not a breakfast dish, either.

Best thing about India was having curried stuff for breakfast. 

As an aside the first time I stayed in Ho Chi Minh I remember being sat eating for breakfast a plate consisting of grilled octopus , dim sum and pickled vegetables with a bowl of noodle soup (pho)  with fillet steak on top on the side.   Was tremendous. 

proper pho I would have for breakfast now most mornings if I could cook it or acquire it locally. 

45 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Best thing about India was having curried stuff for breakfast. 

As an aside the first time I stayed in Ho Chi Minh I remember being sat eating for breakfast a plate consisting of grilled octopus , dim sum and pickled vegetables with a bowl of noodle soup (pho)  with fillet steak on top on the side.   Was tremendous. 

proper pho I would have for breakfast now most mornings if I could cook it or acquire it locally. 

Pho is great isn't it but I wouldn't even attempt to make it myself.  I made the mistake in some village somewhere, of adding a bit of the chilli sauce they put out on the table.  A single teaspoon rendered it inedible! 

• 3 weeks later...