Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FGR Away

RUREADY2ROLL

11 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I've been mulling it over, we seem to play with more energy if we play twice a week. Last Saturday after a week we seemed to have gone back to our previous lethargic style. I know IE plays a high energy possession game, do we need two outings a week to keep the energy level up?

In that interview IE did on Football Focus, he said Saturday-Tuesday suited us better

10 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I've been mulling it over, we seem to play with more energy if we play twice a week. Last Saturday after a week we seemed to have gone back to our previous lethargic style. I know IE plays a high energy possession game, do we need two outings a week to keep the energy level up?

It seemed to work well for a month or so when we went on this run but looked very Leggy at PV which in part contributed to the poor performance 

think IE said the stats showed it too. Less distance covered etc

add to that there weren’t many if any changes to the team (understandable) but I think there were opportunities to bring in Arthur / Tomasson / Miller 

rest will def do us good now for the final furlong 

• Members
39 minutes ago, Dimron said:

If you play on a Saturday you should ideally be resting on a Thursday having Two games a week that’s not possible. Their energy levels would have changed, so having a big gap between games all of a sudden, it was to be expected. No coincidence that Walsall had a high tempo in the first then fell away, where as we over ran them in the second. 

Just a readjustment period.

That’s why the best clubs pay top dollar for the best analysts 😁

Edited by Rudy

We should just get Maddison to engage with them all on social media until 4am before the game.  He could then contribute something.

Anyway, having watched them last night against Honest Nige's lot we have nothing to fear, nor do we from any other team in this league.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

They’ve failed to score in 3 of the last 6 (although did score 2 in each of the other 3).

We’ve got 11 more points than them in the last 10 games (28 vs. 17).

They’ve won 3 in their last 8 home games (Harrogate, Colchester, Oldham).

To be fair they all mean very little, we’re full of confidence and seem to play our best stuff against better teams and that’s why we’ll win.

Good stats.

Here's another, in our last 9 aways the only time we've scored in the 1st half has been Oldham.  

We've only gone 2 up 3 times all season and 2 of them were when we were "crap" (Harrogate and Stevenage).

So I'm putting my pound on 0-0 h-t, 0-1 f-t and expecting neutrals to turn off after an hour due to lack of goalmouth excitement, which won't bother us as long as we pinch it.

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

If you play on a Saturday you should ideally be resting on a Thursday having Two games a week that’s not possible. Their energy levels would have changed, so having a big gap between games all of a sudden, it was to be expected. No coincidence that Walsall had a high tempo in the first then fell away, where as we over ran them in the second. 

Just a readjustment period.

That’s why the best clubs pay top dollar for the best analysts 😁

So the team have got bedded into cycles of 2 and 3 day recovery periods but when a 6 day recovery period comes along they lose their playing mojo, is it just physical or is it also psychological?

• Members
2 minutes ago, Dimron said:

So the team have got bedded into cycles of 2 and 3 day recovery periods but when a 6 day recovery period comes along they lose their playing mojo, is it just physical or is it also psychological?

It’s both, the body has rhythmic memory, it knows when to relax, when to expect exercise when to expect sleep. You can condition it to a regular pattern. 
In sport it’s what gives the best team the extra edge.

It’s psychological as well, say for instance in a game, us for example, we press high and at a quick tempo early on, the mind knows without looking at the clock when that changes, and when to change it back. It’s all interlinked, condition the mind when to work to a pattern and physically you’ll be able to do it as well.

Came from Haile Gebrselassie coaches who used sleep patterns as much as running patterns 

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

It’s both, the body has rhythmic memory, it knows when to relax, when to expect exercise when to expect sleep. You can condition it to a regular pattern. 

It’s psychological as well, say for instance in a game, us for example, we press high and at a quick tempo early on, the mind knows without looking at the clock when that changes, and when to change it back. It’s all interlinked, condition the mind when to work to a pattern and physically you’ll be able to do it as well.

Came from Haile Gebrselassie coaches who used sleep patterns as much as running patterns 

Fascinating stuff.

Unfortunately I'm a dinosaur from a previous era where the players could go on the beer the night before, smoke a woodbine, get the bus to the ground and have beans on toast as a pre-match meal. 

Do they still serve cups of tea and oranges at half time?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Was just going to say that 😃

20 hours ago, Ani said:

He is being a clever cunt as we kick off early 

Well he outsmarted me. 😁

It'd be nice to be above them even if it was for only three hours. Also  I reckon if we did win it would really pile the pressure on the teams above us.

10 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Fascinating stuff.

Unfortunately I'm a dinosaur from a previous era where the players could go on the beer the night before, smoke a woodbine, get the bus to the ground and have beans on toast as a pre-match meal. 

Or if your the late great Frankie Worthington get well and truly lathered then hump a couple of beautiful blondes, :::lol:::!!!

That old fashioned half time refreshment reminded me of a funny quote...

Manager: If you don't play well, I'll pull you off at half time

Player: Really we only got a cup of tea and an orange at my last club

Something like that, can't remember the player who said it though

Just looked it up it was Alf Ramsey and Rodney Marsh.

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

• Members
25 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Fascinating stuff.

Haha no all strict diets nowadays. Water and energy gels 

1 hour ago, tkonion said:

Well he outsmarted me. 😁

It'd be nice to be above them even if it was for only three hours. Also  I reckon if we did win it would really pile the pressure on the teams above us.

I'm no mind reader but I would bet that the teams above us will be assuming we'll be one of the top 3 in another 10 games, given that we've closed the gap and are so far ahead in the form table.  I think they'd rather find out that FGR have lost come 2pm than us.  They know they can all finish above FGR, they wont be so sure about finishing above us even if we lose on Sat.

21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm no mind reader but I would bet that the teams above us will be assuming we'll be one of the top 3 in another 10 games, given that we've closed the gap and are so far ahead in the form table.  I think they'd rather find out that FGR have lost come 2pm than us.  They know they can all finish above FGR, they wont be so sure about finishing above us even if we lose on Sat.

Nah, i reckon each team will just be concentrating on winning their own next games. If players started worrying about form and permutations, it might just scramble their little heads.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Pressure affects players in different ways, especially when you can see the finishing line. FGR seem to be suffering at the moment and stalling after their good run so hopefully we’re playing them at the right time. In fairness, all those postponements did us a favour, allowing us to play teams after we’d strengthened in January, so as we’re getting stronger, the likes of FGR, Cambridge, Newport and Exeter seem to be falling off. I think mentally we are strong at the moment and chasing the top spots is always easier than protecting what you’ve got, so I’ve no doubts our run will continue and we’ll at least make the top 3 and possibly the championship.