Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FGR Away

RUREADY2ROLL

16 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nah, i reckon each team will just be concentrating on winning their own next games. If players started worrying about form and permutations, it might just scramble their little heads.

I agree there, I was more referring to fans rather than players.  I honestly don't think players give it that much thought, if its possible to generalise.  They will be concerned firstly about being in the team, then about winning their own game (and a win bonus), position in the league will be down the list of priorities for many until it gets to the nitty gritty last half a dozen games maybe.  Even then it will be those that are almost certain to be here and in the 1st team next season eg Doyle, Sarce, Santos that have the vested interest, many wont know where they'll be in July. 

16 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Nah, i reckon each team will just be concentrating on winning their own next games. If players started worrying about form and permutations, it might just scramble their little heads.

I agree, especially those above us, they only need to concentrate on themselves - they keep winning, and we won't catch them, that's all they need to think about

I do wonder though, if any players are like those sad fucker fans who sit and do those prediction things they have on the BBC, where they try and guess every single score for about the last 7 or 8 games. You'll always have some sad mentalist telling you "I've done one of those predictor things, and I have us finishing on 85pts and going up in as Champions on GD"  - it's almost duller than grown men looking pleased with themselves when a player scores a goal in a PL game, as they tell you "I've just put him in my fantasy football team" , as though any other sane adult is interested

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

I agree, especially those above us, they only need to concentrate on themselves - they keep winning, and we won't catch them, that's all they need to think about

I do wonder though, if any players are like those sad fucker fans who sit and do those prediction things they have on the BBC, where they try and guess every single score for about the last 7 or 8 games. You'll always have some sad mentalist telling you "I've done one of those predictor things, and I have us finishing on 85pts and going up in as Champions on GD"  - it's almost duller than grown men looking pleased with themselves when a player scores a goal in a PL game, as they tell you "I've just put him in my fantasy football team" , as though any other sane adult is interested

One problem with that- they can't. 

We win all our games, and we finish in the top 3.

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Footballers especially now have a lot of spare time on their hands. I bet they    are looking at fixtures all the time, even if it is just to think 'that is a shitty journey.' Also they will have mates at other clubs who they chat with 

full time refs and lines men are banned from fantasy league games. Just a fact to throw in. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Ani said:

Footballers especially now have a lot of spare time on their hands. I bet they    are looking at fixtures all the time, even if it is just to think 'that is a shitty journey.' Also they will have mates at other clubs who they chat with 

full time refs and lines men are banned from fantasy league games. Just a fact to throw in. 

Aye. IE admitted he heard some of our players discussing other clubs' games, and they are only human. Of course players will be aware of the situation. 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Where bouts in Cambridge you live? 

I spent a year in Sawston/Abington 

Over the years I have worked at the Welding Institute and Babraham Science Park doing building things.

Just finished first phase of a trading park at Deal Farms in Sawston, I've been digging the main Sawston road up a lot holding up the traffic. Hoping to build phase 2 this year so I'm down there seeing the owner quite a lot.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Over the years I have worked at the Welding Institute and Babraham Science Park doing building things.

Just finished first phase of a trading park at Deal Farms in Sawston, I've been digging the main Sawston road up a lot holding up the traffic. Hoping to build phase 2 this year so I'm down there seeing the owner quite a lot.

Proper good micro bar on Chesterton Rd called Thirsty. 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Dimron said:

The reason I lived there was that I did my uni year's work placement at TWI 

Back in 97/98 

It wasnt the science park back then it is now 

Played Sunday league for them in Cambridgeshire South Division 5, something like that

Sawston was a proper come down in terms of student life after two years in Sheffield 

The pubs were very local and wary of outsiders, chippys didn't do gravy or curry, and I found it odd most kebab shops round there were mobile vans that popped up outside pubs of a weekend 

Apparently it's claim was it was the biggest village/town in Cambridgeshire but was barely bigger than Blackrod 

Knew a few lads who did Cambridge away all over, went to the big one with them, away at Peterborough, they lost 1-0, Barry Fry did his obligatory run up the touchline 

As you were

1 hour ago, Zico said:

The reason I lived there was that I did my uni year's work placement at TWI 

Back in 97/98 

It wasnt the science park back then it is now 

Played Sunday league for them in Cambridgeshire South Division 5, something like that

Sawston was a proper come down in terms of student life after two years in Sheffield 

The pubs were very local and wary of outsiders, chippys didn't do gravy or curry, and I found it odd most kebab shops round there were mobile vans that popped up outside pubs of a weekend 

Apparently it's claim was it was the biggest village/town in Cambridgeshire but was barely bigger than Blackrod 

Knew a few lads who did Cambridge away all over, went to the big one with them, away at Peterborough, they lost 1-0, Barry Fry did his obligatory run up the touchline 

As you were

I now work on the Science Park opposite TWI for a pharma company, ypu may of heard of them 😉

Just now, DavidLeesMullet said:

Got a mate in Burwell, talk about the middle of nowhere!!!

Yeah, it is a very very strange place is the fens, lived on edge of peaks in Cheshire before and to move somewhere so flat takes a bit of getting used to. Been here over 6 years now, weather is better, norfolk coast is superb, but they haven't got a clue what a decent pub is (outside of Cambridge) and the house and beer are too expensive 😀

18 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Yeah, it is a very very strange place is the fens, lived on edge of peaks in Cheshire before and to move somewhere so flat takes a bit of getting used to. Been here over 6 years now, weather is better, norfolk coast is superb, but they haven't got a clue what a decent pub is (outside of Cambridge) and the house and beer are too expensive 😀

Only time I've been to Norfolk is Norwich itself, beautiful looking city.

• Members

Traditionally speaking I start drinking on a Saturday at 3pm with the football. 12:30 KO has me probably having to keep up the tradition, it could get silly and I might be too wankered to watch the boxing 

Ahh well

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Traditionally speaking I start drinking on a Saturday at 3pm with the football. 12:30 KO has me probably having to keep up the tradition, it could get silly and I might be too wankered to watch the boxing 

Ahh well

It’s 12.00 kick off, don’t miss it!