Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FGR Away

RUREADY2ROLL

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

Ok I see how it is. If you have an alternate opinion to the people that have been “on here ages” then you’re a moaning fucker. 

I happen to be over the moon with how things are going and I hope that 1-0 leads are enough to gain promotion. 

Go on.. your tempted...😂 5 things, just 5 it’s not many, it won’t take long

1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It was Garry Player & his words were "the more I practice the luckier I get".

Yeah that is what I meant ! Watching some murder stuff on telly , my version really made no sense in this context ! 

1 minute ago, desperado said:

Go on.. your tempted...😂 5 things, just 5 it’s not many, it won’t take long

5 things that I’m pleased about during our unbeaten run? 

1. We are winning games for a change

2. Defence is rock solid

3. Trying to play football on the deck

4. We have some sort of identity that’s been lacking since Big Sam

5. Ian Evatt

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

2. Defence is rock solid

5. Ian Evatt

Good lad. 

Bit like @JimmyRiddle did this morning in our debate and to be fair always from @Johnnyrotten, a balanced view when throwing out some criticism is always better received.

There’s so much more to be positive about at the moment. As @Ani alluded to earlier, we are never beyond trying to get better and we’d all like to score more goals, IE himself has said this, but the game management during this run has been fantastic regardless of some of the narrow wins.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, RatchetMan said:

we aren’t “so in control” though, FGR looked  the better side yesterday, we were fortunate that their striker isn’t very good.

I feel that a select few on here border on arrogance and get a bit carried away with how things are. For example, look at the Walsall thread and notice how many people were so sure that we’d brush them aside.

You really think FGR looked the better side yesterday? 🤔

59 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Yet we limited the to one real chance all game, which was the result of a mistake by Thomason.

Bit harsh on Thomason, that. Wasn’t exactly a good ball in to him from Santos. 

Right ok. You lot are correct, FGR (a side who have been near the top all season) are a bag of shite.. yesterday was never in doubt and nor will the remaining 9 games be.

You’re getting it 👍 Get that champers on ice. COYWM 

22 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

2. Defence is rock solid

5. Ian Evatt

👍 

On these I agree wholeheartedly with you

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Bit harsh on Thomason, that. Wasn’t exactly a good ball in to him from Santos. 

You’re getting it 👍 Get that champers on ice. COYWM 

Wasn't meant to be a criticism of Thomason, more just pointing out it was a mistake that lead to their one chance. Probably didn't need to mention him by name. 

Just now, CambridgeBWFC said:

Wasn't meant to be a criticism of Thomason, more just pointing out it was a mistake that lead to their one chance. Probably didn't need to mention him by name. 

No I get you and tbf I was cursing him at the time, but Santos put far too much behind it when watching the replay. DJ more than covered for them though and that’s the making of a good team in my book 👍  

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

No I get you and tbf I was cursing him at the time, but Santos put far too much behind it when watching the replay. DJ more than covered for them though and that’s the making of a good team in my book 👍  

Yeah, thought Santos could have done a bit better with his positioning as well when it did come back. But one possible mistake of note in ages, and as you say DJ was right on it to take it of their striker. They are definitely all together as a defensive unit and you see from how they react to each other when clearances/blocks are made how much clean sheets mean to them. All expertly controlled by Gilks.

So some stats, make of them what you will;

13 games, 50 shots on target 20 goals which seems a fair ratio.

However, we had 11 shots against Cambridge, which was universally lauded as the best we have played all season, despite the twitchy ending. The next highest was 5 shots.

Take Cambridge out of the equation, we had 39 shots on target over 12 games, ave 3.25 a game, or one shot every 28 mins!. I have no bench mark, but that seems extremely low, especially for a team on such an excellent run as we are and with the resources we have in the 4th division.

But it would explain why some games are as dull as ditchwater. As it happens I was less bothered yesterday against a promotion rival, and thought it was a hard fought win, rather that say the laboured performance against Port Vale.

Some more stats, we only had 3 shots on target against Oldham despite them being down to 10 men, and had less shots than goals at Mansfield!

So I'm chuffed to bits we are on the run we are, and hope we get promoted; IE has impressed after a dodgy start, and the result is the most important thing, but with these tight margins it isn't giving us much margin of error.

So more displays like Cambridge please, they've shown they're capable.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

we aren’t “so in control” though, FGR looked  the better side yesterday, we were fortunate that their striker isn’t very good.

I feel that a select few on here border on arrogance and get a bit carried away with how things are. For example, look at the Walsall thread and notice how many people were so sure that we’d brush them aside.

Got to be a WUM.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

I’m new to this forum and not here to make enemies. Well wishings to you all and let’s hope we go up 

Don't think anyone will really have a problem with you on here, it's like a chat in the pub.

11 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

Second half I thought they were better going forward. Other than the goal we created nothing

They created nothing at all in the 2nd half. They could have had a couple in the first. We really shut the game down 2nd half, I thought.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Good lad. 

Bit like @JimmyRiddle did this morning in our debate and to be fair always from @Johnnyrotten, a balanced view when throwing out some criticism is always better received.

There’s so much more to be positive about at the moment. As @Ani alluded to earlier, we are never beyond trying to get better and we’d all like to score more goals, IE himself has said this, but the game management during this run has been fantastic regardless of some of the narrow wins.

Fair points.  Always happy to have a balanced debate with reasonable folk.

A 6th big positive apart from the obvious impact of the new signings, is Baptiste.  Becoming one of my favourite players, from being one of my least favourite.  It will be interesting to see if he gets a new contract next season if we're in league one (for debate in May).

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair points.  Always happy to have a balanced debate with reasonable folk.

A 6th big positive apart from the obvious impact of the new signings, is Baptiste.  Becoming one of my favourite players, from being one of my least favourite.  It will be interesting to see if he gets a new contract next season if we're in league one (for debate in May).

I missed it, did they give out an official sky MOTM? I know Hendrie was impressed with both Santos and Baptiste