Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Players Who Had Pubs.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I seem to recall 'Sir' Roger Hunt had something to do with a pub in Culcheth near Glazebury where he comes from.

He had a haulage company in Culcheth, not sure about the pub though...

Roger Hunt still lives near Culcheth, also don't recall him being involved in a pub. Talking about Frank Worthington, think Bill Shankly tried to sign him for Liverpool, but didn't because of his high blood pressure, Worthington went away to relax in Majorca or somewhere and his blood pressure was even higher when he came back. He would have made a dreadful pub owner.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Roger Hunt still lives near Culcheth, also don't recall him being involved in a pub. Talking about Frank Worthington, think Bill Shankly tried to sign him for Liverpool, but didn't because of his high blood pressure, Worthington went away to relax in Majorca or somewhere and his blood pressure was even higher when he came back. He would have made a dreadful pub owner.

I used to be a member at Leigh Golf Club which is in Culcheth. Was sat in the bar after a round next to a table with Roger Hunt getting 'interviewed' to become a member. Recognised him straight away and thought fucking hell if I can get in they won't turn Roger Hunt down. Reckon that was about 1997

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Glenn Keeley had the Woodlands in Blackburn and a boozer in Leyland in the 90’s

He still lives in Leyland.

I've done business with him over the last few years. He has a kitchen showroom in Thornton.

A bit more tenuous but The Anchor, off Bradshawgate was run for 20 years by Aggie & Ken Daly. Their utterly beautiful daughter was married to Paul Hallows. They often ran the pub when A&K were away.

The Ian Greaves team of the day were frequent visitors ... tbh I think they were regular pub-crawlers on a post game Saturday evening. That was where they started or finished. I recall a spectacularly drunk Ian Greaves after our promotion ending defeat to Sammy Chung's Wolves. " .... an, an, an after the match ... d'yu know ... d'yu know wha' fckg Chung fckg sssshed to fckg me ? D'you ?  He ssshed ... "yoooo deservedddd promo-shun". He fckg did ... little yellow cunt !!"

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Steejay said:

He still lives in Leyland.

I've done business with him over the last few years. He has a kitchen showroom in Thornton.

He nice fella, the woodlands was my local so got to know him and his mrs quite well. Nobody caused any trouble when he was the gaffer either, he'd have nutted them to the other end of town

On 20/03/2021 at 22:49, leigh white said:

I called in the Richmond in Southport a good few years ago and Mickey Walsh was serving, what a nice bloke he was and had time to talk about Bolton.

In more recent times Mike Walsh ran a Pizza Restaurant on the Costa Blanca - saw him a few times - kept very quiet about his football career - none of his staff I met at the time new anything of it - sold up a couple of years ago and back in the UK 

51 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

In more recent times Mike Walsh ran a Pizza Restaurant on the Costa Blanca - saw him a few times - kept very quiet about his football career - none of his staff I met at the time new anything of it - sold up a couple of years ago and back in the UK 

Aye, I think he may have managed Southport at the time or got sacked and was running the pub.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Sunbed was often pissed up 

We must’ve been delayed coming away from Arsenal in the mini-bus following the FACup victory as we passed the team bus parked up with Browny passing a few cases of ale up the steps.

It seems Bruce Ricoh had remained down south and Browny, as team captain took up the chance to be gaffer.

While the cat’s away...