Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

RIP Frank Worthington

DazBob

7 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

If there was such a thing as a time machine the one match I would return to was that Friday night before Christmas 1978, I was eighteen and the shit received from Bolton rags since primary school was laid to rest in one single 90 minutes. I can't remember the match in great detail but do remember we dominated and Worthington was brilliant. God bless you Frank!

Had a Christmas party the same night at Bolton Cricket club, went to the game and on to the party ... I was a fucking mess that night I can tell

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Utter scum bags. At least we got the win. I’ve just remembered one thing that many of the Man U fans went home at HT the embankment emptied well before the 90 minutes was up, but still can’t remember the bloody game. 

I was in the manny road paddock, surrounded by the fuckers, but it was eerily empty with 15 mins to go

57 minutes ago, freds dad said:

I was at all three, the DMB match, Blackburn and that goal and was in awe of Frank. I had the white shirt with Umbro trim which was worn all the time and then stored in my mums loft until she moved and threw it all out.

I also wagged an afternoon off school to go to the opening of his clothes shop in town.

Thanks for the memories Frank.  RIP.

Was his shop on Mawdsley St?

14 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Without being pedantic we wasnt relegated the season he was top scorer

I was still being tied into my rocking chair and drinking from a Tommy-Tippee cup then, not stood on the terrace dressed like a Bay City Roller.

Unfortunately.

I'd been misinformed, corrected.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Good Knee said:

1978 79 relegated and Worthy top scorer , I'd discovered beer but sure i wasn't that pissed. 

Fuck me I must have been, ive always gone on about him being top scorer for a relegated club.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19180390.frank-worthington-passes-away-72-tributes-bolton-wanderers-team-mates/

Some good quotes from BW players in this article for anyone that's not seen it.

As an aside, Peter Nicholson reminisces about that volley Worthy scored at City in 78/79 and claims to have put the cross in, it was Roy Greaves!  And he thought Reid equalised with a pen, but that was a different game a year later when Worthy had left.  I remember that game as my first ever away game, was sat in City end, their fans singing "City are back" when Tueart put them 2 up.  Loved it when we came back to 2-2 with Reid's last minute pen.