Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tides.

leigh white

42 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Ever been in a situation when the tide caught you out when you decided to have a little walk on the sands ? Being on a beach and then water surrounded you.

A mate of mine from Birmingham visited me about 3 years ago. Him and his Mrs were in Saundersfoot drinking and asked a local if they could get to Tenby by walking down and across the beach when the tide was out (I think that's impossible)

They got about 15 mins in when the tide started to come in. Was up to their neck in water and smashed against the rocks. Lost his shopping, phone and camera etc. 

Silly bastard can't swim either, don't know why he risked it tbh. Made it back to shore holding on to his Mrs. 

Walked through Saundersfoot in peak summer looking like castaway... back to his caravan.

2 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

A mate of mine from Birmingham visited me about 3 years ago. Him and his Mrs were in Saundersfoot drinking and asked a local if they could get to Tenby by walking down and across the beach when the tide was out (I think that's impossible)

They got about 15 mins in when the tide started to come in. Was up to their neck in water and smashed against the rocks. Lost his shopping, phone and camera etc. 

Silly bastard can't swim either, don't know why he risked it tbh. Made it back to shore holding on to his Mrs. 

Walked through Saundersfoot in peak summer looking like castaway... back to his caravan.

Christ, I thought it was bad on Morecambe Bay.

• Moderators

Nearly got stuck on Lindisfarne once and had a panicked drive back to the mainlan

once in Byron bay, swam out to a ship wreck about 100 metres out 

easy enough 

turned around to come back and realised no matter how hard i swam i was being swept away from the coast 

felt like half an hour of panic swimming against the tide, might have only been 5 minutes, but eventually I was swept back to the beach 

Exhausted, lay down, no suncream, fell asleep, woke up burnt to fuck about two hours later, got sun stroke, couldn't move for two days

holiday of a lifetime

• Site Supporter

Used to go camping at Shell Island at Llanbedr half way between Barmouth and Harlech. Used to lose count of the number of people who didn't read the tide tables prior to going out. I reckon the causeway is covered for a minimum five hours even by normal tides. 

Cars parked outside (and day visitors on the island) with whole families asleep in them waiting for the road to reappear.

We once fed a family who were stuck or side with nothing. 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Zico said:

Nearly got stuck on Lindisfarne once and had a panicked drive back to the mainlan

once in Byron bay, swam out to a ship wreck about 100 metres out 

easy enough 

turned around to come back and realised no matter how hard i swam i was being swept away from the coast 

felt like half an hour of panic swimming against the tide, might have only been 5 minutes, but eventually I was swept back to the beach 

Exhausted, lay down, no suncream, fell asleep, woke up burnt to fuck about two hours later, got sun stroke, couldn't move for two days

holiday of a lifetime

‘Stralia

Everything there wants you to die horribly.

There's a little island just off Lindisfarne village with a cross/shrine on it accessible at low tide.

I was beachcombing and when I looked up the tide had started to come in and my dog was stranded on a rock with his paw up.

Had to wade across about waist deep and rescue him. I was sodden and the little fkkr was bone dry, it was only about 50 yds... does this count?

• Members
2 hours ago, Morizio said:

Didn’t get cut off but the tide came in at Southport last year whilst on the beach near to the pier. Was quite interesting filming it coming in as I’d never seen it come in before at Southport. 

Don't think I've ever seen the tide in at Southport. 

26 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Don't think I've ever seen the tide in at Southport. 

I think it is a rare phenomenon but I had difficulty in explaining this to a Scottish friend of mine who lives on the coast in Fife and is used to seeing low and high tide. 

Maybe some folk more knowledgeable about this could educate us🤷‍♂️

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Morizio said:

I think it is a rare phenomenon but I had difficulty in explaining this to a Scottish friend of mine who lives on the coast in Fife and is used to seeing low and high tide. 

Maybe some folk more knowledgeable about this could educate us🤷‍♂️

edit = link added https://www.merseyrail.org/destination-merseyside/articles/9-facts-you-didn-t-know-about-southport.aspx
Those who frequent Southport on a regular basis, even those who live there, won’t be able to recall many occasions when the sea was coaxed close to sea walls. Therefore, the town has had to live with an enduring myth that the sea tide never comes in. This isn’t entirely true, but its sparse appearances only add to this impression. As a result, it’s a seaside resort with plenty of beach to go around. The reason for Southport’s shy tide isn’t entirely clear, but the length and flatness of the beach is said to keep the tide at bay through most of the year. In 2015 however, thanks to a super moon, the tide ran all the way up to the sea walls.

Edited by MickyD