Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Newport (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

I’d take a draw considering Tranmere will probably drop points too. I do think we’ll scrap a win though

It terms of our expectations then pre-game we are not far away, strangely maybe I am more expectant, as I would be disappointed with a draw, at this stage only a win would make me happy. Any win. 

A draw would leave me reflective of what could have been (depending on circumstances and other results). Maybe where we differ is that, despite me not ignoring the negatives, I would continue to focus on the positives. Considering where we are, where we’ve come from, what we are capable of doing, still keeping an unbeaten run going and still being in a position to get promotion should be the overriding factors if we get 1 or 3 points Monday. 

Do you not agree?

10 minutes ago, desperado said:

It terms of our expectations then pre-game we are not far away, strangely maybe I am more expectant, as I would be disappointed with a draw, at this stage only a win would make me happy. Any win. 

A draw would leave me reflective of what could have been (depending on circumstances and other results). Maybe where we differ is that, despite me not ignoring the negatives, I would continue to focus on the positives. Considering where we are, where we’ve come from, what we are capable of doing, still keeping an unbeaten run going and still being in a position to get promotion should be the overriding factors if we get 1 or 3 points Monday. 

Do you not agree?

It is a bit weird at the moment. We realistically have 4 possible outcomes this season. win the league, top three , play offs and outside top 7 

If we want to win the league we are playing catch up so need to win. 
Other than people having bet on us winning the league I do not really care us winning league so all about top 3 for me. This then becomes a 'must not lose game' as leaves them a fair way back so we are 3 from 6 for top 3, If they win they will still be contenders. 

If we do not get top 7 from current position it will be a disaster as those two options can be ignored. 

So on balance for me a 'must not lose' game but one I think we can win and if we do a massive step towards top 3. Bookies have us at 6/4 

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

It is a bit weird at the moment. We realistically have 4 possible outcomes this season. win the league, top three , play offs and outside top 7 

Other than people having bet on us winning the league I do not really care us winning league so all about top 3 for me. This then becomes a 'must not lose game' as leaves them a fair way back so we are 3 from 6 for top 3, If they win they will still be contenders. 

If we do not get top 7 from current position it will be a disaster as those two options can be ignored. 

So on balance for me a 'must not lose' game but one I think we can win and if we do a massive step towards top 3. Bookies have us at 6/4 

I don’t think “outside top 7” is realistic from here, unless we collapse 

I agree that “must not lose”, but I think we are back to winning ways and rattling the division.

Currently we are well above where I wanted us to be at Christmas.

Got to squeeze the most out of tomorrow considering pitch, weather blah blah. Then on Tuesday morning set out the plan to get us over the line.

My opinion/advice? Keep playing our game, it's done alright for us so far

After a very enjoyable  easter sunday barbie at my daughters place & being able to see grandkids etc for first time in ages; also aided by stella, prosecco, & red wine. we'll FCKN DO 'EM!!!!!  0-4 . Gowling, Morgan, Greaves & a penalty from Dunne.....     Time for bed said Zebedee............boing!!

Stella, Prosecco AND red wine? That’s some headache you’ll have tomorrow. Have a lie in, then a sausage & egg toasted muffin for brekkie followed by a good walk to clear the cobwebs and you’ll be sorted with a brew and and a hobnob at 3.00 for the match to enjoy our splendid 2-0 victory in Welsh Wales 👍

21 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

Stella, Prosecco AND red wine? That’s some headache you’ll have tomorrow. Have a lie in, then a sausage & egg toasted muffin for brekkie followed by a good wank to clear the cobwebs and you’ll be sorted with a brew and and a hobnob at 3.00 for the match to enjoy our splendid 2-0 victory in Welsh Wales 👍

Edited for accuracy.

Can’t see us staying unbeaten until the end of the season. We have to lose at some point. Could be tomorrow. The world won’t end if we do. Other results around us have been very kind. Lady Luck has shone brightly on us.

Top 3 will do just fine for me. 

Edited by Smiley

All I'd want to see is us doing things on the ball a lot quicker than Friday, it was too ponderous, predictable and easy to defend against. Suspect Newport will be up for it and will force the pace of the game to be quicker. 

Wouldn't be over bothered if they had a bit of the ball and we were effective on the counter once we took it off them. Having said all that, pitch and weather could make it a lottery

What’s all this weather could be an issue stuff? It hasn’t rained for ages so the pitch should be absolutely fine and there’s no rain forecast for tomorrow, just a bit windy, but same for both teams. We’re not going there for draws, if we do that we’ll be out of the top 3 and we mustn’t do that. For crying out loud, with the team we’ve got if we can’t beat the likes of Newport who’ve lost their last 3 anyway, then we should pack up. Only wins now and we’ll finish as champions. Another narrow win but a win all the same, after Friday the boys won’t let us and themselves down again.

17 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

For crying out loud, with the team we’ve got if we can’t beat the likes of Newport who’ve lost their last 3 anyway, then we should pack up.

Setting yourself up for a fall with that talk.  They are in the mix for a reason! hopefully we will win, and yes perhaps we should  on the run we are on and given their current form but football is fickle business and we might be due a defeat. I hope not, but if that happens it won't be the end of the world and we go again.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Ani said:

Yes completely agree

A defeat today would be hard to take, but there’d still be enough games to pull ourselves round, put it behind us and move on. A draw, although disappointing would, still keep all promotion options open and on reflection at the end of the season maybe a decent point to take. A win would be superb and would really make a statement to those around that a top 3 spot is ours and we are not giving it up.

Anything but defeat is a Brucie Bonus.   We’re on a superb run, something unimaginable a few months back, and just to keep that run going is putting the stamp on our intentions which will demoralise the teams around us.  Being unstoppable at this stage of the season is a lift for all of us, they’ll probably park the bus or just go for the jugular, we just need to stick to our game plan and hurt when we can.   I’m not going to predict a score as I’m shit at it.