Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Newport (A)

Leyther_Matt

I’m not saying I have the answers Spider, the players didn’t intend to miss and I’m sure they’re as frustrated as all of us but I do wonder if we do the right things in training about actually scoring. We did everything right first half except shoot or head on target and this isn’t the first game we’ve scorned good positions. I just made a comment and appreciate different ones, there’s just no need for insults and abuse. Just post counter comments and create a debate. Isn’t that what boards like this are for?

6 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Spearing injured for Tramps, came off first half, could be a big loss for them if he is out for a couple or more games.

Would be a loss and there keeper is definitely out for the season . Vaughan top scorer is expected back before the end of the season but he is made of jelly so who knows 

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I’m not saying I have the answers Spider, the players didn’t intend to miss and I’m sure they’re as frustrated as all of us but I do wonder if we do the right things in training about actually scoring. We did everything right first half except shoot or head on target and this isn’t the first game we’ve scorned good positions. I just made a comment and appreciate different ones, there’s just no need for insults and abuse. Just post counter comments and create a debate. Isn’t that what boards like this are for?

“Boards like this”.........

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

But we all quoted your opening point that “Didn’t deserve a point today, we should’ve won this comfortably...” 

In a single sentence you contradicted yourself.

Christ Micky, are you trying to be dumb? We didn’t deserve a point because we threw away chances, is that too difficult for you to comprehend?

3 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Read back numpty. I was responding to being sworn at and insulted. You obviously think that’s fine, I don’t.

But people on this board swear, it happens. 
You said you do not swear but very quickly you were being naughty. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

We seem to only want to score the perfect goal. Shot free kick after short free kick, take a chance we may get lucky! 

Outside Doyle Fonz and Sarc next top scorer has 2!

Cant agree with either of those statements. 

Firstly we tried all sorts today to get a goal. Ok it didn’t work, but we got early crosses into the box, quick through balls into attacking players, direct corners into box and shots from outside the box, hardly a team who “only want to score the perfect goal”

And there’s plenty of teams (much better teams than us who have gone on to win premiership titles) who rely on 2/3 players to score the majority of their goals. Rooney and Van Persie in 12/13 and Costa and Hazard in 16/17. 

It’s pretty unlucky that one of our best goal scorers, Sarcevic, is injured at the moment.

Im quite pleased, in terms of evidence against the doubters, that the main culprit today for misses and us not winning the game, is Lee. Arguably our best player.

And justifies the point that we are not going to walk over every team in this division. We are not streets ahead of every team. IE is not making incorrect decisions (unless you think dropping Lee is justified?) 

This team is not perfect, they are suspect to inconsistencies, they don’t put away chances we all feel they should. So what? What are the doubters actually claiming here? 

We are so much better than what we were in December. We are still work in progress. Why is that so difficult for some people to accept? 

I'm not feeling as despondent as some, and I still think we're well placed, but I have to admit that I've sensed we've needed a fresh impetus recently. 

If there's such a thing as a good time to lose an unbeaten run I think it'd be now. It might actually free us up a bit. Less focus on maintaining an unbeaten run and more focus on having a strong finish.

I'm sick of these fat cunt referees in this league who can't be arsed jogging to keep up with a game with flow & tempo in it so chooses to stop, start, stop, start every single 5 seconds for things like Gilks or Baptiste taking a quick free kick in our own box. We looked well up for it in the first 45 but how shocking is our composure in front of goal. Our bigger players from the back should be chipping in but what about the players who play in behind Doyle? Every single one of them the ghost delfouneso, Dapo, Isgrove, Maddison, Elbouzedi no matter who's on the pitch they're getting no goals/no assists they really need to step up... Theyre the creative trio they may press & link up okay but the numbers are tragic. As for set pieces its like we're playing with one hand tied behind our back, all these teams we're playing don't even want the ball in play meaning we're going to struggle for rhythm & patterns of play as most of our goals have to be perfect from open play which is hard when you have these fucking god awful rugby pitches & obese refs/linesmen who are to whistle happy. Still got hope for the auto's but if we have to go through the play offs I can see a team doing a job on us at our ground shithousing a 0-0 with the bus out then punishing us with a set piece from a long throw at one of thier shit grounds to win the tie.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Yes

But your posts make it sound like some sort of rot has set in.

We’ve lost once in 15 games. Some days, even Man City miss the target and don’t win. It’s not the panic you seem to be suggesting.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, woolli said:

3rd place cunt!

😘

So this team, this manager, the recruitment we’ve made since December and the good run and progress we are making should see us to promotion.

Today was a blip, we missed chances we should have scored, the run was always going to come to an end at some point, good job it happened on a day when results favoured us.

Exactly the right response.

Even though you are an old cantankerous fellow, glad to see there’s a bit of grey matter still left up top and I can bring you round to my way of thinking 👍😂

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, Spider said:

Ok

You now have the floor. How would you arrest this alarming slide down the table?

Drop Doyle, half halfalion, and Isgrove. Shoot Fonz, and play Miller up top with Maddison behind.

All midfield players to be forced into 12 hour shooting practice sessions overnight after training. 

Shock, horror, seventh place team plays third place at home and wins one nil.

Disappointed especially after the first half but its now about how we bounce back, we now need to let everyone know again we are a promotion team

1 minute ago, Dimron said:

Shock, horror, seventh place team plays third place at home and wins one nil.

Disappointed especially after the first half but its now about how we bounce back, we now need to let everyone know again we are a promotion team

Exactly

in the championship 2nd bottom Sheff Weds are currently 5-0 up against play off chasing Cardiff. 

I’d be more concerned if we created no chances today. Yeah it’s annoying but shit happens; just got to show fortitude now

Be reet

19 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

What’s all this weather could be an issue stuff? It hasn’t rained for ages so the pitch should be absolutely fine and there’s no rain forecast for tomorrow, just a bit windy, but same for both teams. We’re not going there for draws, if we do that we’ll be out of the top 3 and we mustn’t do that. For crying out loud, with the team we’ve got if we can’t beat the likes of Newport who’ve lost their last 3 anyway, then we should pack up. Only wins now and we’ll finish as champions. Another narrow win but a win all the same, after Friday the boys won’t let us and themselves down again.

Think you were a bit gung ho now? 

• Moderators

Just noticed Morecambe go 3rd if they win their game in hand 

We've had some luck on this run, this weekend we've had none 

Got to step it up for the run in 

Maddison can start the next one for me, without Sarcevic we need a consistent threat from somewhere

• Site Supporter

IE words after defeat

key points for me;

the lads deserved to win the game. We should have been out of sight at half-time.

- we’ve created not just one or two, but three, four, five golden opportunities that we have to take and then we should be out of sight and then it should be game over.

- they can’t be too downbeat because that was a much better performance than Friday.

- Kieran Lee missed the two chances he did. Sometimes that happens in football and there’s no blame - we’ll go again on Saturday.

there isn’t anyone that watched that game today that would say we didn’t deserve to win it.

- For everyone that thought we were just going to cruise over the line with no mishap or worry, it wasn’t ever going to be the case ( @Whitesince63 take note) 

- the amount of crosses we put into the box, the numbers we got into the penalty area, the counterpress was back, the energy was back ( @JimmyRiddle take note) 

We can’t get too downbeat. (Some might struggle with this one)

If anyone disagrees with with any of this. I’m keen to see what it is.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Just noticed Morecambe go 3rd if they win their game in hand 

We've had some luck on this run, this weekend we've had none 

Got to step it up for the run in 

Maddison can start the next one for me, without Sarcevic we need a consistent threat from somewhere

Don't think they have a game in hand mate.