Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

“Classic” films you’ve never seen

Rudy

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

Took my mum to watch Bodyguard the musical for her 50th. She loved it and so did I. I wanted to book The Commitments but then covid came along and fucked up any fun. 

Bodyguard with alexandra burke?

That was very good

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Underpants said:

Rocky Horror is ace.

Not seen it but Rocketman must be worth a watch. I love a bit of Elton.

I thought it was shite and turned off half an hour in, I'd watched Bohemian Rhapsody just before, miles better, but there's only so many 70s rock bummer musicals you can take i guess 

Like the time Deep Impact and Armageddon came out at the same time, still not bothered watching the latter as I saw the former first, same story

3 minutes ago, Zico said:

I thought it was shite and turned off half an hour in, I'd watched Bohemian Rhapsody just before, miles better, but there's only so many 70s rock bummer musicals you can take i guess 

Like the time Deep Impact and Armageddon came out at the same time, still not bothered watching the latter as I saw the former first, same story

Both were biopics but Bohemian Rapsody wasn't a musical. But I get your point.

1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

I can tolerate most of the classic musicals, but the vast majority of the new ones are utter shite

That's a bit harsh considering there are hundreds made each year that do really well. This year there is a Bob Marley musical at the lyric which will be interesting, my other half is working on Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Cinderella which are massive budget shows as well as looking after Wicked which for a 'new' musical is stupidly popular - and also there has been Hamilton which has brought loads of non musical fans in to watch it. 

Given its songs, even Rudy might like it and it's story of American politics.

It's actually a bit of a golden age after years of jukebox musicals which weren't very inventive. 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That's a bit harsh considering there are hundreds made each year that do really well. This year there is a Bob Marley musical at the lyric which will be interesting, my other half is working on Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Cinderella which are massive budget shows as well as looking after Wicked which for a 'new' musical is stupidly popular - and also there has been Hamilton which has brought loads of non musical fans in to watch it. 

It's actually a bit of a golden age after years of jukebox musicals which weren't very inventive. 

Someone at work told me about Hamilton I’ll get round to it, the Marley one has tickled my interest 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Both were biopics but Bohemian Rapsody wasn't a musical. But I get your point.

Yeah, think that's why I didn't enjoy rocketman as much, and I'm not adverse to musicals, i just wasn't expecting it to go down that route and couldn't be arsed

• Members
26 minutes ago, Zico said:

Yeah, think that's why I didn't enjoy rocketman as much, and I'm not adverse to musicals, i just wasn't expecting it to go down that route and couldn't be arsed

Turned it off as soon as someone burst into song 

56 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

How do you rate Dear Evan Hansen & Everybody's Talking About Jamie?

• Site Supporter

I will never ever understand the appeal of watching some dialogue and plot getting going, then the characters all starting to sing the lines and prance around.

Films about bands that have their songs in aren’t musicals, BTW.

Musicals are those cringeworthy monstrosities that just turn dialogue into songs when there’s absolutely no need whatsoever.

You could quite honestly tell me that Radiohead have done a musical and I still wouldn’t watch it.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Spider said:

I will never ever understand the appeal of watching some dialogue and plot getting going, then the characters all starting to sing the lines and prance around.

Films about bands that have their songs in aren’t musicals, BTW.

Musicals are those cringeworthy monstrosities that just turn dialogue into songs when there’s absolutely no need whatsoever.

You could quite honestly tell me that Radiohead have done a musical and I still wouldn’t watch it.

Its all fake plastic trees