Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Best 2 minutes you'll have today....Part One

miamiwhite

It is heart warming and shows the humanity of the man and the impact that seemingly small gestures can have on people who are struggling. You may not get this level of recognition but you can still have the same impact, or more, on another's life by just taking a moment out of your day to recognise and talk with them.

• Members

Not my story but one I’ve heard a few times, there was an academy player when Ray was a coach at Chelsea, he went down watching them and a lad in a training game scored 5 goals, after it Ray went to see him and the lad was walking funny, Ray asked if he was injured he said no he’d forgotten his new boots and these were his old ones.

When Ray left he drove past the same lad at the bus stop, offered him a lift but he declined. Got almost home and the weather was horrific so he went back and picked the lad up, the lad kept saying you can drop us here I can walk the rest. Ray wouldn’t and he got to a right tough area and the lad said sheepishly it’s the big one over there I’ll walk from here but it was late at night and Ray wouldn’t have it so he walked him to his front door, no one was in, few minutes later the young lads Mam came and said sorry I got held up at work, she was working two jobs back to back just to make ends meet. 

Few days later Ray saw the lad arriving to training and his socks and shorts were dirty he said he’d just had a kick about with some mates. Ray said the lad always had a smile on his face when really he didn’t have much. 
They sorted him out with some new boots but Ray left them anonymously, QPR then offered his Mam a job at the ground, more money less hours and more sociable ones. And as far as I’m aware she’s still there now

I’ve heard that story a few times but never known who the player was but I have my suspicions.

Now Chelsea have an academy welfare program that makes sure kids don’t have to buy their own boots until they sign a pro contract, all the kits are washed and cleaned by the club, meals on match days, pickup services  and all internal jobs are offered to relatives of kids of the academy to make sure they don’t go without and working for the right benefits.

It’s referred to at Chelsea as the Ray Wilkins scheme.

• Members
8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Not my story but one I’ve heard a few times, there was an academy player when Ray was a coach at Chelsea, he went down watching them and a lad in a training game scored 5 goals, after it Ray went to see him and the lad was walking funny, Ray asked if he was injured he said no he’d forgotten his new boots and these were his old ones.

When Ray left he drove past the same lad at the bus stop, offered him a lift but he declined. Got almost home and the weather was horrific so he went back and picked the lad up, the lad kept saying you can drop us here I can walk the rest. Ray wouldn’t and he got to a right tough area and the lad said sheepishly it’s the big one over there I’ll walk from here but it was late at night and Ray wouldn’t have it so he walked him to his front door, no one was in, few minutes later the young lads Mam came and said sorry I got held up at work, she was working two jobs back to back just to make ends meet. 

Few days later Ray saw the lad arriving to training and his socks and shorts were dirty he said he’d just had a kick about with some mates. Ray said the lad always had a smile on his face when really he didn’t have much. 
They sorted him out with some new boots but Ray left them anonymously, QPR then offered his Mam a job at the ground, more money less hours and more sociable ones. And as far as I’m aware she’s still there now

I’ve heard that story a few times but never known who the player was but I have my suspicions.

Now Chelsea have an academy welfare program that makes sure kids don’t have to buy their own boots until they sign a pro contract, all the kits are washed and cleaned by the club, meals on match days, pickup services  and all internal jobs are offered to relatives of kids of the academy to make sure they don’t go without and working for the right benefits.

It’s referred to at Chelsea as the Ray Wilkins scheme.

Oh Christ 😭😭😭

On 05/04/2021 at 07:49, Breightmet Boy said:

I don’t know if I’m getting all soppy as I get older but that plucked the heartstrings.   What really cheered me up was he valued the time spent talking more than the money Ray Wilkins gave him.   

Empty your inbox please pal, trying to get the number for Hazzy. Cheers 👍