Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Quick Burnden Question

matty2094

Evening all,

During lockdown this time round I took the plunge to start on a new hobby and started making these models of popular stadiums or iconic stands and I've just had a request through for Burnden Park. 

Now I'm going to show my age here... I never actually went (albeit I was 3 when we moved to the Reebok). My question is, what stand would you say was/is the most iconic looking (from the outside) or the best to replicate in this form? I'm also struggling a bit for decent reference photos so if anyone knows of any good ones that could help, that'd be much appreciated. I'm scouring Google but not having much look at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm finding a few pictures on Google but they're mainly arial shots so difficult to gauge details and specifics.

ExmCgDwW8A0hiDR?format=jpg&name=large

Eudc1U0XEAE6nr-?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by matty2094

• Members
10 hours ago, matty2094 said:

Evening all,

During lockdown this time round I took the plunge to start on a new hobby and started making these models of popular stadiums or iconic stands and I've just had a request through for Burnden Park. 

Now I'm going to show my age here... I never actually went (albeit I was 3 when we moved to the Reebok). My question is, what stand would you say was/is the most iconic looking (from the outside) or the best to replicate in this form? I'm also struggling a bit for decent reference photos so if anyone knows of any good ones that could help, that'd be much appreciated. I'm scouring Google but not having much look at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm finding a few pictures on Google but they're mainly arial shots so difficult to gauge details and specifics.

ExmCgDwW8A0hiDR?format=jpg&name=large

Eudc1U0XEAE6nr-?format=jpg&name=large

Are you selling these? I'd love a Burnden Park one for my Dad? 

There was a Bolton artist who did a water colour of the front of Burnden in the Lowry style, saw it in a calendar my mum had and framed it. The picture is on my office wall at work and I'll check it out next week for you. Can't remember the artist's name, did local water colours and I believe she brought the calendar at St Georges Church.

Manny Road definitely with the car park poster board with the next home game pasted on and the "Sunshine Deserts" sign

Just not the Supermarket.

An external of Burnden can only be from the Manny Rd. Car Park, with the club house, showing the entrances to the Embankment & the Lever End. Hopefully showing the Club Shop.

But, to be fair, it was never a picturesque view.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

38 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

I don’t recall ever seeing a picture of behind the embankment from outside the ground . We’re all the turnstiles on the Manchester road side to get into the embankment end ? 

Don’t know for sure, but I think you could enter the embankment from the other side as well.

• Site Supporter

The railway lines were immediately behind the embankment so the turnstiles were at both Manchester Rd and Burnden Terrace sides. Once it was separated by the double line of fencing it also had a walkway made across the back so fans came in at Manchester Road and across the back to enter the stadium from the back.

Either entry became a bit of a ball ache for the police as it was very difficult to segregate outside the ground. Even when the away coach park was on spare ground where Scholey Street Police Station now stands, away fans exited through the Manchester Road gates to be met by Manny Road terrace mobs, made their way up behind KwikFit or whatever the tyre place was called, turned right to their coaches to be met with the masses from Burnden Terrace.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

The railway lines were immediately behind the embankment so the turnstiles were at both Manchester Rd and Burnden Terrace sides. Once it was separated by the double line of fencing it also had a walkway made across the back so fans came in at Manchester Road and across the back to enter the stadium from the back.

Either entry became a bit of a ball ache for the police as it was very difficult to segregate outside the ground. Even when the away coach park was on spare ground where Scholey Street Police Station now stands, away fans exited through the Manchester Road gates to be met by Manny Road terrace mobs, made their way up behind KwikFit or whatever the tyre place was called, turned right to their coaches to be met with the masses from Burnden Terrace.

Can’t remember turnstiles for the embankment on the Burnden paddock side, I seem to remember an exit gate from embankment on the Burnden side, or is my memory playing tricks.