Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Quick Burnden Question

matty2094

• 4 weeks later...

This took a bit longer than anticipated (mainly because the ancient laptop I was using to operate the laser packed in)!

I’ve cut V1 out which I’ve picked up a couple of issues with. Will try and get V2 sorted tonight and providing it looks ok, I’ll stick some photos on here for feedback. 

• Site Supporter

You really need a lot bigger frame and add the embankment on at the left side. It also needs a pitched roof possibly with either the Booths Steelworks sign on top or maybe the top of the tv gantry.

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

You really need a lot bigger frame and add the embankment on at the left side. It also needs a pitched roof possibly with either the Booths Steelworks sign on top or maybe the top of the tv gantry.

Unfortunately I'm limited by the size of the laser that I've got at the minute (oh matron). I can only cut/engrave sheets up to A4 and I can't make the design any smaller without compromising on the detail. Long term I want something a bit bigger but at this stage I'm snookered.

I tried to use Zico's suggestion from earlier in the thread as a reference as Normid would've meant I ran in to the same problem mentioned above - having to compromise on detail. I take your point though! I'll look in to ways of adding the roof. It's quite a shallow pitch which might make it tricky to show however I like the challenge.

On 05/04/2021 at 10:13, Zico said:

if you're going to do it would have to be this bit:

mlJkCFn.png

you'll need one of these over to the right

DXi-qIzX0AE87zH.jpg

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

Unfortunately I'm limited by the size of the laser that I've got at the minute (oh matron). I can only cut/engrave sheets up to A4 and I can't make the design any smaller without compromising on the detail. Long term I want something a bit bigger but at this stage I'm snookered.

I tried to use Zico's suggestion from earlier in the thread as a reference as Normid would've meant I ran in to the same problem mentioned above - having to compromise on detail. I take your point though! I'll look in to ways of adding the roof. It's quite a shallow pitch which might make it tricky to show however I like the challenge.

You say you took on my suggestion but i can't see the spaz chariot in V2

Pretty good is that, shame you can’t add colour, dark blue wooden gates for the players entrance next to ticket office to the left and the Accrington red brickwork for the bricked areas. Also wasn’t there a BWFC badge tiled into the wall near ticket office or am I dreaming that? 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Pretty good is that, shame you can’t add colour, dark blue wooden gates for the players entrance next to ticket office to the left and the Accrington red brickwork for the bricked areas. Also wasn’t there a BWFC badge tiled into the wall near ticket office or am I dreaming that? 

Yes, on the blue tiles to the left of the ticket office, by the main entrance.

31 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Burnden Park - Front approach

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Traf said:

Burnden Park - Front approach

That has me reminiscing about match daysas a kid in the early/mid 70s. Getting to the ground early, mooching around the Happy shop. Buying sew on badges for the latest scarf, also buying the tin ones with a players picture on. Woollen scarf round neck, silk ones round wrists, reading the programme whilst waiting for autographs. 

Would occasionally be stood on the carpark in awe & trepidation as the police marched a big away following to the Lever end, particularly remember Forest in Cloughie 1st year, I think they brought 2 specials. 

Then there was the atmosphere of a big game at Burnden, so unique I can still feel & smell it, especially a night game, followed by the walk back up Manny Rd to town, sometimes joyous, sometimes sad & often volatile! 

What I'd give to go back & experience it just one more time 😢

• Moderators
20 hours ago, matty2094 said:

184598391_115146477369626_17238945547810

And here's V2. Any feedback is much appreciated. Reference photos were a lot harder to come by than I expected.

I know wikipedia says the capacity was 25,000 when it closed, but I don’t think that is right. It was lower than that.

4 minutes ago, Horwich said:

I know wikipedia says the capacity was 25,000 when it closed, but I don’t think that is right. It was lower than that.

As the last game v Charlton was a sell-out, and there being no segregation, as we were given the Embankment, that would be a pretty good indication of capacity.

It was 22,030 on that night.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ZiggyStardust said:

As the last game v Charlton was a sell-out, and there being no segregation, as we were given the Embankment, that would be a pretty good indication of capacity.

It was 22,030 on that night.

Thats what I mean