Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BWFC V Harrogate Town

Ratwhite

17 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Harrogate LB Dan Jones was superb for them today, if we can't keep D-John we may have to look elsewhere.

Yeah he was good. I was impressed with a few of their players but he did stand out.

If we get promoted, I don't see why we couldn't keep hold of DJ other than possibly wage demands.

He's come from a Championship club and would have to show his worth in L1 at least before he gets another chance in that league.

Will have to set up a thread for what players we should re-sign and which players we should let go when the season is over.

Must-keep for me would be Lee, Santos and MJ. 

Would like to keep hold of Doyle, DJ, Jones, Isgrove, Sarcevic, Thomason, Afolayan.

Take it or leave it would be Fonz, Delaney, Elbouzedi, Gnahoua.

Undecided on Miller, Darcy, Tutte, Politic, Baptiste, Gilks, Brockbank.

Fuck off would be Gordon, Maddison, Comley.

^^^

Mainly based on if we're in L1.

Edited by Mantra

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

Yeah he was good. I was impressed with a few of their players but he did stand out.

If we get promoted, I don't see why we couldn't keep hold of DJ other than possibly wage demands.

He's come from a Championship club and would have to show his worth in L1 at least before he gets another chance in that league.

Will have to set up a thread for what players we should re-sign and which players we should let go when the season is over.

Must-keep for me would be Lee, Santos and MJ. 

Would like to keep hold of Doyle, DJ, Jones, Isgrove, Sarcevic, Thomason, Afolayan.

Take it or leave it would be Fonz, Delaney, Elbouzedi, Gnahoua.

Undecided on Miller, Darcy, Tutte, Politic, Baptiste, Gilks, Brockbank.

Fuck off would be Gordon, Maddison, Comley.

Doyle & sarce are on 3 year deals 

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Doyle & sarce are on 3 year deals 

Doesn't mean that we won't look to sell them/loan them and look for improvements.

Don't think we will but I'm just basing it off how useful I think they'd be in L1. Doyle is a top class goalscorer at this level and Sarcevic is obviously a great player for L2 also. Not sure how they'd be in L1, not huge room for improvement/potential with Doyle being 33 and Sarce being 29.

Think they'd do a good job in L1 don't get me wrong but think we could improve on them too.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mr Grey said:

Politic is a must keep, as are Darcy, Brockbank, Arthur, Baps and Gilkes.

I've forgot about Delaney, he's a L2 defender at best.

Also some of them players are still under contract for next season. 

Agree. Not sure how Politic can be an undecided when he's been injured all season.

Both him and Darcy have been spoken about IE as players he wants to keep.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm not sure players have got worse as such, just that during this good run, teams have had to work out ways of playing against us.

For the most part that hasn't worked, but on occasions or for part of game it has. That's for the players on the field to realise and work out, and also for IE to change things accordingly. 

So far, so good.

If we are all honest, we were piss poor today. They were more up for it, quicker, winning second balls, more committed. Our constant passing back and sideways puts us on the back foot. But, we have got 3 points, which is what we need as an end product. We must improve big time on Tuesday against a team that as found some form.

Just now, Mantra said:

Doesn't mean that we won't look to sell them/loan them and look for improvements.

Don't think we will but I'm just basing it off how useful I think they'd be in L1. Doyle is a top class goalscorer at this level and Sarcevic is obviously a great player for L2 also. Not sure how they'd be in L1, not huge room for improvement/potential with Doyle being 33 and Sarce being 29.

Think they'd do a good job in L1 don't get me wrong but think we could improve on them too.

Don’t forget you will need a better quality of squad so Doyle maybe back up say

bug I think both could do a job 

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Politic is a must keep, as are Darcy, Brockbank, Arthur, Baps and Gilkes.

I've forgot about Delaney, he's a L2 defender at best.

Also some of them players are still under contract for next season. 

I'd be most likely to agree on Politic but having had such a bad injury, you don't know how that is going to affect his ability. Been out of football for a long time, needs to do some catching up if he were to jump in at L1 level.

Not seen enough of Darcy, Brockbank to call them "Must keep." Can see why you'd say Baps and Gilks based on current form but they're getting on a bit.

I know we like to pass it around and build slowly waiting for a space to open up, but I thought we were even more deliberate and ponderous than usual today.

When we did pass and move quickly, we created chances. I'd like to see us pass a little less and try to move the ball a bit quicker.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree. Not sure how Politic can be an undecided when he's been injured all season.

Both him and Darcy have been spoken about IE as players he wants to keep.

The fact he's been injured all season is precisely the reason I'm undecided on him. Feel for the lad getting injured in pre-season as he showed plenty of potential last season but can't decide on his ability and place in the squad until he's playing again. Big injuries like that can stunt a career.

Not sure where'd you put Darcy but again, barely seen him this season so I couldn't possibly put him in any other category.

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, RatchetMan said:

MJ Williams is decent at this level but we are going to need better players if we want to challenge. 

We are challenging, you stump. We're 3rd in the League.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

I think the Maddison experiment needs to be terminated. Piss poor again today.

He was awful Traf, no getting away from it but where was he supposed to be playing? He totally unsettled Isgrove and Jones down the right by being there when Dapo was on his own down the left. I actually blame IE for that just as I blame him for playing Arthur right wing, which he’s not. Thankfully, he changed it at half time and George was excellent. All in all I think Harrogate are the best team we’ve played this year but thanks to our fighting spirit we pulled it off. Can’t wait for Tuesday now to stuff the Classless of 92. 😉

3 minutes ago, Traf said:

I don't think we've got many who'd hold their own in L1.

Be interested to hear of the few that you do think could hold their own.

My certainties would be Santos, MJ and Lee as I stated above.

Think several in the current squad would be decent L1 squad players but not as comfortable as those 3.

• Site Supporter

Management will be fine L1. Many of the team will be fine l1 which is great if that's where we want to be.

Fortunately we are not dangerously poor anywhere so as long as we make subtle improvements, we can push the higher end of L1.

Let's just get up then think about L1 from there though. Loads of work to do 1st

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, RatchetMan said:

take a deep breath and think before you type

So you're already predicting how this side would struggle in League 1? Jesus wept. You thought we'd lost after 45 minutes today.

Edited by Cheese